Author Topic: Cancelling ticket due to medical emergency  (Read 5183 times)

Offline Hjay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Cancelling ticket due to medical emergency
« on: April 21, 2017, 11:12:30 AM »
Wasn't sure where to ask this as there a few diff aspects to my question so I started a new thread.

Booked a ticket with Turkish airlines on Priceline with an Amex biz plat. I have a note from my doctor stating that it would not be safe for me to fly now. What would be the quickest & easiest way to receive a refund? If it makes any diff it's tickets for my wife & myself & she obviously won't be flying without me.

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
Re: Cancelling ticket due to medical emergency
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 04:27:29 PM »
BUMP

Kind of time sensitive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 04:30:21 PM »
Call?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 04:34:43 PM »
It depends on your fare code.

If it's a cheap fare it might be a deeply discounted fare that officially does not allow refunds, even for medical reasons (Turkish actually specifies that in the fare rules of certain fares). Having said that, they might be willing to change the ticket for a fee (and fare difference if applicable), especially if you call before the first flight on the itinerary.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 09:53:39 AM »
Tried calling Turkish twice they won't talk to me because ticket was booked through an ota & they'll only deal with them. Been on the phone with Priceline a bunch of times over the past week and a half & im getting nowhere. Their reps are terrible, supervisors just as bad. Yesterday I finally got a response from Turkish (throughout Priceline has never reached out to me) through the case Priceline sent. Their response has nothing to do with the refund I was requesting rather a generic T&c which doesn't have much to do with my case.

Does anybody have any idea how to get Priceline to work with me in requesting this refund & following up correctly? This ticket was booked with an Amex biz plat, would they cover such a thing?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 10:45:04 AM »
Tried calling Turkish twice they won't talk to me because ticket was booked through an ota & they'll only deal with them. Been on the phone with Priceline a bunch of times over the past week and a half & im getting nowhere. Their reps are terrible, supervisors just as bad. Yesterday I finally got a response from Turkish (throughout Priceline has never reached out to me) through the case Priceline sent. Their response has nothing to do with the refund I was requesting rather a generic T&c which doesn't have much to do with my case.

Does anybody have any idea how to get Priceline to work with me in requesting this refund & following up correctly? This ticket was booked with an Amex biz plat, would they cover such a thing?

Most airlines won't talk to you if you booked through a TA, that's SOP for airlines.

Did you check the fare code like I recommended? If it explicitly excludes medical exceptions for refund, I don't think you can expect Priceline to go fight with Turkish on your behalf.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 10:56:04 AM »
There is a big market for an OTA with an Amazon philosophy of customer service.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 10:59:50 AM »

I'm not sure if such an OTA would be profitable after commissions/margins. Keep in mind that the airlines won't have much incentive to be more flexible, and the OTA would have to eat fees.

Interested in hearing other perspectives on this.

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 11:59:51 AM »
Most airlines won't talk to you if you booked through a TA, that's SOP for airlines.

Did you check the fare code like I recommended? If it explicitly excludes medical exceptions for refund, I don't think you can expect Priceline to go fight with Turkish on your behalf.
I haven't checked the fare code but but both Priceline & Turkish haven't said anything about that as well. My conversations with Priceline have been something like this. I called to cancel flight & emailed them doctors note. The next day (sun) called back they said I'd have to call on a day the dept that handles refunds is open. Called tues sit on hold for 15 min while thy review my case come back & say we got a response that they need documentation with dr license num etc. I said I already provided that wait on hold another 10 min rep comes back & says that is true & yesterday we responded like that as well. So now we have to wait again for response. Called again mon went through this bs again for 45 min. Ended with rep saying I should be receiving a refund or if not approved other communication within the next 2-3 hours. Call back tues fight with rep & sup over the same bs after over an hour phone call I'm told she reached out directly to Turkish & response could take up to 4 days. During the phone call I received an email from Turkish with a case num. a few hours later got another email from Turkish with generic t&c that don't have much to do with my request. Not once the entire time have they emailed or called me.

I guess maybe I'll try Amex b4 I call them again because they're impossible.

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 12:35:22 PM »

I never imagined their customer service would be so bad. Half of them can't even speak English correctly.

Offline shwarmabob

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 04:49:53 PM »
perhaps the credit card you charged it to provides travel insurance?

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 05:29:37 PM »
I never book w OTAs for this reason, even if it would give dan some extra spending money. I once was successful at getting priceline to pay me a check for SQ's $300 cancellation fee since I demonstrated it was missing from the fare rules PL displayed at the time of purchase. I'd recommend getting PL to conference TK on the phone and talk to both at the same time. I once had them do that, but they didn't want to.

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 05:47:52 PM »
I never book w OTAs for this reason, even if it would give dan some extra spending money. I once was successful at getting priceline to pay me a check for SQ's $300 cancellation fee since I demonstrated it was missing from the fare rules PL displayed at the time of purchase. I'd recommend getting PL to conference TK on the phone and talk to both at the same time. I once had them do that, but they didn't want to.
Lol, TK sales support will answer the phone...

SOP by TK (and many other airlines) to always answer check fare rules

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 06:19:20 PM »
I was actually ready to pay an extra $100 per ticket to book with my regular TA but I forgot to cancel my pl ticket. Tried again today got nowhere & now they're saying there is also going to be a no-show fee of $270 per ticket (which they obviously didn't tell me about when I called the first time to cancel) in addition to $135 rebooking fee & fare diff. It might end up being cheaper just rebooking through a diff airline. Maybe I'll try your idea of getting them to conference tk in that's my last resort.

I called Amex they said since I didn't purchase travel insurance this wouldn't be covered but I can dispute if I want but if they respond that it's non-refundable than I prob won't win the dispute. Wondering if I should try anyway or if I'm missing some benefit that I can use with them.

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 09:16:37 AM »
Fare basis code is PV5PCFB6. I checked fare rules it pulls up a page that doesn't really make too much sense. From what I was able to understand I didn't see anything about cancellation policy. Would anybody be able to help me decipher it?

http://www.priceline.com/travel/airlines/lang/en-us/InfoCtr/RetailInfoHelpPopUp.asp?session_key=344B050A334A050A2017050813082088c9e0130297&plf=pcln&hint=610

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 11:03:25 AM »
Try with the Travel Insurance on your Credit Card. Most have something that covers illness.

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 11:28:22 AM »
Try with the Travel Insurance on your Credit Card. Most have something that covers illness.
I called them they said I'd have to purchase travel insurance to be covered.

DROPR?

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 11:37:48 AM »
Amex has from the worst built in travel coverage in the industry from the major issuers.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 01:10:36 PM »
Fare basis code is PV5PCFB6. I checked fare rules it pulls up a page that doesn't really make too much sense. From what I was able to understand I didn't see anything about cancellation policy. Would anybody be able to help me decipher it?

http://www.priceline.com/travel/airlines/lang/en-us/InfoCtr/RetailInfoHelpPopUp.asp?session_key=344B050A334A050A2017050813082088c9e0130297&plf=pcln&hint=610

Can anybody help me out with the fare code? I plan on speaking with them today again wanna use anything I can

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 06:28:54 PM »
Can anybody help me out with the fare code? I plan on speaking with them today again wanna use anything I can
Dates of travel