Author Topic: PSA: Airbnb is charging a hidden 3%+ fee for INTL listings  (Read 1821 times)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
PSA: Airbnb is charging a hidden 3%+ fee for INTL listings
« on: June 07, 2017, 05:54:40 PM »
Many travelers have been disappointed to find out that Airbnb has been charging a 3% conversion fee when you book any listing outside your country. The fee is not well displayed when you're booking, as airbnb adds it automatically. This 3% is on top of the regular service fees.

Now you might think- Dan told me to get the chase Sapphire Reserve- 0% forex fees, why don't I just pay with that? Tough luck, even if you change your payment currency to the host country they will still charge you the 3% currency conversion fee. In addition to the 3% hit, the conversion rate that Airbnb uses to convert is many time far off from market rates, which many customers say have added up to 10% in hidden fees.

In the case of my parent's listing in Israel that I manage, it's actually much, scummier what Airbnb is doing. I chose my payment currency as USD. My guests are all American and pay in USD. I get paid from Airbnb in USD. Yet, when a guest views my listing they will see a price that is 3% higher (before service fees) than what I set it at. Airbnb is literally charging 3% for an imaginary currency conversion that never took place.

I am writing this
a) to make sure you are aware of these hidden fees
b) remind you to avoid using sites that are scammy. Airbnb is a multi-billion dollar company that should not be using dirty hidden tactics to make more money
c) to help spread the word. I believe credit card companies do not allow forced currency conversion, and I'm not sure that the FTC will be too happy either about predatory business practices.

Some links: FT, reddit, airbnb community
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 06:11:34 PM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: PSA: Airbnb is charging a hidden 3%+ fee for INTL listings
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 06:00:36 PM »
File a complaint with your state's attorney general.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 06:12:23 PM »
Many travelers have been disappointed to find out that Airbnb has been charging a 3% conversion fee when you book any listing outside your country. The fee is not well displayed when you're booking, as airbnb adds it automatically. This 3% is on top of the regular service fees.

Now you might think- Dan told me to get the chase Sapphire Reserve- 0% forex fees, why don't I just pay with that? Tough luck, even if you change your payment currency to the host country they will still charge you the 3% currency conversion fee. In addition to the 3% hit, the conversion rate that Airbnb uses to convert is many time far off from market rates, which many customers say have added up to 10% in hidden fees.

In the case of my parent's listing in Israel that I manage, it's actually much, scummier what Airbnb is doing. I chose my payment currency as USD. My guests are all American and pay in USD. I get paid from Airbnb in USD. Yet, when a guest views my listing they will see a price that is 3% higher (before service fees) than what I set it at. Airbnb is literally charging 3% for an imaginary currency conversion that never took place.

I am writing this
b) remind you to avoid using sites that are scammy. Airbnb is a multi-billion dollar company that should not be using dirty hidden tactics to make more money
c) to help spread the word. I believe credit card companies do not allow forced currency conversion, and I'm not sure that the FTC will be too happy either about predatory business practices.

Some links: FT,reddit
Old story. They should give you an option to pay for your stay with the local currency but of course they don't. IME It is the same with paypal.

Offline a mirrer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 06:48:36 AM »
Old story. They should give you an option to pay for your stay with the local currency but of course they don't. IME It is the same with paypal.
-1 PayPal gives you an option to pay in local currency

Offline nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 10:08:38 AM »

I am writing this

Some links: FT, reddit, airbnb community
does it happen to be in nentanya ?
Just arrived here and the Airbnb that we got only has one AC.. we need one asap
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 10:21:46 AM »
does it happen to be in nentanya ?
Just arrived here and the Airbnb that we got only has one AC.. we need one asap

Sorry it's in Jerusalem
Visibly Jewish

Offline mordechain

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 12:49:38 PM »
Can you put up a link ( or pm if not allowed) a link to your listing?