Poll

What would you do in this scenerio?

Check to Surv. cameras? (and make a police report!?)
Go to a junk yard to get a new mirror?
Or online at ebay or Amazon?
Or just drive without one mirror?

Author Topic: Just Saw a box Truck Knock off a guys mirror who was double parked bec of ASP.  (Read 6329 times)

Offline dsw193

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I remember seeing that discussion somewhere, I still think it does something!  Have you ever seen someone get a ticket while double parking when there's asp across the street?
Wonder if you can fight it?
 While on this topic I did see a ticket cop pull up behind all the double parked cars at 11:04am 4 minutes after asp. Mamzerim..
Mamzerim only untill you need to pass (truck or no truck) and half of the block is already moved back 20 minutes before it's over.

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
I remember seeing that discussion somewhere, I still think it does something!  Have you ever seen someone get a ticket while double parking when there's asp across the street?
 While on this topic I did see a ticket cop pull up behind all the double parked cars at 11:04am 4 minutes after asp. Mamzerim..
4 whole minutes? That's pretty generous of them.

On lots of blocks, having 1 car still double parked while everyone else has moved back already can block traffic (or cause truck drivers to need to swerve through cars and risk side-swiping a mirror).

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Ive never seem, but its a courtesy so i think they can technically ticket you
+1
It's a courtesy that they let run for extra ~5 minutes. However, they can definitely ticket you and there's no way to fight that.

P.S. On a block with a public school they DO NOT extend this courtesy. Avoid double-parking there, as many have had lots of agmas nefesh from it.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
I always thought the junk yard was decent prices! Now ebay and amazon, the same mirror they want $40 for I can get for 22$ on ebay shipped!

Only difference is you can drive like a human with both mirrors or if in this case my friend wants to drive to lakewood tom morning or later tonight, so having both mirrors is worth every penny!
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline googwallet

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
+1
It's a courtesy that they let run for extra ~5 minutes. However, they can definitely ticket you and there's no way to fight that.

P.S. On a block with a public school they DO NOT extend this courtesy. Avoid double-parking there, as many have had lots of agmas nefesh from it.
It's not just a public school, its any school.

It a lot worse to get the double parking ticket that then the failure to move for alternative side..$45 vs $115. Learnt my lesson there.
A good rule of thumb is if no one else is double parking for asp, you probably shouldn't be either.

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
I would think the truck isn't responsible. While it is accepted practice to double park it's not officially allowed afaik

Offline chbochur

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
That's why if your not sure your gonna move it Back better not move it to begin with, gonna cost you triple...

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
If you can easily find out who the knocked it off, try to go after that person for the damage .

In the meantime just find a mirror (online or junk yard) and replace.

Police report won't get you anywhere IMHO.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline myi

• View Profile
If you can easily find out who the knocked it off, try to go after that person for the damage .

In the meantime just find a mirror (online or junk yard) and replace.

Police report won't get you anywhere IMHO.
I remember seeing the truck only because he was driving like an animal, but didn't think he knocked it off rather I thought the fedex did,so only bothered to get a picture of the fedex truck.
 If I have some time tom. Will spend some time at surv cameras and see if we can zoom into the picture and see the license plate or company, nothing to loose.(except time)
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
You consider that bad?
On my block they used to regularly come by at 1:30-1:31 right when ASP ends.

B"H they don't seem to have been doing this much in the last few years.

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile

I always thought the junk yard was decent prices! Now ebay and amazon, the same mirror they want $40 for I can get for 22$ on ebay shipped!

Only difference is you can drive like a human with both mirrors or if in this case my friend wants to drive to lakewood tom morning or later tonight, so having both mirrors is worth every penny!
Anytime I've had a really simple fix that does not involve opening the hood of my car, I've gone to Willets Point across the street from Citi Field. It's not pretty but they'll have what you need at a very fair price especially if you bargain them down. There are so many shops that you'll be in and out of there in less than 20 minutes.
At a place like this, you can tip them another $20 (or less?) and they'll attach it for you.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
At a place like this, you can tip them another $20 (or less?) and they'll attach it for you.
Even less. Where they get you is if you want it painted to match your car. That'll cost you a cool $50.

Offline myi

• View Profile
That bli ayen hara I can do.. I enjoy such things.
 I don't mean such things should happen like this so I can fix it,but to repair the mirror by un-mounting it and replacing it is really easy!
 And for those who are begginers in this area all you have to do is go on you tube and get someone who does the same repair and 1-2-3 it should be done.(A1 Auto is very clear and good in showing step by step- used them to take a peak on how to fix an agitator (the locking mechanism on the door the pully or button near the door handle which unlocks and locks the car door.) went to a auto zone picked up the part and fixed.

Offline ariIs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Have seen it, and have gotten ticketed. It depends on neighborhood whether they'll let you double park. Also some unwritten rules like they never let you do it on a school block (where I got a ticket and they wrote 'school block' on top).

Offline Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Anytime I've had a really simple fix that does not involve opening the hood of my car, I've gone to Willets Point across the street from Citi Field. It's not pretty but they'll have what you need at a very fair price especially if you bargain them down. There are so many shops that you'll be in and out of there in less than 20 minutes.
+1
I've gone there for tires, tire plugs, mirrors, and a bumper. I usually send my Spanish workers since they negotiate much better in the mama loshon.