Author Topic: Panama TR- a Hidden Family Gem (w/AWESOME restaurants)!  (Read 98302 times)

Offline saw50st8

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Online yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Panama TR- a Hidden Family Gem (w/AWESOME restaurants)!
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2017, 07:16:02 PM »
Anyone visited Pearl islands?
Visibly Jewish

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »
Anyone visited Pearl islands?

My good friends did and they enjoyed it but they said San Blas was a whole other league...

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2017, 03:49:44 PM »
Wow, I just found this TR! Great write up so far. Looking forward to the rest. You may have convinced me to go there next time we go away.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2017, 09:38:27 PM »
Wow, I just found this TR! Great write up so far. Looking forward to the rest. You may have convinced me to go there next time we go away.

Thanks! It really was great and it would be such easy travel from LA.  Hopefully I'll write up some of the Shabbat and other info soon!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2017, 09:42:13 PM »
Thanks! It really was great and it would be such easy travel from LA.  Hopefully I'll write up some of the Shabbat and other info soon!
I know. I'm seriously considering it for our next vacation.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2017, 04:40:22 PM »
Shabbat and Cancun Stopover on the way home:

Just a short little final installment.  We went to Shevet Ahim shul for Shabbat and there wasn't any kiddush there that week.  I just wanted to note that because others have been and had full kiddush lunches there but I wouldn't count on that.

Our return flight was early Sunday morning so we mostly just packed up after Shabbat.  I was having trouble finding good saver flights/connections for us back to Denver so I booked us on a Copa flight to Cancun, with two nights at the Westin Lagunamar and then a direct United flight back to Denver.  We arrived early to the airport but the line to check a bag for Copa was INSANE and in the future, if I have to check a bag I would only fly on Copa out of PTY if I was in J.  The line didn't move at all and was total chaos.  Because our tickets were booked with SQ miles we couldn't check in online and really I can't empasize how bad the experience was.  If you are returning home in Y, try your best to book a flight on United or American where they don't have crazy lines and (hopefully) are more efficient.  The only way we made our flight was my husband losing his cool and literally screaming at an agent to let us go to the Business Class line.  After that, immigration was also super slow so we ran to the gate and got there as they were boarding. 

Once we were on the plane, I think it was nicer than United and they had great IFE at each seat so my kids were super happy.  The flight to Cancun was quick and uneventful.  When we arrived there the airport had all the things that I was worried about in Panama (but never happened there), literally getting rushed by people trying to pretend they were with taxis, selling timeshares, just being shady and causing general discomfort, etc.  In the end we found a taxi and headed to the Westin Lagunamar.

Maybe because we were staying at a huge resort, right in Cancun not somewhere more secluded in Riviera Maya but Cancun was just not what I expected.  I felt like I was in Vegas on the beach and although I do love Vegas, it wasn't what I was expecting.  I guess I'm including this in the TR because SO many people RAVED to me about how great Cancun is before the trip and I just never felt the love.  The hotel was beautiful and huge but you definitely had to be out early to get a seat at the pool and I kind of felt like how I'd assume it feels to be on a cruise with a bunch of people I didn't want to hang out with yet couldn't escape.

Also, a warning to those staying at the Westin Lagunamar in the future.  I booked the larger Premium 1BR for our family of 5 and they are VERY strict about maximum occupancy (and I understand why after going to the pool in the afternoon and finding like one empty chair for my whole family).  They asked for our passports upon check-in and before I could stop him, my DH handed them all 5 passports.  The front desk lady made a big stink about having 5 people in the room and said that we'd have to pay for a 2nd room for an additional $350 a night!  I told her that I totally understood their policy and that they might not be able to accomodate us.  I pulled up my Hotels.com app in front of her, found a teeny room for like $40 on there and told my husband that he'd have to go at night and sleep there after helping us unpack!  :P

After seeing that I called her bluff and that there was ZERO chance of me paying for a 2nd room there she relented and said that they didn't want to separate us and would allow all 5 of us but that we'd HAVE to pay for the rollaway (for like $15...lol) so I thanked her, said I appreciated her trying "so hard" to help us and checked us all in.  :)  So again, just a little warning about the Westin Lagunamar and extra kids.  If you want to bring more people than allowed just be prepared for some real pushback from them. 

