Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1157672 times)

Offline m.m.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #2760 on: July 28, 2017, 11:01:55 AM »
probably answered already, but if there is a restocking fee, would it qualify for amex return protection?
and would it be approved?

Offline zagguru

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: July 28, 2017, 11:03:12 AM »
probably answered already, but if there is a restocking fee, would it qualify for amex return protection?

I returned something and paid a restocking fee and then amex reimbursed me for the restocking fee.

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #2762 on: July 28, 2017, 11:06:10 AM »
I returned something and paid a restocking fee and then amex reimbursed me for the restocking fee.
+1
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline m.m.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: July 28, 2017, 11:35:58 AM »
+1
thanks

Offline m.m.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: July 28, 2017, 05:10:21 PM »
I just realized I missed the return window, 14 days, would it go thru with amex?
Considering there would have been a restocking fee (this point is probably irrelevant)?

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #2765 on: July 30, 2017, 02:57:52 PM »
I just realized I missed the return window, 14 days, would it go thru with amex?
Considering there would have been a restocking fee (this point is probably irrelevant)?
If at this point you can't return it at all, you can file a claim with amex for the full cost. As long as it hasn't been 90 days yet.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline m.m.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: July 30, 2017, 04:34:00 PM »
If at this point you can't return it at all, you can file a claim with amex for the full cost. As long as it hasn't been 90 days yet.
thanks

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: August 08, 2017, 01:18:10 PM »
I filed a claim with Amex for two mattresses that I bought on Amazon. Amazon wouldn't take it back per their policy. Amex refunded $300 for one of them (the maximum amount they refund), but for the other, they said that because a $80 gift card was applied to part of the balance, they don't have to honor it per their policy, because their policy requires that the entire purchase be paid using the Amex card, and no part of it with a gift card.

Anyone hear of this nonsense before?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2768 on: August 08, 2017, 01:20:41 PM »
Return Protection offers you an extended return policy on eligible items charged entirely on an
eligible American Express® Card. If you try to return an eligible item within 90 days from the date
of purchase and the merchant won’t take it back, American Express may refund the full purchase
price, up to $300 per item, excluding shipping and handling charges related to the item purchased,
and up to a maximum of $1,000 per Card Member account per calendar year based on the date of
purchase, not during the year the claim was filed.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2769 on: August 08, 2017, 01:21:29 PM »
Anyone know what's changing on 9/1?

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: August 08, 2017, 01:26:28 PM »
Answer (at least w/r/t PRG):

They removed the below language, seemingly implying once and for all that benefit works even if card is cancelled!

Offline solls108

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: August 08, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »
Im curious as to the largest amount that was credited to an AMEX account for return protection where AMEX did not make the customer return the item. Anyone?

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: August 08, 2017, 01:50:39 PM »

I noticed that and did not think it would nor should apply in this context. The common understanding of that term is that if you purchase an item and pay only a part of it with Amex, you can't ask Amex to refund the full amount of the item, only the amount you actually put on the Amex. This has always been the understanding and it has worked for me in the past.

But there is another important point here. Amazon gift cards are NOT like other gift cards. Amazon automatically applies gift cards to orders if they are available in your account (unless you specifically choose not to). In this case, I paid for the entire product using an Amex, but Amazon only charged me for the product less the amount of credit in my account. While you can't expect most insurance companies to differentiate, "consumer friendly" Amex can definitely be expected to do so, as they are very familiar with Amazon and how it operates.

Either way, this is a huge downgrade from the way things used to be. I learnt that I can't rely on Amex anymore in the way I used to, and that it might be time to start purchasing alternative insurances like SquareTrade etc for products. 

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: August 08, 2017, 01:56:42 PM »
I noticed that and did not think it would nor should apply in this context. The common understanding of that term is that if you purchase an item and pay only a part of it with Amex, you can't ask Amex to refund the full amount of the item, only the amount you actually put on the Amex. This has always been the understanding and it has worked for me in the past.

But there is another important point here. Amazon gift cards are NOT like other gift cards. Amazon automatically applies gift cards to orders if they are available in your account (unless you specifically choose not to). In this case, I paid for the entire product using an Amex, but Amazon only charged me for the product less the amount of credit in my account. While you can't expect most insurance companies to differentiate, "consumer friendly" Amex can definitely be expected to do so, as they are very familiar with Amazon and how it operates.

Either way, this is a huge downgrade from the way things used to be. I learnt that I can't rely on Amex anymore in the way I used to, and that it might be time to start purchasing alternative insurances like SquareTrade etc for products.

You may have hoped it would not apply, or think that it should not apply, but those are the terms, in black and white.  You can try to spin it, but you simply did not pay for the product entirely with your amex. If you have been successful in the past paying only partially with Amex--in contravention of the black and white terms--then you have been lucky and amex (or its insurers) has been kind.

Should always be careful to unselect Amazon GC if one thinks he/she may have a need to use this benefit, precisely for this reason.  One cannot and should not expect amex to make accommodations for amazon's (somewhat unique?) check out procedures.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: August 08, 2017, 01:58:53 PM »
You may have hoped it would not apply, or think that it should not apply, but those are the terms, in black and white.  You can try to spin it, but you simply did not pay for the product entirely with your amex. If you have been successful in the past paying only partially with Amex--in contravention of the black and white terms--then you have been lucky and amex (or its insurers) has been kind.

Should always careful to unselect Amazon GC if one thinks he/she may have a need to use this benefit, precisely for this reason.

That's why I am not going to fight with them. But one thing is clear: this is not a walk in the park like it used to be. They are micro-analyzing claims like never before.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #2775 on: August 08, 2017, 02:01:02 PM »
That's why I am not going to fight with them. But one thing is clear: this is not a walk in the park like it used to be. They are micro-analyzing claims like never before.

I agree; but members must sleep in the bed they make.  Members who have exploited this benefit will be the end of it. I mean, look at this question below.  Even if not patently scheming, the distasteful nature of the question is right there, just under the surface.  No good deed goes unpunished.

Im curious as to the largest amount that was credited to an AMEX account for return protection where AMEX did not make the customer return the item. Anyone?

Offline mb1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: August 08, 2017, 02:56:57 PM »
I agree; but members must sleep in the bed they make.  Members who have exploited this benefit will be the end of it. I mean, look at this question below.  Even if not patently scheming, the distasteful nature of the question is right there, just under the surface.  No good deed goes unpunished.
The distasteful nature of this thread starts with the title.

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: August 10, 2017, 12:21:27 AM »
Darn! How unfortunate! You must be kicking yourself for missing it!
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: August 10, 2017, 12:26:12 AM »
2k for me
But that was a ups issue.

I've had claims denied over 2 years ago for that reason. Ime if it is eligible they pay it. I'm not seeing any changes.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline m.m.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: August 10, 2017, 12:38:32 AM »
Darn! How unfortunate! You must be kicking yourself for missing it!
how did you guess? :D