Author Topic: David Citadel vs Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Re: David Citadel vs Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 11:04:04 AM »
Erm...I was the first to bring it up?
Lol. Just looked back, apparently I did. Its such a part of me that its second nature

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 11:24:30 AM »
Hearsay doesn't mean it isn't true. Simply means "information received from other people that one cannot adequately substantiate"
Everyone says that all Rabbis approve of it, yet I can't find a single one in Israel thats involved in the Kashrus scene to actually say that someone who doesn't eat regular Rabbanut can eat there. And that includes people who have had sit downs with the mashgiach and tours of the kitchen. Its largely stemmed from the bandwagon effect. So not to say that it isn't true, rather thats its unconfirmed with anyone in the know.
I hate arguing about the WA but you brought it up.

I spoke to someone that toured many hotel kitchens in Israel multiple times, that the actual supervision of standard Rabanut hotels is far superior from pretty much any restaurant you'll go to. The issue was the usually the ingredients used, but many times the mashgiach is available to discuss what is and isn't mehadrin to your standards.
Live forever or die trying.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 11:29:10 AM »

I heard from someone that toured many hotel kitchens in Israel multiple times, that the actual supervision of standard Rabanut hotels is far superior from pretty much any restaurant you'll go to. The issue was the usually the ingredients used, but many times the mashgiach is available to discuss what is and isn't mehadrin to your standards.

Lol. Pretty much just the opposite. The people running Rabbanut are extreme talmidei chachamim. They likely have the from the hardest smicha tests in Israel. The issue is by the time it trickles down to nimrod serving your shawarma its a joke. The supervision is most cases is for the most part nonexistent.

Offline Moshe F

• Non-Elite Member
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2017, 11:51:43 AM »
Any input on rooms/service or even breakfast spread (looks can be compared even if you didn't eat it  ;) )?

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 11:52:03 AM »

Lol. Pretty much just the opposite. The people running Rabbanut are extreme talmidei chachamim. They likely have the from the hardest smicha tests in Israel. The issue is by the time it trickles down to nimrod serving your shawarma its a joke. The supervision is most cases is for the most part nonexistent.

I disagree, walk into a hotel and they usually employ multiple mashgichim and some of them are extremely experienced and knowledgeable. The processes are also set pretty strictly to avoid mistakes and messups. In a rabbanut shawarma store I would be worried but the Citadel has far more supervision than probably any restaurant you've ever eaten in.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 11:59:11 AM »
I disagree, walk into a hotel and they usually employ multiple mashgichim and some of them are extremely experienced and knowledgeable. The processes are also set pretty strictly to avoid mistakes and messups. In a rabbanut shawarma store I would be worried but the Citadel has far more supervision than probably any restaurant you've ever eaten in.
Oh my bad, I apologize. I misread and didnt see you were equating hotels to restaurants, I agree that most of the time there is significantly greater supervision in the hotels than restaurants.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 12:12:46 PM »
If all of the ingredients are mehadrin then why don't they just have a mehadrin hechsher?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14379
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2017, 12:30:53 PM »
If all of the ingredients are mehadrin then why don't they just have a mehadrin hechsher?
I've heard that mehadrin hechshers don't allow any Jews to work at the hotel on Shabbos, but CMIIW.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 12:42:22 PM »

I didn't see someone here claim that the WA is fully mehadrin ingredients, unless I missed it.
Some of these hotels mashgichim will say they serve foie gras or non-mehadrin cheeses, which isn't too hard to avoid.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 12:44:37 PM »
I didn't see someone here claim that the WA is fully mehadrin ingredients, unless I missed it.
Some of these hotels mashgichim will say they serve foie gras or non-mehadrin cheeses, which isn't too hard to avoid.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2017, 01:05:34 PM »
<Image>
That is a very vague standard of a mashgiach stating that all ingredients are "mehadrin" while there can be many other differences as well as clear cut guidelines more than a texted claim of "mehadrin"
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2017, 01:10:27 PM »
<Image>

The fact that Rabbanut mehadrin is on the list would make it not fully mehadrin for many (most?) people.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 01:18:58 PM »
That is a very vague standard of a mashgiach stating that all ingredients are "mehadrin" while there can be many other differences as well as clear cut guidelines more than a texted claim of "mehadrin"
Hence why we spoke in person as well.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2017, 01:19:01 PM »
The fact that Rabbanut mehadrin is on the list would make it not fully mehadrin for many (most?) people.
Those poeple are not eating there either way. The question here is a difference between the current and Rabbanut Mehadrin. WA is not about to get Badatz.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2017, 01:19:51 PM »
Most is pushing it. Those who don't eat Rabbanut mehadrin yerushlayim prob won't eat at a hotel that's officially rabanut either.