Ok, so why DO people rave about Cancun?  Because the water and beach ARE insanely gorgeous!  We had traveled to the Maldives just a few months before the trip and even though neither of us are really dying to go back to Cancun anytime soon we did both agree that the beach and color of the water were as beautiful as the Maldives.  Below are a few pictures of the view from our room and balcony.  It was a truly lovely view.

Some final thoughts.  If you are planning to book on Star Alliance, now that United changed their stopover policy, booking on Singapore Airlines enabled us to have this nice stopover in Cancun and if you do want to go to Panama and are having trouble finding flights in either direction, Copa has direct flights from NYC, ORD, SFO, LAX, Roatan island in Honduras (check out SomethingFishy's insane Private Island TR http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=81038.0 where he flew into there), San Jose in Costa Rica, Cancun and lots of other places that might be a fun stopover in either direction.  All in all, this was by far my least stressful family vacation since I've had kids, where we got to have some great adventures AND relax, eat well and have a lovely Shabbos with a minyan. I can't wait to go back to Panama B"H next summer!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 06:21:25 PM by Denverite »

Offline BarryLincoln

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, National Executive, Hertz Five Star
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2017, 04:54:32 PM »
Great post!!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2017, 05:24:23 PM »
Great conclusion to the TR. I really enjoyed reading it. Are you not going to share what you did in Cancun for your time there?

Offline saw50st8

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2017, 05:57:45 PM »
I enjoyed my time in Cancun, but I agree with the Vegas comparison. I don't have a great desire to go back.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2017, 12:19:58 PM »
Great post!!

Thanks!

I enjoyed my time in Cancun, but I agree with the Vegas comparison. I don't have a great desire to go back.

Yeah, it was nice but seems like so many other great places to go instead.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2017, 12:48:59 PM »
Great conclusion to the TR. I really enjoyed reading it. Are you not going to share what you did in Cancun for your time there?

We really only had one full day there.  We arrived Sunday around noon and just spent the day at the beach and pool had food delivered from Red Heifer.  On Monday, I did take my older boys snorkeling and although it was a great first time snorkeling trip (which was what I was hoping to do for not too much money), that trip did just add to the kind of bad taste in my mouth I had for Cancun.

I specifically booked it through the hotel concierge because I didn't want to deal with any changes, shadiness, etc. and wanted it all properly organized, since it was gonna just be me and the two boys.  AFTER I had booked and paid through the Concierge he told me that I had to pay a separate "national park entrance fee" on-site the next day.  It's annoying that they nickel and dime that way and especially that the Westin Concierge only told me afterward.  The bus came at around 7am the next morning and took us to the snorkeling place.  They serve a big breakfast there will a full open bar and yes there were plenty of people drinking at 8AM before heading out to snorkel (perhaps not the smartest idea).  The snorkeling trip was actually fine, we saw lots of fish and it was good for me to see that although my kids are still getting older and strong swimmers that it was scary for them (even with life vests) and although they had fun, I shouldn't plan any vacations around snorkeling any time soon.

The guides were nice guys but again I just kinda felt that it was big money cattle car and that there wasn't a whole lot of caring involved.  They took a bunch of underwater pictures to sell later and really emphasize the tips.  I speak Spanish pretty well and they kept reminding the main guy to really explain to everyone that when they come to you to fill out your survey that is the time to pay a tip.  I'm not blaming these guys and did give them a nice tip, as they may not even get any base salary and only live on tips but it just was a little uncomfortable (our taxi driver said the company only pays them like $10 a day but he keeps the job because on a good day he can earn $100 in tips).  So then you come back, everybody drinks more, they take their time and make you wait for all the pictures to be printed so that you will hopefully buy those.  My kids had fun, I'm glad we went but it wasn't a family environment that I'd prefer for mt kids and I just felt kind of blah about it.

When we got back, we changed, took an Uber to Red Heifer (like $5), which had great food, was expensive but nice to have.  When we went outside there was big van taxi, my husband asked him how much to go back to the Lagunamar and he said $20!  I didn't want to wait for an Uber so we ended up paying $12 for it and the guy did have a huge van that would easily hold all of us and our luggage so we booked him ahead for I think $30 to take us to the airport the next morning.  I don't have any pictures of the snorkeling place and can't remember the company name.

I did add in a couple of pool pics from the Hotel in case people wanted to see.  The pool WAS very fun for my kids, it was just insanely crowded.  My littlest also had fun doing art projects in the Kids Club with my husband while we were snorkeling so the Westin does have it's advantages for families.

Really fun and beautiful infinity pool and waterslide!

\\

One last note about being at the Westin, I thought it was super weird how many obviously frum people were there that seemed to go out of their way to avoid basic eye contact (forget say hello, smile or give a basic greeting).  I figured it was because they were on vacation and didn't want to see other frum people or where embarrased they were at the pool or beach but my friends from NY have assured me that people in Denver are just unusually friendly and Jews elsewhere never acknowledge other people...LOL...either way that was also a little awkward to be at the beach and pool sitting next to other frum people going out of their way to ignore you (btw, I wasn't looking to chat, just normal eye contact, a smile and move on would have been great) so I thought I'd mention that too...and I think that's it folks!  :P

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2017, 12:57:19 PM »
One last note about being at the Westin, I thought it was super weird how many obviously frum people were there that seemed to go out of their way to avoid basic eye contact (forget say hello, smile or give a basic greeting).  I figured it was because they were on vacation and didn't want to see other frum people or where embarrased they were at the pool or beach but my friends from NY have assured me that people in Denver are just unusually friendly and Jews elsewhere never acknowledge other people...LOL...either way that was also a little awkward to be at the beach and pool sitting next to other frum people going out of their way to ignore you (btw, I wasn't looking to chat, just normal eye contact, a smile and move on would have been great) so I thought I'd mention that too...and I think that's it folks!  :P
Thanks! I also stayed at the Lagunamar with a friend when we went back in May 2010 and the place felt like club med it was so empty. I guess it's just a NYer thing not to acknowledge other Jews, but my friend and I didn't see another frum person the entire 2 days we were in CUN besides the frum boys on the flight to/from who were obviously on the same deal as us ($10+tax to anywhere they fly). Thanks for sharing though!

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
  • Programs: Photoshop
« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2017, 02:20:46 PM »
Thursday we just had a lazy day and we actually spent the morning looking at one of the Jewish schools.  We're very interested in the Jewish community for a number of reasons and we also have a friend that had a job possibility at one of the schools so we went to check it out for all those reasons.  I have to say, that I was BLOWN AWAY

The school was so amazing and the things they offer the kids puts American day schools to shame.  One of the schools also TOTALLY teaches in English (one school won't take a child after 2nd grade that can't read and write in English) because they want their children to be able to go on to higher education in the US and Israel.  They have 4 Orthodox day schools there plus a boys' Yeshiva, girls Bais Yaacov HS AND a girls BY type college program (for a community of 12,000 total Jews, can you imagine??).  ...gotta love Sephardim and how they try to keep their WHOLE kehilla involved, even if someone is not so outwardly observant.

To compare, we have 90k Jews in Denver and two orthodox elementary schools, a modern co-ed highschool, BY and Yeshiva, all probably adding up to the kids in one of their day schools.  For someone that has an internet based business or other job, Panama could be an amazing place to live (they also will give residency to all Americans).  Tuition is about the same (a little less than the US), oh and also tuition includes all their meals and snacks at the schools and a live in housekeeper/nanny costs about $600 a month...umm, call me sold, I wanna move!  :P  Seriously, I've looked into a lot of things about living there so if you guys have any questions about schools or other stuff feel free to ask.

Great TR, thanks!

