Poll

What would you do in this scenerio?

Check to Surv. cameras? (and make a police report!?)
Go to a junk yard to get a new mirror?
Or online at ebay or Amazon?
Or just drive without one mirror?

Author Topic: Just Saw a box Truck Knock off a guys mirror who was double parked bec of ASP.  (Read 6337 times)

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
A friend of mine double parked his car because of alternate side and a box truck came and knocked off his mirror(the driver was driving like an animal).
 I was sitting in my car waiting till I can leave my car after 11am which is when the asp is over, as I'm sitting in my car this same box truck comes flying past and nearly scratches my whole car if not for me moving on to the side walk a bit with my car!
 Then comes a fedex driver which runs over the mirror by mistake, which he saw the truck before him knock off (fedex driver didn't realize it was a mirror that the guy knocked off only after the fedex truck driving over it!)and said it wasn't his fault rather the truck in front of him.
 There are a few surveillance cameras in the area which I'm sure can see the truck which I saw for myself, and even the license plate. 
 What is the best option out there?
 A new mirror from the junk yard? 
 File a police report? (will he get anywhere with that?)
 It's an older toyata camery assuming I can help him get a cheap mirror?

Thanks

(I thought it was the fedex driver who did it so I snapped a picture of his license plate but the fedex driver came back around to come tell me that it was that box truck who was driving like an animal who knocked it off, which I believe him)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:23:15 AM by myi »
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline koplonko

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
If you can see the license plate from cameras, you should definitely call the police
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hit_and_run

Offline myi

• View Profile
If you can see the license plate from cameras, you should definitely call the police
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hit_and_run
Where will I get if I call?
Just want to know if it's worth the time to go and search through the video camera and see If i can get a clear picture or video!

Also I don't think mine or his time is worth for the 40-50$ for a new mirror just to sit and wait for a police report which takes them up to 2-3 hours if your lucky!
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
Never thought people here on ddf are so shy!
Any thoughts what I should do?!
It was read 50 times but only one thought.
 ;)

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Never thought people here on ddf are so shy!
Any thoughts what I should do?!
It was read 50 times but only one thought.
 ;)

IMO, file a police report
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
 call the police or buy a cheap mirror and have it installed

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
OOTer here, so let me ask a question to make sure I understand.
A car was illegally parked in a driving lane, and was sideswiped by a truck?
^^^

Offline myi

• View Profile
On Alternate side parking in brooklyn it's impossible to find a spot as is hard enough when there's no ASP, so what most of brooklyn does is double park their cars against the other cars from the other side of the street and move their car when asp is over, now at 10:45am when it's 15 minutes before als parking is over most people including myself went and parked there car on the side which has or had ASP and wait 5-15 min will asp will be over and leave the car with a good spot,
 Now by doing the above you causing the double parked car to make it hard for cars to squeeze through and even harder for trucks, now when the truck was going he didn't bother to slow down, rather just flew by and hit this guy's mirror who was double parked!
 (for those who are from lakewood or elsewhere who don't know what Alternate side parking it's when the clean the streets and you can't park on that side for an 1 and 30 min. ) :)   

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
;D  You are SO not a NYer!

I constantly broke the side mirrors of my Implala.  The replacement was less than $60 and I could do the work myself. So, myi, don't bother with the city.  Just get the job done.

My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
During last week's snow, the snow plow drove by my block like a maniac and the back window of my neighbor's car shattered.  I gave him the info.  He fixed it, but it seems he's going to try to get something from the city.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline myi

• View Profile
;D  You are SO not a NYer!

I constantly broke the side mirrors of my Implala.  The replacement was less than $60 and I could do the work myself. So, myi, don't bother with the city.  Just get the job done.

Fixing it is the least of my problems I first need the mirror to fix it!

Have any recommendations for junk yards to pick a driver side mirror for a toyota camery 2001 (I think that's what my freinds car was)

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile

Have any recommendations for junk yards to pick a driver side mirror for a toyota camery 2001 (I think that's what my freinds car was)

Why bother with a junk yard?

For example.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=2001+toyota+camry+mirror

Offline shimmy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Sorry to hear about the damage

Skip the  junkyard buy it on Amazon with Prime (its cheaper and comes quickly, [I have also used Ebay])

in the meantime for a quickfix you can Use packing Tape to hold the mirror in place

Offline SMS331

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Anytime I've had a really simple fix that does not involve opening the hood of my car, I've gone to Willets Point across the street from Citi Field. It's not pretty but they'll have what you need at a very fair price especially if you bargain them down. There are so many shops that you'll be in and out of there in less than 20 minutes.

Offline cholent

• View Profile
Sorry to hear about the damage

Skip the  junkyard buy it on Amazon with Prime (its cheaper and comes quickly, [I have also used Ebay])

in the meantime for a quickfix you can Use packing Tape to hold the mirror in place

That won't work for him since the FedEx truck ran over the mirror after the first truck knocked it off
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
On Alternate side parking in brooklyn it's impossible to find a spot as is hard enough when there's no ASP, so what most of brooklyn does is double park their cars against the other cars from the other side of the street and move their car when asp is over, now at 10:45am when it's 15 minutes before als parking is over most people including myself went and parked there car on the side which has or had ASP and wait 5-15 min will asp will be over and leave the car with a good spot,
 Now by doing the above you causing the double parked car to make it hard for cars to squeeze through and even harder for trucks, now when the truck was going he didn't bother to slow down, rather just flew by and hit this guy's mirror who was double parked!
 (for those who are from lakewood or elsewhere who don't know what Alternate side parking it's when the clean the streets and you can't park on that side for an 1 and 30 min. ) :)
Double parking is still illegal and ticketable. The cops and the communities have an understanding that they let it slide during ASP. That being said, the truck is still at fault.
GIYF - http://www.auto-insurance-knowledge.com/parked-car.html
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
 (for those who are from lakewood or elsewhere who don't know what Alternate side parking it's when they clean smear the dirt on the streets and you can't park on that side for an 1 and 30 min. ) :)
FTFY

Offline myi

• View Profile
FTFY
I remember seeing that discussion somewhere, I still think it does something!
Double parking is still illegal and ticketable. The cops and the communities have an understanding that they let it slide during ASP. That being said, the truck is still at fault.
GIYF - http://www.auto-insurance-knowledge.com/parked-car.html
Have you ever seen someone get a ticket while double parking when there's asp across the street?
Wonder if you can fight it?
 While on this topic I did see a ticket cop pull up behind all the double parked cars at 11:04am 4 minutes after asp. Mamzerim..

Offline Abebee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 735
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE
I remember seeing that discussion somewhere, I still think it does something! Have you ever seen someone get a ticket while double parking when there's asp across the street?
Wonder if you can fight it?
Ive never seem, but its a courtesy so i think they can technically ticket you