Author Topic: Pesach Program in Greece Cancelled Just Now!  (Read 182158 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: Pesach Program in Greece Cancelled Just Now!
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2017, 03:21:43 PM »

Of course, deep down I'm still a Jew, and free is free.
There's no free lunch.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2017, 03:24:36 PM »
Not complaining, just feel it's incompatible.

Not only would I not go if it were free, I can't think of any price I would be willing to get paid in order to go to something like this (talking about the luxury programs), or even to a more "modest" program, unless I could have my own cooking facilities and my own food.

My values are not for sale at any price!

That's great.

Do you think it's wrong or anyone to go though?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2017, 03:28:44 PM »
That's great.

Do you think it's wrong or anyone to go though?

I cannot and will not judge anyone else (for any price  :) )

On that note, here's a nice piece someone sent me yesterday via Whatsapp:

ר' לייבל שיינין הרב החסידי של דאקשיץ לא היתה דרכו בנשיאת דרשות, אבל בשבת הגדול נהוג שהרב נושא דרשה, עלה על הבימה ואמר: כתוב במשנה שכל מקום שאין מכניסים בו חמץ אין צריך בדיקה. אף אחד לא הכניס אצל חברו חמץ ואין לו מה לחפש אצל זולתו חמץ וירד מהבימה.
-- Dan

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2017, 03:30:58 PM »
Not complaining, just feel it's incompatible.

Not only would I not go if it were free, I can't think of any price I would be willing to get paid in order to go to something like this (talking about the luxury programs), or even to a more "modest" program, unless I could have my own cooking facilities and my own food.

True. The following statement is made with no hate or disregard. My guess, is that you are Lubavitch. From my understanding Lubavitchers are extremely makpid on specific food related aspects of pesach that many others may not be. This seems to the issue you have with these program, we'll that's how I understand it at least. I feel like many of us who are not as "pro" these programs, have many different reasons behind it.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2017, 03:48:11 PM »
Take a second look. There are some big  respected names out there.

...which wouldn't necessarily be the first thing to look for when judging if something is in your personal hashkafik beliefs.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2017, 03:53:06 PM »
Take a second look. There are some big  respected names out there.
I have long ago learnt that unfortunately that doesn't mean much.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2017, 03:56:20 PM »
True. The following statement is made with no hate or disregard. My guess, is that you are Lubavitch. From my understanding Lubavitchers are extremely makpid on specific food related aspects of pesach that many others may not be. This seems to the issue you have with these program, we'll that's how I understand it at least. I feel like many of us who are not as "pro" these programs, have many different reasons behind it.

While the food is definitely an issue (and I am sure that every person or family has their own הקפדות for Pesach, even my BIL and I are makpid in different ways), it if far from being the only issue. I did make a clear distinction between the "luxury" programs which I am positive aren't in the spirit of anything I would be willing to attend at any price (paid to me), and other programs which I am not likely to attend, but am not making a blanket statement ruling out without knowing the specifics.

I think that a program that could allow for people to do their own cooking with their own food, would by definition cater to a different kind of crowd, and have a different kind of atmosphere, but this is pure speculation.
-- Dan

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2017, 04:05:16 PM »

I think that a program that could allow for people to do their own cooking with their own food

They have those already. 95% of practicing yidden participate in those actually.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2017, 04:05:46 PM »

They have those already. 95% of practicing yidden participate in those actually.
LOL
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2017, 04:47:23 PM »
There are 2 things to look at

1- Kashrus, which is a much bigger challenge on Pesach. In hotels in particular for varied reasons, the size, the menu needed, the staff, and the usually nonkosher establishment. On Pesach, small mistakes can pose a much bigger problem halachically.

2- Minhug, of not eating out on Pesach. Though its originates to eliminate the kashrus issue, it is still a minuhg.

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2017, 04:53:10 PM »
Just curious...How does one who attends a program truly fulfill bedukas chametz/ biur chametz? Do they have a ceremonial biur chametz event erev pesach at the hotel?

Doesnt it cross anyones mind that kids can grow up and never know you make a bracha for bedikas chametz? Or kids not knowing how to put up a sukkah for those that go away for sukkos?

What about teaching kids that you have to work to put together a yom tov and not just write a check. What of the enjoyment of sitting down to a seder knowing that your efforts were appreciated. There are so many interpersonal, marital, religious and other experiences that can be taken from a seder that cannot be replicated at a program.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Online aygart

• View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2017, 04:57:46 PM »
I have done it both ways as my grandparents were always in a hotel for pesach since at least the 50s. I went to a much more benign and heimish hotel without all the really crazy stuff. It was still not nearly as enjoyable as pesach at home. When we went after I got married my wife absolutely HATED it.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Menachem613

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2017, 04:58:58 PM »
Just curious...How does one who attends a program truly fulfill bedukas chametz/ biur chametz? Do they have a ceremonial biur chametz event erev pesach at the hotel?

Doesnt it cross anyones mind that kids can grow up and never know you make a bracha for bedikas chametz? Or kids not knowing how to put up a sukkah for those that go away for sukkos?

What about teaching kids that you have to work to put together a yom tov and not just write a check. What of the enjoyment of sitting down to a seder knowing that your efforts were appreciated. There are so many interpersonal, marital, religious and other experiences that can be taken from a seder that cannot be replicated at a program.

How would you know if they can be replicated at a program? I infer you haven't gone to a Pesach program. 

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2017, 04:59:21 PM »
There are 2 things to look at

1- Kashrus, which is a much bigger challenge on Pesach. In hotels in particular for varied reasons, the size, the menu needed, the staff, and the usually nonkosher establishment. On Pesach, small mistakes can pose a much bigger problem halachically.

2- Minhug, of not eating out on Pesach. Though its originates to eliminate the kashrus issue, it is still a minuhg.
Kashrus is a huge issue. I would venture a guess that most programs, even the best hechsheirim, end up having at least one major issue over yom tov. I've spoken to many head mashgichim about this.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2017, 05:03:44 PM »
How would you know if they can be replicated at a program? I infer you haven't gone to a Pesach program.
Yes, you're correct. The ad hominem attack is right on point.
However, You still havent addressed how you can replicate it or any other issue raised.

Offline Menachem613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2017, 05:06:17 PM »
Yes, you're correct. The ad hominem attack is right on point.
However, You still havent addressed how you can replicate it or any other issue raised.

You're asking me to justify a subjective standard. There's no way to respond to that.

Offline yoohoo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2017, 05:09:14 PM »
While the food is definitely an issue (and I am sure that every person or family has their own הקפדות for Pesach, even my BIL and I are makpid in different ways), it if far from being the only issue. I did make a clear distinction between the "luxury" programs which I am positive aren't in the spirit of anything I would be willing to attend at any price (paid to me), and other programs which I am not likely to attend, but am not making a blanket statement ruling out without knowing the specifics.

I think that a program that could allow for people to do their own cooking with their own food, would by definition cater to a different kind of crowd, and have a different kind of atmosphere, but this is pure speculation.
so basically, you have to clean your house, kasher your kitchen, shop for groceries, cook/bake, pack it all up to go, packup your family and be busy with menus/warming food the whole yt.......no thanks

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2017, 05:17:54 PM »

For similar reasons, I used to take my Kapporos chickens home with me to Kasher and serve for Seuda Mafsekes for quite a few years. It was a special experience for the kids, and I even had friend and neighbors who heard about it bring their kids over, so that they see that there's a real kashering process required. (I also found this to be more palatable than knowing that the chickens go straight to the garbage when left at the kapporos place). I haven't done it in the last 2 or 3 years, but might go back to doing it so younger kids should also see it.
-- Dan

Offline JTZ

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2017, 05:18:30 PM »
I knew I would find something I liked about you.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2017, 05:24:12 PM »
You're asking me to justify a subjective standard. There's no way to respond to that.
How in heaven's name are you calling it subjective? Its a fact. How does a husband show appreciation to his wife for making yom tov beautiful when sitting at the hotel seder?

What about teaching kids that you have to work to put together a yom tov and not just write a check? Thats subjective?

How old are you? Are you married?