Author Topic: Major Appliances Extended Service Warranty - Worth It? Experiences? (New Leaf)  (Read 6716 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
I used to never buy extended service warranties, but after my BIL told me of his experience, I apparently decided to buy a 5 year extended service warranty the last time I bought a new oven/range.

I totally forgot about it, so when it malfunctioned recently, I called my trusted local service guy. He came to diagnose and told my DW that he would get back to us later with a quote. When he came back with a quote of $425, I vaguely remembered that I might have bought this on AMEX for extended protection, or possibly even bought a service contract. I looked up my old emails, and lo-and-behold, I indeed did purchase an extended service contract for $129 (range was $1,250 for a floor sample).

I had no idea what I had bought, so I googled the name of the extended service company on my receipt (New Leaf Service Pro) and indeed I had a 5 year contract. However, somehow my receipt had the wrong contract number (I wasn't told that on the first call) and the service contract had the wrong model number for my range. I was told that due to the wrong model number, I would have to file a paper claim, and submit my proof of purchase. As soon as I got to my desktop, I filled out the claim form, and emailed it back with a copy of the invoice. This was at 6pm on Erev Yomtov.

I had asked if I can use my own service person, but was told that I need to use whoever they send, which was Dial Appliance Service. I tried calling them to schedule service for Friday, but they close at 5pm. Their voicemail said that in case of emergency one can send an email, so I indeed sent an email, asking for service to be scheduled for Friday, and notifying them that I would be unavailable to respond or confirm anything for the 2 days of YomTov.

Apparently, despite me emailing a copy of the invoice, something was still wrong, and New Leaf was providing the wrong model number to the service provider, who said they won't order parts until they get the approval for the correct model number. Seeing what I was up against, I told them to order the parts, and if there would be no approval I would pay out of pocket. Only after multiple calls and email and escalations, did New Leaf seem to have corrected their records with the correct model number, but at that point it was already 4:59pm on Friday. They said it is in queue to send over the authorization to the service provider.

After this experience, I am starting to doubt whether it was worth it. For an extra $296 ($425 for repaid - $129 paid for service contract), I could have had a working oven for Shabbos. At the rate things are going now with the Extended Service company, it seems like I would be lucky if I have a working oven for NEXT Shabbos.

Anyone have other experiences, DPs or anything else to add?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
This is common with such service contracts
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
This is common with such service contracts
And the verdict is? Worth it or not? Any company better than others?

Also, does buying on AMEX extend even the extended service contract?
-- Dan

Online aygart

• View Profile
And the verdict is? Worth it or not? Any company better than others?

Also, does buying on AMEX extend even the extended service contract?
I had bought one knowing that the repair guy I use takes it.

Offline ib3

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I have had good experiences with service contracts. And I was even able to choose the service co.pany I wanted if that company worked with them. I called the service company first and they told me I need to schedule it with the warranty service. once it was scheduled with the warranty company and I chose​ the service company that I wanted I called them back to work directly with them. I was very satisfied with the way things worked out.
The only thing to keep in mind is that I bought service contracts  on 5 devices and only used it on 2 of them so the savings aren't that much  if any....

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
I have had good experiences with service contracts. And I was even able to choose the service co.pany I wanted if that company worked with them. I called the service company first and they told me I need to schedule it with the warranty service. once it was scheduled with the warranty company and I chose​ the service company that I wanted I called them back to work directly with them. I was very satisfied with the way things worked out.
The only thing to keep in mind is that I bought service contracts  on 5 devices and only used it on 2 of them so the savings aren't that much  if any....
Which extended warranty company?

Was it for major appliances? (I don't think I would consider for technology purchases, but major appliances are a different animal).
-- Dan

Offline ib3

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Washing machine​, dryer, air conditioner, oven x2. Used on refrigerator and dryer

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
Washing machine​, dryer, air conditioner, oven x2. Used on refrigerator and dryer
How long is contract?

What is the name of the extended service contract company?
-- Dan

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
Used it on front loader washing machine (Schriber insisted that I get one). Glad i have it.
Used it on a Refrigerator...door stopped closing properly, and shelf was cracked. (YMMV on the cracked shelf).

Today's appliances are not built like the older ones. They have a life span of 10 years. And they break down in between.
^^^

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
Used it on front loader washing machine (Schriber insisted that I get one). Glad i have it.
Used it on a Refrigerator...door stopped closing properly, and shelf was cracked. (YMMV on the cracked shelf).

