Poll

Would you pay an additional 30k + $140 YQ to try LY's new product if both UA and LY was available?

Yes
No
Undecided
Only ex-TLV (to get King David lounge entry)

Author Topic: El Al 787 Dreamliner Master Thread  (Read 169182 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Will the LY Dreamliner have a First Class cabin? (a little hint)
« Reply #180 on: June 15, 2017, 03:19:00 PM »
No idea.

Also... airlines that have RH on 787:

VN is 21.

KL is 20.25.

AM takes cake at 20.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 03:25:29 PM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 15, 2017, 03:32:56 PM »
Here's my take...

As someone who has flown El Al pretty regularly over the past decade+, I couldn't be happier with the new business class seats.

1-2-1 proper flat bed seats on a Dreamliner is a dream come true and anyone complaining about the small details doesn't realize what a game changer this is for El Al

For 99% of El Al flyers, the only complaint will be the cell phone reception issues when on the ground

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 15, 2017, 03:34:02 PM »
+1
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline tavster

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #183 on: June 15, 2017, 03:35:19 PM »
Couldn't agree more

Online PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 15, 2017, 03:38:11 PM »
Code: [Select]
SPML - SPECIAL MEAL - FOR FIRST CLASS BOOKINGS :      UPDATED:08JAN17         

WHEN REQUESTING SPECIAL MEALS, OTHER THAN THOSE PREVIOUSLY LISTED USE         
  SPML SSR FOLLLOWED BY FREE TEXT .                                             
  EXAMPLE:                                                                     
  SR SPML-GRILLED CHICKEN BREAST WITH VEGETABLES NO ONIONS                     

- FOR BUSINESS CLASS BOOKINGS:                                                 
 WHEN REQUESTING SALAD MEAL, OTHER THAN THOSE PREVIOUSLY LISTED, USE SPML .     
 EXAMPLE:                                                                       
 SR SPML-SALAD MEAL**                                                           
 ** NO OTHER FREE TEXT IS ALLOWED.                                             
 IN CASE OF OTHER REQUEST IN FREE TEXT, MEAL WILL NOT BE PROVIDED.             

That's awesome. I'm flying next week let's try Fleish Cholent mit Kishka
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »
That's awesome. I'm flying next week let's try Fleish Cholent mit Kishka
F class only

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 15, 2017, 04:21:36 PM »
F class only
Yeh that's exactly what my source told me. ..... Like We offer now in first class.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #187 on: June 15, 2017, 05:15:43 PM »
Can't wait for your upcoming trip report from the new J (make sure it's ex-TLV so you can review the King David too). I think you may actually be pleasantly surprised. It may not be as bad as you think.....
If I didn't eat mehadrin only I would probably enjoy it a lot indeed.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yandmk

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 15, 2017, 05:25:55 PM »
If I didn't eat mehadrin only I would probably enjoy it a lot indeed.
Um... The standard food on El Al is at least as "mehadrin" as the Waldarf Astoria Jerusalem.....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #189 on: June 15, 2017, 05:28:02 PM »
Um... The standard food on El Al is at least as "mehadrin" as the Waldarf Astoria.....
How so?
There is no mashgiach on the plane and there are many reports that the crew uses the oven to heat up their own food.
The OU themselves say to order a mehadrin meal due to that issue.

The WA has mashgichim and they say that only mehadrin food is used in the hotel.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #190 on: June 15, 2017, 05:52:32 PM »
How so?
There is no mashgiach on the plane and there are many reports that the crew uses the oven to heat up their own food.

The WA has mashgichim and they say that only mehadrin food is used in the hotel.
Also, does ElAl even claim to only use mehadrin ingredients?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 15, 2017, 05:53:31 PM »
Also, does ElAl even claim to only use mehadrin ingredients?
I think ex-NYC they do and ex-TLV they don't, but CMIIW.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 15, 2017, 05:54:59 PM »
I think ex-NYC they do and ex-TLV they don't, but CMIIW.
I guess if ex-NYC they are using American hechsherim then that would be the case but not ex TLV

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 15, 2017, 06:01:01 PM »
How so?

Interesting point. I've never heard about the oven issue before. Only regarding the food, I heard from a pretty decent source, that the kashrus level of the non-mehadrin is basically the same as the mehadrin with LY, and is made in the same kitchen, only that the mehadrin is sealed.
But is that really what will stop you from reviewing their product? I can't see why the non-mehadrin food should be so much better. I'm not saying this from experience - I've only tried one -  but why would it be so different?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 15, 2017, 06:03:58 PM »
Interesting point. I've never heard about the oven issue before. Only regarding the food, I heard from a pretty decent source, that the kashrus level of the non-mehadrin is basically the same as the mehadrin with LY, and is made in the same kitchen, only that the mehadrin is sealed.
But is that really what will stop you from reviewing their product? I can't see why the non-mehadrin food should be so much better. I'm not saying this from experience - I've only tried one -  but why would it be so different?
Oven issue is a famous one, even their frum pilots say as much.

I've never seen any reason to go out of my way to pay a ton of miles and YQ for an inferior product in the past and I don't see how this changes anything. People say the non-mehadrin food is a treat, I've never heard that about the mehadrin food.

