Author Topic: Vacation help...  (Read 2950 times)

Offline MnM1130

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Vacation help...
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:47:33 PM »
Ok this is a difficult post....
Seems as if we (husband, wife, baby) will be going to america (NYC) this summer to take care of business. Anyhow being that im married for 2+ years (i know not that long...) i really wanted to go for about 3-4 days on vacation somewhere- ANYWHERE.
This will be from anywhere of the week of june 12-19/20.
Flying out of TLV.

I was thinking a stopover in europe on the way to america (the main place im dreaming of going to is Venice)

now im askin opinions....
where in europe would you stop over?
would u stopover for a shabbos instead of 3-4 days during the week?
would u stopover in europe or fly to NYC and than fly out to lets say hawaii? (money wise, points wide...)

Ok now for points...
I have some points...
70k spg points
105k continental points
100k amex

i would use the spg points for hotel stays
and as for the other points- not sure if i would use them for flights or not- i didnt do that much research yet...

so if you can share your thoughts on the matter and if im leavin anythin else out lemme no..
just remember i have a baby (13 months) so that does come in to play a bit...

(paid tickets to go from tlv-vce-nyc-tlv=almost 1300$ a person- but thats just beginin numbers not researched alot)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Vacation help...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:48:56 PM »
Ok this is a difficult post....
Seems as if we (husband, wife, baby) will be going to america (NYC) this summer to take care of business. Anyhow being that im married for 2+ years (i know not that long...) i really wanted to go for about 3-4 days on vacation somewhere- ANYWHERE.
This will be from anywhere of the week of june 12-19/20.
Flying out of TLV.

I was thinking a stopover in europe on the way to america (the main place im dreaming of going to is Venice)

now im askin opinions....
where in europe would you stop over?
would u stopover for a shabbos instead of 3-4 days during the week?
would u stopover in europe or fly to NYC and than fly out to lets say hawaii? (money wise, points wide...)

Ok now for points...
I have some points...
70k spg points
105k continental points
100k amex

i would use the spg points for hotel stays
and as for the other points- not sure if i would use them for flights or not- i didnt do that much research yet...

so if you can share your thoughts on the matter and if im leavin anythin else out lemme no..
just remember i have a baby (13 months) so that does come in to play a bit...

(paid tickets to go from tlv-vce-nyc-tlv=almost 1300$ a person- but thats just beginin numbers not researched alot)

VCE is a great stopover idea, especially if you haven't been there. An extended weekend (Thursday to Monday) should be sufficient. I don't think Venice is very carriage friendly, you'll probably be best off with a Baby Björn. I can't advise you much on award travel, but I do know DL flies directly from VCE-NYC.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 02:08:14 PM »
thanks for your insite!
im wonderin if others think its better to stop over for 3 days during the week- or 4 days over the weekend...?
i mean theres not much availability around... but they said theres a waitlist if i want. So im seeing which one i should push for more. Shabbos i feel may be a bit hard with a baby... but maybe im wrong.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »
thanks for your insite!
im wonderin if others think its better to stop over for 3 days during the week- or 4 days over the weekend...?
i mean theres not much availability around... but they said theres a waitlist if i want. So im seeing which one i should push for more. Shabbos i feel may be a bit hard with a baby... but maybe im wrong.

I know you said you wanted to hear others' input, but take my word for it, virtually anyone who has spent Shabbos in Venice will tell you that you should definitely try for a weekend.

As far as the baby on Shabbos, most of Venice has a natural eiruv, so that should be helpful.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 04:35:24 PM by AsherO »

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 04:34:36 PM »
I know you said you wanted to hear others' input, but take my word for it, virtually anyone who has spent Shabbos in Venice will tell you that you should definitely try for a weekend.

As far as the baby on Shabbos, most of Venice has a natural eiruv, so that should be helpful.
ok i will take ur word for it.....
i would rather go for a shabbos cus its not like ill be spendin lots of money there so better go around on shabbos- less money being spent ;)
also i gotta c if they have rooms available- the spg rep told me to call every day cus things change all the time.... and i shud also put myself on a waitlist... anythin else i can possibly do?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 04:36:27 PM »
ok i will take ur word for it.....
i would rather go for a shabbos cus its not like ill be spendin lots of money there so better go around on shabbos- less money being spent ;)
also i gotta c if they have rooms available- the spg rep told me to call every day cus things change all the time.... and i shud also put myself on a waitlist... anythin else i can possibly do?

Read the Venice master thread. Now if only all the DDF members who wrote in the thread that they are going to Venice (I can list almost a dozen of them) wrote up trip reports...

Offline momo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 04:38:20 PM »
You should def go for shab, it is a great experience.

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 04:58:20 PM »
Read the Venice master thread. Now if only all the DDF members who wrote in the thread that they are going to Venice (I can list almost a dozen of them) wrote up trip reports...
i actually did read most of it... and im going to work on going for shabbos- im taking all ur advice its just a matter of room availability now..

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 04:59:08 PM »
i actually did read most of it... and im going to work on going for shabbos- im taking all ur advice its just a matter of room availability now..

Wishing you luck.

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 05:06:08 PM »
Wishing you luck.
ya thanks i will most def need it... if not ill just have to settle for during the week...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 06:08:37 PM »
Just keep checking, it will usually open up.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 11:22:10 AM »
ok now im checking for tickets (i think im really goin yay)
wondering if anyone can come up with anythin better....
Dates: June 16- TLV-VCE,   June 20- VCE-NYC   Sept 5- NYC-TLV
(times, airports and stopovers dont matter but im looking for the best of all)
i found the chpst for 1187 and the times of the flights to venice arent the best times (getting in late and leaving kinda early)
if anyone wants to do some searching... i would greatly appreciate that

also one more thing... would anyone know if im only allowed 1 piece of luggage cus im makin a long stopover in europe? cus that would really suck i will need 2 per person.