Author Topic: I travel to Montreal (YUL) from NYC once a month - what credit card should I get  (Read 1100 times)

Offline soinge3

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
First off, I apologize if this isn't in the right board, I didn't know if I should put this in "Up In The Air" or "Credit Cards".

Some background:
  • I travel from NYC (LGA usually) to Montreal (YUL) once a month to visit family. I either fly them out here or I fly there.
  • I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card

A friend (from Montreal) mentioned that he used a Aeroplan CC and books with points to come and go between Montreal and NYC. I did some research online and there are a number of different CC.

So my question is, do I find an alternative card or is the CSR there right card for me? If so, which card do you recommend for my monthly mandatory travel to Canada<>NYC?

Thanks in advance, I truly appreciate any advice.

Best,
Josh

Offline Vinsanity

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Hi,

You have 2 options. I am not sure of availability on the YUL-LGA route for AA, so please check that. If you find there is space, then the best bet is going to be using your Chase Sapphire Ultimate Rewards transfered to British Airways Avios. Using Avios, you can redeem 7500 Avios for 1 one-way in economy YUL-LGA or YUL-JFK (any flight under 600mi). The flights you can redeem these for are on AA award travel. AA award travel availability has become abismal the last year or so. Please check that.

Thus a roundtrip wil run you 15K Avios + $60 in taxes.

Using Aeroplan, a flight will run you 15K Aeroplan + $160 in taxes.

Having both options for redemption is good.

In general, though, cash fares are pretty cheap. So you might still be better off doing a revenue ticket from Chase Ultimate Rewards where you get 1.5 cents towards travel. The 15K you transfer to BA Avios could buy $225 of travel. Depending on the flights you are booking, you might be better off with the revenue tickets.

Good luck.

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
This was posted on March 2nd and you responded today  ???
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy