Author Topic: Waldorf Jerusalem sold!  (Read 19497 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Waldorf Jerusalem sold!
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2017, 02:18:14 AM »

It's all part of the contract. There is a reason the cheapest rooms never fluctuate on prices they only go up never down.
Here in Israel they don't officially have an off season that's also why they can't play with the price. I think standard is 425-450 a night and you don't get any discount besides Hilton member for longer stays (except if Waldorf had a sale) other hotels in area will give cheaper prices for longer stays.

Huh?
Of course they have off-season pricing:
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline gross5g

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2017, 02:34:47 AM »
I definitely know there are very few days that come out cheaper but could be based on avaialbility. What does that room go for on points? There are times now with the new program that it goes by availability if alot is open maybe it's cheaper as I know for shavous as the rooms got booked the prices went up I wanted to add a day to my reservation and they told me I'd have to rebook because prices all went up.
 very had to find a long block of nights for less then 95k can find some here some there but overall hard to find.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 02:42:54 AM by gross5g »

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2017, 03:46:27 AM »
Also from speaking to people here the only clientele they got were the plaza people ,points enthusiasts and people who wanted to feel like they were rich staying in a Waldorf

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2017, 09:39:45 AM »
Don't agree just like the Sheraton plaza it will always be called the Waldorf at this point no matter what it's called later .

Not really. People called the David Citadel "The Hilton" for a while and now you don't hear that anymore.

Lets see what happens when it gets renamed "The Leonardo Astoria"..

No way any Israeli company managing it will keep the standards. First thing they do is bring in a cheaper, locally trained staff and start selling off packages to tour operators.

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2017, 12:52:31 PM »

No way any Israeli company managing it will keep the standards. First thing they do is bring in a cheaper, locally trained staff and start selling off packages to tour operators.
+1

They kill any Chain hotel they take over.

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2017, 01:02:20 PM »
+1

They kill any Chain hotel they take over.

But let's be honest, they are profitable and isn't that the point of running a business?  We had Shabbat lunch at the David Citadel with friends when we were at the WA recently and it wasn't as nice but it was cheaper and the view was spectacular.  If I wasn't spending or earning points and it was a little bit cheaper I'd totally pay to stay at the David Citadel instead, especially if I could get an even better deal through some TA (which frum Jews are known to do)....

Offline a good yeshiva bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2017, 07:05:30 PM »
Well Elal is thriving
Not Really
Israelis have their own way of doing things...

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2017, 07:37:57 PM »
Where would they build a spa and pool?

That can be part of the reason they would back out of Hilton deal. At least that is what I have heard in the past.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2017, 07:50:15 PM »
Where would they build a spa and pool?

That can be part of the reason they would back out of Hilton deal. At least that is what I have heard in the past.

I believe it's all supposed to be underground.  Are you saying they'd back out of the Hilton deal so they wouldn't have to build the pool?  I think it's a huge disadvantage for them not to have one.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2017, 09:10:02 PM »
I believe it's all supposed to be underground.  Are you saying they'd back out of the Hilton deal so they wouldn't have to build the pool?  I think it's a huge disadvantage for them not to have one.
I wonder why they never had one to begin with.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2017, 09:36:47 PM »
I wonder why they never had one to begin with.

People on the WA thread said it was all smoke and mirrors and Reichmans never intended to build one because of the mixed-swimming issue but I don't know if the rumors are true.  I'm assuming it had to be in the designs at least for a Waldorf Astoria of this caliber and also to sell the Residences.

Offline yoohoo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2017, 02:41:05 PM »
People on the WA thread said it was all smoke and mirrors and Reichmans never intended to build one because of the mixed-swimming issue but I don't know if the rumors are true.  I'm assuming it had to be in the designs at least for a Waldorf Astoria of this caliber and also to sell the Residences.
they needed it in the designs to get 5 stars. Doubt they ever planned on going thru with it

Offline Cashman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2017, 04:21:41 PM »
Confirmed today  after meeting with a member of the reichman family. The hotel is not sold but yes it on the market and they are in serious negotiations with a number of buyers

Offline SrulyP

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Emerald EE; Hertz five star; Avis Five Star
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2017, 04:52:25 PM »
If the hotel does, in fact, leave the Waldorf brand, will they honor any current reservations or will Hilton compensate for the loss? How does it historically work, are there any data points?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2017, 04:58:34 PM »
If the hotel does, in fact, leave the Waldorf brand, will they honor any current reservations or will Hilton compensate for the loss? How does it historically work, are there any data points?
It's very YMMV. Depends on the breakup negotiations.
When I had the Sheraton Plaza booked on points, SPG moved us to the Mamilla.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Let3

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2017, 08:18:57 PM »
As far as I know they did have a plan to build it- with a separate floor for men and women ...
But when they weren't making a profit- it became to expensive to finish

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2017, 10:51:03 AM »
At the end of the day, being part of a chain has pros and cons. It puts you in a joint pool for marketing, requires you to pay marketing fees, and introduces a level of corporate oversight. Most customers prefer that, but it doesn't surprise me that the Jewish crowd is more idiosyncratic, and hotels can make a profit without the overhead expenses that being in a major brand requires.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2017, 11:38:45 AM »
At the end of the day, being part of a chain has pros and cons. It puts you in a joint pool for marketing, requires you to pay marketing fees, and introduces a level of corporate oversight. Most customers prefer that, but it doesn't surprise me that the Jewish crowd is more idiosyncratic, and hotels can make a profit without the overhead expenses that being in a major brand requires.

+1

As a meeting planner, I'd say that corporate benefits for hotels are really realized via business clients, for stays or meetings (an American or Chinese businessman isn't booking a random hotel in Israel and feels good with the security of a Hilton standard and I see tons of businemen at the Hilton TA whenever I'm there). That's why you don't see hotels leaving chains in Tel Aviv (and they are building a W).  They get lots of tourists and simchas at those hotels but ALSO lots of international businessmen and conferences.  Jerusalem isn't seeing those kind of business events or clients so as much as I've enjoyed my HHonors stays there it probably doesn't make business sense for the WA to stay with a chain relationship. 

Offline Pesach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2017, 08:58:32 PM »
I stayed for succos in Waldorf during the week and when there were only premier rooms available  and  by calling diamond desk Hilton now I'm trying to go for shavous 2nd day and wait for the first day availability to open up and I can't seem to get a rep to book it is there a reason? I had gold statues both times and I was booked into a premier room succos using the weekend certs ?thanks whoever responds

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2017, 09:07:26 PM »
I stayed for succos in Waldorf during the week and when there were only premier rooms available  and  by calling diamond desk Hilton now I'm trying to go for shavous 2nd day and wait for the first day availability to open up and I can't seem to get a rep to book it is there a reason? I had gold statues both times and I was booked into a premier room succos using the weekend certs ?thanks whoever responds

Shavuos isnt a weekend...