Poll

Would you pay an additional 30k + $140 YQ to try LY's new product if both UA and LY was available?

Yes
No
Undecided
Only ex-TLV (to get King David lounge entry)

Author Topic: El Al 787 Dreamliner Master Thread  (Read 169050 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Will the LY Dreamliner have a First Class cabin? (a little hint)
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2017, 08:27:26 PM »
Very nice.

Haven't heard any expert opinions on how this plane overall compares to Delta and United
I wrote on DDMS that J will be the worst of the 4.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2017, 08:38:03 PM »
Don't they know their crowd?

2 usb power ports for every 3 seats in cattle class with Israelis.....
Same as all airlines, E gets 1 power between seats

Offline SearchGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2017, 08:47:34 PM »
Don't they know their crowd?

2 usb power ports for every 3 seats in cattle class with Israelis.....
whats the difference between the USB power port and the USB media port?

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2017, 09:07:59 PM »
Same as all airlines, E gets 1 power between seats
But not all airlines have that kind of crowd on ALL their flights.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2017, 09:34:38 PM »
I wrote on DDMS that J will be the worst of the 4.

Why do you say that?

With El Al you will get an on par seat, the best food and likely the best service (yes I said it!)

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2017, 09:37:35 PM »
Why do you say that?

With El Al you will get an on par seat, the best food and likely the best service (yes I said it!)

Plus King David lounge ex-TLV.

Online mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2017, 09:40:06 PM »
Why do you say that?

IINM, Dan was reffering only to the seat itself.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2017, 09:45:45 PM »
Why do you say that?

"It will have to be a narrower business class seat than United’s as the 787 is a couple of feet narrower than the 777. That means El Al will still likely have the worst business class seats in the market, but at least they’ll be playing in the same ballpark."
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2017, 11:06:18 PM »
Why do you say that?

Only talking about the plane/hard product.
Shame they didn't go reverse herringbone, but like UA, I guess it figures.

Also, food (aside from wine of course) is the same as any other airline if you want mehadrin, no?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2017, 11:17:38 PM »
Only talking about the plane/hard product.
Shame they didn't go reverse herringbone, but like UA, I guess it figures.

Also, food (aside from wine of course) is the same as any other airline if you want mehadrin, no?
No. Ex TLV for sure not. Even the SKML is far more presentable and better than what UA and DL offer.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2017, 11:28:06 PM »
90 vs 84 is far different than comparing LY 777 to 787
777 is almost like PE of the 787, of course they are entitled to change more
Well as I said as a travel agent who knows how pricing with airlines work and everything around it just doesn't make sense. And I've heard it today from other agents as well. It's not a  furniture store who asks more for Italian furniture. I can try to explain my self but I won't have the right words. Let's start with saying that airlines never like to outright say "that plane is  only good" also with elal changing aircrafts last minute every Monday and Thursday this will cause major chaos with customers when aircrafts will change. Basically airlines for that reason never sell you a ticket based on what kind of seats they will give you but rather by fare classes and for that reason. Now if J class will sell out quickly on the 787 flights and the price will  be high because only Z class is available, that is a different story.  UA never charged more for their flat bed seats tham their non flat beds to LAX. And for those and other reasons. Any travel agents disagree?
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline SearchGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2017, 11:30:14 PM »
Well as I said as a travel agent who knows how pricing with airlines work and everything around it just doesn't make sense. And I've heard it today from other agents as well. It's not a  furniture store who asks more for Italian furniture. I can try to explain my self but I won't have the right words. Let's start with saying that airlines never like to outright say "that plane is  only good" also with elal changing aircrafts last minute every Monday and Thursday this will cause major chaos with customers when aircrafts will change. Basically airlines for that reason never sell you a ticket based on what kind of seats they will give you but rather by fare classes and for that reason. Now if J class will sell out quickly on the 787 flights and the price will  be high because only Z class is available, that is a different story.  UA never charged more for their flat bed seats tham their non flat beds to LAX. And for those and other reasons. Any travel agents disagree?
Maybe the 787 will get 3 brand new codes for J

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2017, 12:45:16 AM »

Interesting and thanks for explaining to those of us not in the business.

Offline shimino1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2017, 05:39:07 AM »
Now if J class will sell out quickly on the 787 flights and the price will  be high because only Z class is available, that is a different story.  UA never charged more for their flat bed seats tham their non flat beds to LAX. And for those and other reasons. Any travel agents disagree?
I am a travel agent and I agree with every word. My grandparents only fly UA Business (Used to only fly LY until one time it wasn't available and they had to fly United. Never looked back). They live in LA and I was presently surprised they didn't raise prices for the EWR-LAX leg when they switched to the 757 flat bed seats. It makes no sense to charge more for the seat when all you did was meet the competitions standards.

Offline yandmk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2017, 08:43:23 AM »
Yes. I disagree. Because they don't have first class anymore (which started at $6k+) they are likely to average out the price between the 2 cabins. They need to make up for the loss (though, I would note, that a very small percentage of F seats were sold out, and a large portion of those sold were for miles). Inventory change is not an issue, because they will be retrofitting their 777s in the near future. You need to realize, that since there are different fare classes currently in place on the 787, it's ok to charge different than on the the 777/747. If they sell 787 J for $3k, then what will they sell PE for, $1200? That's economy price. You don't have that fare class setup on the 777 (until they retrofit). It's no comparison to the UA 757 EWR - LAX or UA 84/90 where the cabins and fare classes stayed the same.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 08:46:26 AM by yandmk »

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2017, 08:47:39 AM »
They could also manipulate prices by only making seats in higher fare classes exist in the inventory. Or only sell 2 seats per plan in the discounted J bucket.

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2017, 08:52:54 AM »
They could also manipulate prices by only making seats in higher fare classes exist in the inventory. Or only sell 2 seats per plan in the discounted J bucket.
Again, they are not charging for better furniture. It's a "different cabin" than the other planes. Once they eliminate First and add PE, Business has a whole different meaning, and deserves it's own pricing rules.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 12, 2017, 09:10:25 AM »
Again, they are not charging for better furniture. It's a "different cabin" than the other planes. Once they eliminate First and add PE, Business has a whole different meaning, and deserves it's own pricing rules.
It was pointed out that with LY's recocord of switching planes at the last minute, it's difficult to charge a premium if they then switch out equipment. By charging the same, worst case, they could get by just by using F and J on old aircraft.

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 12, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »
It was pointed out that with LY's recocord of switching planes at the last minute, it's difficult to charge a premium if they then switch out equipment.

Inventory change is not an issue, because they will be retrofitting their 777s in the near future.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 12, 2017, 09:42:55 AM »
Yeah 'near' future.