Last week I had a chat with the Owner of Aroma Gourmet (great food). He said he pays $800 per month per child(x3) for tuition and it's his biggest expense by far.
DDMS Built with ♥ by SWIZU

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2017, 03:41:31 PM »
Thanks! I also stayed at the Lagunamar with a friend when we went back in May 2010 and the place felt like club med it was so empty. I guess it's just a NYer thing not to acknowledge other Jews, but my friend and I didn't see another frum person the entire 2 days we were in CUN besides the frum boys on the flight to/from who were obviously on the same deal as us ($10+tax to anywhere they fly). Thanks for sharing though!

Thanks our BIL also said it was dead at the Lagunamar when he went like 5 years ago but I think they've built like two more towers and sold the heck out of those timeshares since then, while still just using the same main pool and as far all the frum crowds (seriously like numerous kinds of hassidim, not just Chabad and Modern people) I have to think that is all from DDF and DDMS!

Great TR, thanks!

Last week I had a chat with the Owner of Aroma Gourmet (great food). He said he pays $800 per month per child(x3) for tuition and it's his biggest expense by far.

Thanks!  I'm still trying to figure out a way for my family to have only $800 per month per kid tuition and have that be my biggest expense...that would be awesome!  :P

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2017, 03:42:48 PM »
Thanks our BIL also said it was dead at the Lagunamar when he went like 5 years ago but I think they've built like two more towers and sold the heck out of those timeshares since then, while still just using the same main pool and as far all the frum crowds (seriously like numerous kinds of hassidim, not just Chabad and Modern people) I have to think that is all from DDF and DDMS!
That makes sense. They were building new towers when we were there, and apparently it's the place to stay.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2017, 04:07:32 PM »
That makes sense. They were building new towers when we were there, and apparently it's the place to stay.

Yeah it was little nuts and too much for me...lol.

On another random note I still have the Kosher PTY app on my phone and get push notifications.  This popped up a couple days ago:

When I clicked into the restaurant on the app, their menu looked insane, with dairy dishes I had never seen in kosher restaurants.  They have pasta with Grey Goose vodka sauce, a four cheese gnocchi, tons of other cool dishes and even fondue service!  I'm adding it to my list of must try places for next time.  It looks to be right near the Marriott and a very reasonable walk from the Hilton, Waldorf and Le Meridian (since they are all right next to each other).  Anyway, I thought I'd share since I know some of you are planning trips right now and also in case anyone has been there and can comment on the food.  :)

Offline yoshapman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2017, 01:01:19 PM »
Shabbat and Cancun Stopover on the way home:

Also, a warning to those staying at the Westin Lagunamar in the future.  I booked the larger Premium 1BR for our family of 5 and they are VERY strict about maximum occupancy (and I understand why after going to the pool in the afternoon and finding like one empty chair for my whole family).  They asked for our passports upon check-in and before I could stop him, my DH handed them all 5 passports.  The front desk lady made a big stink about having 5 people in the room and said that we'd have to pay for a 2nd room for an additional $350 a night!  I told her that I totally understood their policy and that they might not be able to accomodate us.  I pulled up my Hotels.com app in front of her, found a teeny room for like $40 on there and told my husband that he'd have to go at night and sleep there after helping us unpack!  :P

After seeing that I called her bluff and that there was ZERO chance of me paying for a 2nd room there she relented and said that they didn't want to separate us and would allow all 5 of us but that we'd HAVE to pay for the rollaway (for like $15...lol) so I thanked her, said I appreciated her trying "so hard" to help us and checked us all in.  :)  So again, just a little warning about the Westin Lagunamar and extra kids.  If you want to bring more people than allowed just be prepared for some real pushback from them. 

We were there for 10 days this past Winter break, and have 3 kids (though 2 are very young) and made sure to only give 4 passports and I checked in without my wife/kids, as they seemed pretty strict about the amount of people. 

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2017, 12:46:10 AM »
We were there for 10 days this past Winter break, and have 3 kids (though 2 are very young) and made sure to only give 4 passports and I checked in without my wife/kids, as they seemed pretty strict about the amount of people.

You were smart to only give the 4 passports.  I was shocked how forceful they were about having to pay for a 2nd room.