Author Topic: ISO: A door sensor that sends a text when triggered  (Read 1317 times)

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
ISO: A door sensor that sends a text when triggered
« on: March 30, 2017, 09:55:54 AM »
Hi all, I'm looking for a device that I can place on a front door that will send a text when the door is opened.

My grandparents live alone and are very, very out of it and we still have not found an aid (we're desperately looking, we had one and she quit). Yesterday, my grandfather was found by a friend a number of blocks from the house and by a very major intersection, he walks incredibly slow and I can't imagine how long it took him to get there but b'h he was found. So, we need some sort of sensor on the door to we know when the door opens.

I've been looking around and I found the ring doorbell (https://ring.com/ring-video-doorbell) but that is not a sensor specifically on the door, it's only a motion based sensor which I don't see working in all cases. Any other sensors that I found are more like a doorbell that just emit a sound to wireless device somewhere else nearby but obviously that won't work in my case I'm not looking for an alert in the house I'm looking for an alert to my cell where ever I am.

Sorry for the long post and leads are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline mileagejunkie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
Re: ISO: A door sensor that sends a text when triggered
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 10:10:36 AM »
Hi all, I'm looking for a device that I can place on a front door that will send a text when the door is opened.

My grandparents live alone and are very, very out of it and we still have not found an aid (we're desperately looking, we had one and she quit). Yesterday, my grandfather was found by a friend a number of blocks from the house and by a very major intersection, he walks incredibly slow and I can't imagine how long it took him to get there but b'h he was found. So, we need some sort of sensor on the door to we know when the door opens.

I've been looking around and I found the ring doorbell (https://ring.com/ring-video-doorbell) but that is not a sensor specifically on the door, it's only a motion based sensor which I don't see working in all cases. Any other sensors that I found are more like a doorbell that just emit a sound to wireless device somewhere else nearby but obviously that won't work in my case I'm not looking for an alert in the house I'm looking for an alert to my cell where ever I am.

Sorry for the long post and leads are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You should get a door/window sensor and set up IFTTT (ifttt.com) send text alerts. The only sensor that I can think off the top of my head would be the Samsung smart things which requires a hub but there might be a no-hub (so cheaper) option out there.

ETA: Just googled "IFTTT window sensor" and it returns a lot of results!

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 10:16:15 AM »
You can use the Nest outdoor camera and you'll get a notification everytime someone walks in front of the camera

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 10:44:44 AM »
You should get a door/window sensor and set up IFTTT (ifttt.com) send text alerts. The only sensor that I can think off the top of my head would be the Samsung smart things which requires a hub but there might be a no-hub (so cheaper) option out there.

ETA: Just googled "IFTTT window sensor" and it returns a lot of results!

Thanks looks interesting, I'll look into it

You can use the Nest outdoor camera and you'll get a notification everytime someone walks in front of the camera

Yup but that's essentially the same as the ring doorbell where I'm relying on motion alone as the trigger.

Offline CS1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »

after that notification, can you check if it's just the mailman, and no reason for alarm?
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 10:55:23 AM »
If your a little bit handy I can tell you how to build a very cheap one yourself.

Offline yoohoo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 11:04:59 AM »
I have an ARLO camera, works great for me, its 100% wireless (rechargeable battery) Im assuming you have an internet connection....

Offline mileagejunkie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
ISO: A door sensor that sends a text when triggered
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 11:22:37 AM »
I have an ARLO camera, works great for me, its 100% wireless (rechargeable battery) Im assuming you have an internet connection....
Same here. Much better option so it can work as a security camera too and the Go works on cellular too.

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 11:23:27 AM »

I was looking at the nest camera and saw this review on amazon. The camera caught a thief - https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R212G5GRUIZBD3?ref=va_cr_lb

crazy!

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 11:40:23 AM »
I was looking at the nest camera and saw this review on amazon. The camera caught a thief - https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R212G5GRUIZBD3?ref=va_cr_lb

crazy!
that quality seems to be way better than Ring

Offline Pinreb

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 11:53:01 AM »
You can get ADT or any other alarm company and will alert you every time someone opens the door. Usually it's a 2-3 year contract no installation fee around $40 a month.