Author Topic: tired of replacing cards due to fraud  (Read 2835 times)

Offline pjaffe

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
tired of replacing cards due to fraud
« on: February 08, 2017, 12:29:26 PM »
I currently have Chase United Mileage Plus card.  Living in Cleveland with kids in NYC area still makes United miles worthwhile and I have a bunch already.  I put everything I can on the card and accumulate about 80,000 miles in purchases per year.  Problem is that at least once a year, my card gets compromised and I have to replace it.  I have a total of 6 cards (kids and wife) on the same account.  Since Chase doesn't issue unique numbers to each authorized user, when my cards gets compromised, I have to get the replacements sent out and contact each company that bills me monthly.  Chase does not offer any option for unique card numbers or virtual card numbers for online transactions.

My solution is that I can apply for a Chase United Mileage Plus corporate card which will give a unique card number to each authorized user.  Much better if one card number is compromised.

My question is, since I don't have a business, how do I apply for a corporate card?  I know I have seen people talking about it on Dan's deals but I can't find specifics.  I started the application web page but got nervous when I got to some of the questions.  I can use my name for the business name and my SSN for the tax ID.  The business type has a category for Individual.  I am not sure what to do for number of employees (size of my family?), annual business revenue (my income?) and years in business ( how long I have been married?).

Has anyone done this before that can provide some guidance?

- Peter

Offline SearchGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
Re: tired of replacing cards due to fraud
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 12:30:13 PM »
I currently have Chase United Mileage Plus card.  Living in Cleveland with kids in NYC area still makes United miles worthwhile and I have a bunch already.  I put everything I can on the card and accumulate about 80,000 miles in purchases per year.  Problem is that at least once a year, my card gets compromised and I have to replace it.  I have a total of 6 cards (kids and wife) on the same account.  Since Chase doesn't issue unique numbers to each authorized user, when my cards gets compromised, I have to get the replacements sent out and contact each company that bills me monthly.  Chase does not offer any option for unique card numbers or virtual card numbers for online transactions.

My solution is that I can apply for a Chase United Mileage Plus corporate card which will give a unique card number to each authorized user.  Much better if one card number is compromised.

My question is, since I don't have a business, how do I apply for a corporate card?  I know I have seen people talking about it on Dan's deals but I can't find specifics.  I started the application web page but got nervous when I got to some of the questions.  I can use my name for the business name and my SSN for the tax ID.  The business type has a category for Individual.  I am not sure what to do for number of employees (size of my family?), annual business revenue (my income?) and years in business ( how long I have been married?).

- Peter
First post

Offline Yitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 12:34:40 PM »

- Peter
Yes use your personal name and your SS. I have done it for my wife and myself and never had a problem. Every person can have a business as a consultant. Good luck

Offline pjaffe

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 12:43:45 PM »
What about answering the financial and business questions? Does it matter how long I have been in business?  Can I use my main income source as my business revenue? I don't know which questions they really care about.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 12:57:31 PM »
Why spend on the UA Explorer vs Freedom Unlimited?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 01:03:05 PM »

Dan, of course, is right.  UR points from Chase can be converted to united points (when you have a premier Chase card). Why limit yourself to earning United points?  But when you spend $25 on the United card in a year you get a 10,000 bonus, so maybe keep that much spending on the UA card.

There have been writeups on the main site about applying for business cards without a 'real' business.
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/25391

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/1693

My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 01:04:59 PM »
But when you spend $25 on the United card in a year you get a 10,000 bonus, so maybe keep that much spending on the UA card.
Still less than 1.5mpd
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 01:13:37 PM »
But keep the united card for expanded saver awards. easily worth $95 a year, plus there are retention offers.
^^^

Offline pjaffe

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 01:44:56 PM »
Sorry but I am not terribly fluent in the topic of credit card awards so excuse my ignorance.  From what I understand, the Freedom Unlimited is only helpful for travel if I have a some type of chase premier card - which I don't.  That means I would need to get 2 new different cards - the Freedom Unlimited and a premier card (which one?).  Neither type of card solves my problem of getting cards with unique account numbers for each of my kids while still collecting the miles/points into a single account - which comes with the corporate card.

On top of this, I just read that the corporate card does not report to the credit bureaus so am I hurting myself if I move all of my spending to that card?  How do I  maintain an excellent credit score if they aren't reporting my activity for my main source of spending?

Maybe I am just not understanding how to manage all of this.  Can someone spell it out for me?

- Peter

Offline Abebee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 735
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 02:31:17 PM »
Sorry but I am not terribly fluent in the topic of credit card awards so excuse my ignorance.  From what I understand, the Freedom Unlimited is only helpful for travel if I have a some type of chase premier card - which I don't.

- Peter
You can TRANSFER to united from chase; And the unlimited get 1.5 on the dollar spent

Offline pjaffe

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 02:37:39 PM »
That's good news but my original need was to get unique card numbers for each authorized user which seems to require a corporate card. I could get each user their own card account but then I am stuck trying to pool points from each and paying individual monthly bills.

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 02:40:59 PM »
If your main objective is to have everyone with their own card number but still on the same account than a business card is the way to go. Most members here would go through the extra trouble to earn more points/miles but everyone has their own reasons for doing things a certain way, do what works best for you and if you decide that the extra trouble is worth the extra reward then you can always switch later.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline hide4

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 02:41:47 PM »
On top of this, I just read that the corporate card does not report to the credit bureaus so am I hurting myself if I move all of my spending to that card?  How do I  maintain an excellent credit score if they aren't reporting my activity for my main source of spending?

Maybe I am just not understanding how to manage all of this.  Can someone spell it out for me?

- Peter
It's better when they don't report all your spending to the credit bureaus. Lower utilization.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 02:43:42 PM »
Why spend on the UA Explorer vs Freedom Unlimited?
Doesnt satisfy his need for a business card.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 02:49:23 PM »
If your main objective is to have everyone with their own card number but still on the same account than a business card is the way to go. Most members here would go through the extra trouble to earn more points/miles but everyone has their own reasons for doing things a certain way, do what works best for you and if you decide that the extra trouble is worth the extra reward then you can always switch later.
Or go with Amex/Citi
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 02:51:53 PM »
Or go with Amex/Citi
He wants UA so the only other option is SPG
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline hide4

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 02:53:03 PM »

- Peter
Check this http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/30504

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 04:02:57 PM »
pjaffe,

Open an Ink and a Freedom Unlimited.
The Ink is a business card, so everyone will get a unique number. 
The FU, will earn 1.5 ppd (points per dollar).

For maximum points earning, everyone should have both cards, but use the FU mainly. When the FU becomes compromised, they use the Ink until you get them the replacement FU.

If that's too much work, just use the Ink.
Also, keep the UA card open for expanded saver availability.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 04:06:38 PM by ckmk47 »
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline nirc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 04:11:49 PM »
But keep the united card for expanded saver awards. easily worth $95 a year, plus there are retention offers.

pleas explain what offers. i am not getting any.

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 05:25:03 PM »
you need to ask. theres a thread about it.
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1572.msg1712250#new
^^^