Today's appliances are not built like the older ones. They have a life span of 10 years. And they break down in between.
Based on my experiences with major appliances, I would probably consider on washers, dryers, and ovens/ranges, given the propensity for things going wrong due to wear and tear in a regular Jewish home. Not sure about refrigerators. Also need to weigh against cost of paying out of pocket for repair, and replacement cost.

Having done some of my own repairs on ovens, washers and dryers (for many years I had the same ones, where a certain part would go bad, after once or twice, I started replacing it myself), I can also appreciate how the labor to repair is often harder than a refrigerator, given the compact packaging of all parts, and usually harder to move the appliance compared to a refrigerator.
-- Dan

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
They're all huge money makers for the insurers, but can help your peace of mind knowing you shouldn't have to shell out 500-1000$ for repairs when the inevitable happens. The main issue I have is the service tends to suck.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
They're all huge money makers for the insurers, but can help your peace of mind knowing you shouldn't have to shell out 500-1000$ for repairs when the inevitable happens. The main issue I have is the service tends to suck.
I agree that they are huge money makers for the insurers, however, if all users were like the average jewish home, they would either not make money or have to raise rates.

They don't expect washers and dryers to run 2-6 cycles per day 6 days a week. And cooking for large families, leaving ovens on for yomtov, etc, etc.
-- Dan

Offline Yammer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Bought a Sears extended warranty on my 9 yr old washer dryer.

Had an Issue shortly thereafter and called them.

Pro's.

They  fixed all the parts even the ones that they didn't need to.. ( it's like going to the official car  dealer after an accident and they fix a million parts ).

Cons

It took a week until they came down.

However we got from them a $50 check for sending the clothing to a laundry mat.

Online aygart

• View Profile
I have a Kenmore freezer and fur the regular warranty it needed to use Sears service. It took a week for them to come down and decide which part it needs. They wouldn't schedule the next visit until it came and then I needed to wait another week and a half for a total of over 3 weeks.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
Bought a Sears extended warranty on my 9 yr old washer dryer.
Cons

It took a week until they came down.

I have a Kenmore freezer and fur the regular warranty it needed to use Sears service. It took a week for them to come down and decide which part it needs. They wouldn't schedule the next visit until it came and then I needed to wait another week and a half for a total of over 3 weeks.

Hence, when someone has a different experience as per:

We all beg to know:

What is the name of the extended service contract company?
-- Dan

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
I had a good experience on a Washer with ElectronicWarranty.com

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
I had a good experience on a Washer with ElectronicWarranty.com
What was your good experience? Did you get prompt service? Were you able to choose a local (Heimishe) service provider?
-- Dan

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
What was your good experience? Did you get prompt service? Were you able to choose a local (Heimishe) service provider?

Went online to open a case, was given a calendar with slots available. Was assigned to a local technician (Didn't seem like I had an option to choose, but maybe by email or phone it may be possible) Ended up being a local (Heimishe) service provider who sent his non-Jewish worker. No parts where needed.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
Got a call this morning from service provider saying that based on tracking information they should have the parts tomorrow, so scheduled service for Wednesday - 1 week and 1 day after filing the claim with New Leaf.
-- Dan

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
I'm a big believer in service contracts for appliances.
When I redid my kitchen 11 years ago, I bought a whole bunch of appliances.  Over the next 5 years, my stove was a dud and I got my purchase price back, my fridge was a cheapo and needed repair and then replacement and my other stove had a minor issue that they fixed.  The replacement fridge was the same model as the original and had the same fatal flaw.  The second warranty company wanted to give me money only for the value of a used equivalent replacement! I was able to show them that it was not the equivalent and that my model is still on the market.  They upped their offer, but not to the full purchase price.  I took it.
I bought my service Contracts from the appliance sellers.
The second time it was Consumer Priority Service.
All times it was serviced by a local Jewish owned repair service with non-Jewish workers.  Some of their repair guys were better than others.  All had a day or more lag until they came for the first service call.  All had to wait for parts, when needed.
I more than got my money's worth out of my service contracts. I like that I can just call a guy and let him figure it out and fix it - without spending my time and effort on Google and Youtube.
My favorite cause: cssy.org