Author Topic: Hilton's Elimination of Cash + Points  (Read 1418 times)

Offline runnergirl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; American Airlines Gold;
Hilton's Elimination of Cash + Points
« on: March 01, 2017, 07:07:56 AM »
The new set up is another nail in the Hilton coffin!

Offline shampz

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Hilton's Elimination of Cash + Points
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 04:01:13 PM »
Thanks for this topic. I travel for work in the US and always try to stay at Hilton, because my end-game is to use points to take my family to Israel. I never have quite enough points to stay at the Hilton TLV and WA Jerusalem the entire 10 day-2 week trip, but I had an easy and relatively inexpensive workaround - the TLV Hilton always had lots of P+C availability for $125 + 25,000 points. I found it to be extremely valuable as a redemption option, to stretch my points to my entire family vacation. Never had a problem finding dates as I book well in advance.

Now, when I check a random date in August 2017, the sliding point scale shows that 25,000 points still leaves a balance of $250 to be paid, doubling the cost in dollars. To get the price down to $125, I would need 55,000 points, more than doubling the cost in miles.

Big devaluation for me, and anyone that relies on P+C.

At least the $ portion of the nights booked with the new sliding scale will earn points, but that's little comfort given how many more points you need to redeem.

I have to admit its smart for them, as it affects a relatively small # of people, and actually allows a lot more people to use points in small increments if they like the price tradeoff, on any property. No longer will a property have to offer P+C, because all properties will offer the (devalued) option.

What will likely end up happening is that next trip we'll stay in TLV and spend the 55k points, then stay at the WA for a night or two, and then rent an apartment off AirBnB or VRBO for Shabbat in Jerusalem.   

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline runnergirl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; American Airlines Gold;
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 08:41:34 PM »
I used to do the same thing. Totally stinks.

Thanks for this topic. I travel for work in the US and always try to stay at Hilton, because my end-game is to use points to take my family to Israel. I never have quite enough points to stay at the Hilton TLV and WA Jerusalem the entire 10 day-2 week trip, but I had an easy and relatively inexpensive workaround - the TLV Hilton always had lots of P+C availability for $125 + 25,000 points. I found it to be extremely valuable as a redemption option, to stretch my points to my entire family vacation. Never had a problem finding dates as I book well in advance.

Now, when I check a random date in August 2017, the sliding point scale shows that 25,000 points still leaves a balance of $250 to be paid, doubling the cost in dollars. To get the price down to $125, I would need 55,000 points, more than doubling the cost in miles.

Big devaluation for me, and anyone that relies on P+C.

At least the $ portion of the nights booked with the new sliding scale will earn points, but that's little comfort given how many more points you need to redeem.

I have to admit its smart for them, as it affects a relatively small # of people, and actually allows a lot more people to use points in small increments if they like the price tradeoff, on any property. No longer will a property have to offer P+C, because all properties will offer the (devalued) option.

What will likely end up happening is that next trip we'll stay in TLV and spend the 55k points, then stay at the WA for a night or two, and then rent an apartment off AirBnB or VRBO for Shabbat in Jerusalem.

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 12:29:36 PM »
im confused, I thought the new changes added c+P?
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline shampz

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 03:57:20 PM »
im confused, I thought the new changes added c+P?

The change was that they added C+P to all bookings. Previously, the C+P awards were only based on award availability, and the price/miles you needed was based on the Hotel category. So, the Tel Aviv Hilton would cost $125 and 25,000 points, as long as the hotel released the award room. It didn't matter what the rate of the room was. If it were a $450 room that cost me $125+25,000 points, it made the 25k points worth 1.3 cents each.

The issue is that under the new P+C system, which is based on $ rate of the room you want, you end up paying double the old P+C rate (either double points or double the cash you used to need for a room at the same hotel). The system fixes the redemption rate of the points, and it will never be 1.3 cents or close to it.

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 04:26:51 PM »
The change was that they added C+P to all bookings. Previously, the C+P awards were only based on award availability, and the price/miles you needed was based on the Hotel category. So, the Tel Aviv Hilton would cost $125 and 25,000 points, as long as the hotel released the award room. It didn't matter what the rate of the room was. If it were a $450 room that cost me $125+25,000 points, it made the 25k points worth 1.3 cents each.

The issue is that under the new P+C system, which is based on $ rate of the room you want, you end up paying double the old P+C rate (either double points or double the cash you used to need for a room at the same hotel). The system fixes the redemption rate of the points, and it will never be 1.3 cents or close to it.
ouch.
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle