Author Topic: Waldorf Jerusalem sold!  (Read 19306 times)

Offline Let3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Waldorf Jerusalem sold!
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2017, 05:12:38 PM »
They are selling because they are developers and never intended on holding it, just like they sold the residences and didn't keep them

Who says they are removing Hilton?
They (the Reichman's that built it) did not plan on selling it all along, (at least not all of them)- only the residences.
And they specially told me that this hotel cannot turn a profit with Hilton running it...
(They wouldn't confirm with me how much they get per room booked on points etc.. just that it costs them more per room per night than they are getting from them)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2017, 05:19:35 PM »
(They wouldn't confirm with me how much they get per room booked on points etc.. just that it costs them more per room per night than they are getting from them)
Still makes no sense. If the hotel is full they get ADR.
And when it's not full, there's no way that it's better having a empty room than whatever Hilton pays for a non-full points stay.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2017, 05:24:41 PM »
Still makes no sense. If the hotel is full they get ADR.
And when it's not full, there's no way that it's better having a empty room than whatever Hilton pays for a non-full points stay.
maybe with the cost of breakfast and cleaning the room it costs more.

But in that case they should limit the breakfast. They are not obligated to give a five star breakfast

Offline Live N Learn

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2017, 05:38:57 PM »
maybe with the cost of breakfast and cleaning the room it costs more.

I wouldn't say so.
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline Dr Moose

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2017, 05:40:56 PM »
Why is it that chain hotels thrive everywhere except Israel?
I don't understand why a hotel like this needs to be part of a chain. It's one of the nicest in j-lem as people will book the hotel regardless.
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2017, 05:43:31 PM »
I don't understand why a hotel like this needs to be part of a chain. It's one of the nicest in j-lem as people will book the hotel regardless.
Plenty of brand loyal people who will stay there over the Citadel/Mamilla/King David just due to brand.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2017, 05:48:30 PM »
Plenty of brand loyal people who will stay there over the Citadel/Mamilla/King David  just due to brand.
True. But those two are somewhat of a brand with LHW.com
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2017, 05:52:14 PM »

The wealthy Hareidi crowd will still come because no hotel of that caliber holds a candle to how they cater to Shabbos observance, etc.  My friends that regularly go to Jerusalem and pay for hotels though would never stay there (instead love the David Citadel, King David, Inbal, etc.) because of the simultaneous price premiums and lack of a pool and views at the WA.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2017, 06:06:16 PM »
True. But those two are somewhat of a brand with LHW.com
Meh.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2017, 07:00:18 PM »
Meh.
That might be your response and mine. But that seems to be a very luxurious brand. Got their catalog when I signed up for United Club IINM (and possibly with some other cards). I guess it must mean something to a certain crowd.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2017, 01:41:55 AM »
Doesn't make sense.

They can't lower prices because of their name? There are plenty of less expensive Waldorf hotels, especially in off-season.

If last minute cancellations are an issue, why don't they just extend the cancellation policy?

Offline gross5g

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2017, 01:48:17 AM »
Plenty of brand loyal people who will stay there over the Citadel/Mamilla/King David just due to brand.
Don't agree just like the Sheraton plaza it will always be called the Waldorf at this point no matter what it's called later .
Also from speaking to people here the only clientele they got were the plaza people ,points enthusiasts and people who wanted to feel like they were rich staying in a Waldorf
Also the fact people believe they have a "reliable" hechsher more than the others (except the plaza) helped ,citadel king David mamila people who have been using those hotels for years didn't make the jump a good Shabbos it's more expensive and has no real view of the old city

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2017, 01:55:42 AM »

just that it costs them more per room per night than they are getting from them
Which makes everything your source says now unreliable.

Offline gross5g

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2017, 01:57:42 AM »
Doesn't make sense.

They can't lower prices because of their name? There are plenty of less expensive Waldorf hotels, especially in off-season.

If last minute cancellations are an issue, why don't they just extend the cancellation policy?

It's all part of the contract. There is a reason the cheapest rooms never fluctuate on prices they only go up never down.
Here in Israel they don't officially have an off season that's also why they can't play with the price. I think standard is 425-450 a night and you don't get any discount besides Hilton member for longer stays (except if Waldorf had a sale) other hotels in area will give cheaper prices for longer stays.

Offline moisheyb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2017, 01:58:56 AM »

It's all part of the contract. There is a reason the cheapest rooms never fluctuate on prices they only go up never down.
Here in Israel they don't officially have an off season that's also why they can't play with the price. I think standard is 425-450 a night and you don't get any discount besides Hilton member for longer stays (except if Waldorf had a sale) other hotels in area will give cheaper prices for longer stays.

I've seen regular rates at $325 or less...

Offline gross5g

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2017, 02:04:04 AM »
Not unless it was accessible room and book in advance. Look now you won't find anything cheap

Offline gross5g

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2017, 02:06:55 AM »
The hotel is stuck with having the Waldorf name so they can't compete for business during slow months like other hotels that give discounts and can lower their prices. I speak with the managers there on a regular basis and from sukkos to pesach (except for winter break end of Jan / Feb) hotel was at 40 percent occupancy . They have already been laying off workers . They also get hit because of having to keep to certain t standards befitting a Waldorf . Also alot of people (and agents) book rooms and try to flip them all the time either on points or profit which then when no one bites they cancel a few days before thereby opening the rooms ,and during high season that shows up on the hotel as no rooms available (like now the whole may was booked up for last few months and everyday a bunch of rooms open up) so people who would have booked end up going other places

Offline moisheyb

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2017, 02:07:52 AM »
Not unless it was accessible room and book in advance. Look now you won't find anything cheap

Whatever the case is the fact that the "more" frum crowd was going there and taking away a ton of business from the Plaza, I would think would sustain the hotel year round

Offline gross5g

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2017, 02:11:26 AM »
Plaza has always remained full besides for Shabbos people didn't jump to the Waldorf so much.

Offline moisheyb

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2017, 02:13:39 AM »
Plaza has always remained full besides for Shabbos people didn't jump to the Waldorf so much.

For the older crowd that may be true, but the younger crowd for sure goes to the waldorf