Author Topic: Sheraton TLV - using SPG Business card  (Read 2508 times)

Offline ShlomoR

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Sheraton TLV - using SPG Business card
« on: February 28, 2017, 12:25:27 AM »
I am hopefully looking to go to TLV this summer and I have racked up around 116k points which would be good for 10 nights.
I am going with my wife and kids, ages 5, 3 and 1.
I called SPG and they wouldn't let me book one room for 5 people. 
I went on the SPG app and I can book 2 adults but it does not ask how many kids.
Would it be safe to book on SPG app? Are they very strict? Will they make me pay extra for kids or not even give me a room?

In addition, I have the SPG business card which gives the lounge breakfast for free. Can I take the kids in the lounge or is it only for adults over 18?
What is your experience with the lounge breakfast?

Offline moe8555

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Re: Sheraton TLV - using SPG Business card
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 05:24:53 AM »
I know for a fact that the lounge is 18+, but I don't know if they "compensate" for the fact that you have kids by letting everyone have breakfast in the dining hall.  The SPG Amex club lounge benefit is also defined as being for the cardholder and a guest, so technically they really do not have to provide anything beyond 2 breakfasts were they to allow you to eat in the dining hall.

I think if you had 1 or possibly even 2 kids, you could get away with booking for 2 adults with 2 beds and they might let it slide.  But with 2 adults and 3 kids, not only would a standard room be very uncomfortable and cramped, but they probably would have more of an issue with it.  Why not see if you can pay or use points to upgrade to some kind of suite that would be far more comfortable?

Offline Denverite

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 09:42:11 AM »
If you've already got 116k, maybe want to buy or get a few more points to trade for Marriott's miles and points deal and get a week cert at the Ritz Herzliya plus 120k Miles on an airline?

Offline ShlomoR

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 10:03:35 AM »
If you've already got 116k, maybe want to buy or get a few more points to trade for Marriott's miles and points deal and get a week cert at the Ritz Herzliya plus 120k Miles on an airline?
how many points per night is the Ritz?
And how many SPG points do i need to transfer?

Offline ShlomoR

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 01:28:26 PM »
I know for a fact that the lounge is 18+, but I don't know if they "compensate" for the fact that you have kids by letting everyone have breakfast in the dining hall.  The SPG Amex club lounge benefit is also defined as being for the cardholder and a guest, so technically they really do not have to provide anything beyond 2 breakfasts were they to allow you to eat in the dining hall.

I think if you had 1 or possibly even 2 kids, you could get away with booking for 2 adults with 2 beds and they might let it slide.  But with 2 adults and 3 kids, not only would a standard room be very uncomfortable and cramped, but they probably would have more of an issue with it.  Why not see if you can pay or use points to upgrade to some kind of suite that would be far more comfortable?

The suites are like 3 times the price, I doubt they would do that.

If I book with the SPG app it only asks how many Adults are in the room. If I book and then call them, would that make a difference?

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 01:39:02 PM »
The suites are like 3 times the price, I doubt they would do that.

If I book with the SPG app it only asks how many Adults are in the room. If I book and then call them, would that make a difference?

You can try, but maybe try doing it anonymously first, i.e. asking in general.  You can always try to play the "plans suddenly changed" card (we weren't planning on bringing the kids, but our arrangements for such and such to watch over them/summer camp/etc. fell through and we had no choice...).  I suppose that depends on how old they are...  ::)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 01:40:15 PM »
Forget the lounge for everyone, you'll be lucky if you're not forced to buy a 2nd room.
Might not want to raise too much attention to yourself.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 01:43:15 PM »
Forget the lounge for everyone, you'll be lucky if you're not forced to buy a 2nd room.

This is really the bottom line... although being honest has actually paid off for me before.  At CP Jerusalem they let my older son in to breakfast for free despite it being a points booking and adding on breakfast with cash.

At CP Haifa, they also let him in for free even though the (paid) booking was for 2 adults.

Both times I had expressed a willingness to pay and they told me to forget about it.

Also, at Holiday Inn Ashkelon, my father bought breakfast on a points booking.  I dropped by to see him and he asked the attendant to bill me to his room so that I could join him.  They said no need and let me in for free.

Offline ShlomoR

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 01:46:23 PM »

I haven't been in Israel for a while and I really don't want to be hiding because our kids are in the room with us.
What would you suggest to do?

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 10:41:42 PM »
I haven't been in Israel for a while and I really don't want to be hiding because our kids are in the room with us.
What would you suggest to do?

Sorry maybe one kid would fit in the room but not three...they are teeny and they are too young to stay separately.  Maybe book one room and call to see what they would charge to upgrade to a suite.  You need 140k SPG to get a week at the Ritz plus receive 120k miles on your choice of participating airlines.  Maybe also check there what they'd charge to upgrade to a suite.

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 01:49:32 PM »
Here is a thinking outside of the box approach if you would consider staying at the Renaissance TA instead of the Sheraton:

Buy 4 of the 7 night Marriott certs in the forum for approximately $1,000-$1,200 total. Then convert your SPG points into Marriott at the rate of 1:3, and use 240,000 of them to upgrade the certificates to a a category 7. This way, you can have 2 rooms for 14 nights, and you can stay like a mentch instead of hiding. The approximately $1,000 out of pocket is mitigated by the 120,000 saved Marriott points.

Regarding lounge access, you would be able to bring 4 people into the lounge if you are Marriott Gold (and I imagine the baby as well), and many of the certificates for sale belong to gold accounts.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:08:20 PM by Agoldsc1 »

Offline ShlomoR

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 01:14:15 PM »
Here is a thinking outside of the box approach if you would consider staying at the Renaissance TA instead of the Sheraton:

Buy 4 of the 7 night Marriott certs in the forum for approximately $1,000-$1,200 total. Then convert your SPG points into Marriott at the rate of 1:3, and use 240,000 of them to upgrade the certificates to a a category 7. This way, you can have 2 rooms for 14 nights, and you can stay like a mentch instead of hiding. The approximately $1,000 out of pocket is mitigated by the 120,000 saved Marriott points.

Regarding lounge access, you would be able to bring 4 people into the lounge if you are Marriott Gold (and I imagine the baby as well), and many of the certificates for sale belong to gold accounts.

Thank you so much for the idea.
What do you think about the renaissance? I have stayed at the Sheraton and loved it but as you said I do not want to be hiding and prefer to be honest.
I see there is no outdoor pool at the renaissance.

Offline ShlomoR

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 02:07:21 PM »
What do you guys think about Airbnb? Never tried it but some places look great

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 02:46:37 PM »
Thank you so much for the idea.
What do you think about the renaissance? I have stayed at the Sheraton and loved it but as you said I do not want to be hiding and prefer to be honest.
I see there is no outdoor pool at the renaissance.

I unfortunately haven't been to Israel in a while so I cannot comment on this.