I'm booked on UAs 77W in J for 140K. I don't see any reason to change that.

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 15, 2017, 06:23:33 PM »
I'm booked on UAs 77W in J for 140K. I don't see any reason to change that.
1) For the soft product (which most say beats all the competition on this route)
2) You can't say so much gossip on an airline that you refuse to even give a chance
3) To report to your tens of thousands of readers who would love to hear your professional analysis and comparison to the other airlines. I don't think it's even fair journalism to always write a one-sided view because your being stingy on 30k miles (the difference on a o/w) that you practically earn in a jiffy. Especially when that is the most flown route by your readers. I believe even Lucky said he plans on reviewing it when they start flying.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 15, 2017, 06:33:25 PM »
1) For the soft product (which most say beats all the competition on this route)
2) You can't say so much gossip on an airline that you refuse to even give a chance
3) To report to your tens of thousands of readers who would love to hear your professional analysis and comparison to the other airlines. I don't think it's even fair journalism to always write a one-sided view because your being stingy on 30k miles (the difference on a o/w) that you practically earn in a jiffy. Especially when that is the most flown route by your readers. I believe even Lucky said he plans on reviewing it when they start flying.
1. Are you serious? The vast majority of people say the service is horrendous, even worse than typically horrendous Israeli service that you expect. Even more so if you're frum. There have been hundreds of LY horror stories posted in DD comments, DDF, and DDFB.

2. I don't gossip Saying their current J is a joke, their website is a joke, and their mileage program is a joke compared to the competition isn't gossip.

3. I'm not a journalist or an airline reviewer. I happen to write my experience traveling when I have the time. Lucky's entire kuntz is reviewing flights.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 15, 2017, 07:35:07 PM »
1. Are you serious? The vast majority of people say the service is horrendous, even worse than typically horrendous Israeli service that you expect. Even more so if you're frum. There have been hundreds of LY horror stories posted in DD comments, DDF, and DDFB.

2. I don't gossip Saying their current J is a joke, their website is a joke, and their mileage program is a joke compared to the competition isn't gossip.

3. I'm not a journalist or an airline reviewer. I happen to write my experience traveling when I have the time. Lucky's entire kuntz is reviewing flights.
1. Even j?

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 15, 2017, 07:46:27 PM »
There happens to be a thread here on DDF (paging TimT) of many people giving raving reviews as well. But let's put aside the style to bash LY, it's no secret that every airline has plenty horror stories. Being in the line as a TA for a few years already, I've seen pretty much everything. And I can say that my (clients) worst horror stories have actually been will DL, CX and UA etc.. In the DL incident where they denied boarding to a J class revenue paying passenger from TLV (and they even admit afterward that they completely erred) and no matter how much fighting including a DOT complaint they wouldn't compensate more than 20k Skypesos, makes Ilherman's incident with LY look like a joke. While almost every passenger who was placed on a leased aircraft who sent a decently written complaint to LY this past winter got compensated with free flight vouchers (at least business passengers). I'm no fan of LY. I can write my own book of horror stories, but what I do recognize is that they are all the same garbage. They all mistreat and take advantage of their customers. But for some reason, my LY elite clients seem more committed to LY than my *A elites are to *A. There must be some charm there....
2. I don't gossip Saying their current J is a joke
true
their website is a joke
They renewed their website a couple of years ago already....
and their mileage program is a joke compared to the competition
1) That's to the US. Their award chart to Europe (especially during promotions) can be a real steal.
2) You forget to mention that availability with LY puts all of them together to shame...

Bottom line, everyone sees what they want to see. And you for example will refuse to see anything positive in this airline. That you didn't fly LY until today, was totally understood. From here on, I believe it's all ego...
I said my piece......
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:26:55 PM by yandmk »

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 15, 2017, 08:22:05 PM »
There happens to be a thread here on DDF (paging TimT) of many people giving raving reviews as well. But let's put aside the style to bash LY, it's no secret that every airline has plenty horror stories. Being in the line as a TA for a few years already, I've seen pretty much everything. And I can say that my (clients) worst horror stories have actually been will DL, CX and UA etc.. In the DL incident where they denied boarding to a J class revenue paying passenger from TLV (and they even admit afterward that they completely erred) and no matter how much fighting including a DOT complaint they wouldn't compensate more than 20k Skypesos, makes Ilherman's incident with LY look like a joke. While almost every passenger who was placed on a leased aircraft who sent a decently written complaint to LY this past winter got compensated with free flight vouchers (at least business passengers). I'm no fan of LY. I can write my own book of horror stories, but what I do recognize is that they are all the same garbage. They all mistreat and take advantage of their customers. But for some reason, my LY elite clients seem more committed to LY than my *A elites are to *A. There must be some charm there....trueThey renewed their website a couple of years ago already....1) That's to the US. They're award chart to Europe (especially during promotions) can be a real steal.
2) You forget to mention that availability with LY puts all of them together to shame...

Bottom line, everyone sees what they want to see. And you for example will refuse to see anything positive in this airline. That you didn't fly LY until today, was totally understood. From here on, I believe it's all ego...
I said my piece......
Part of their commitment is ideological in their allegiance to Israel.