Author Topic: Mortgage application  (Read 3503 times)

Offline fliZ

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Mortgage application
« on: June 07, 2017, 05:57:55 PM »
I'm hoping to find a house in the next 6 months and will apply for a mortgage then. My credit score is in the 830s. I'd like to get in on the Delta Platinum Business card but all my reading is full of dire warnings about getting a cc when applying for a mortgage. My question is: 1: Does this apply to high credit scores like mine. and 2: Does the fact that this is a business card change the equation at all?

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Mortgage application
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 06:01:10 PM »
I'm hoping to find a house in the next 6 months and will apply for a mortgage then. My credit score is in the 830s. I'd like to get in on the Delta Platinum Business card but all my reading is full of dire warnings about getting a cc when applying for a mortgage. My question is: 1: Does this apply to high credit scores like mine. and 2: Does the fact that this is a business card change the equation at all?
My mortgage company runs your credit once before anything happens and determines what bracket you are in, anything above 740 is the same. Just after the closing I believe, they do a soft pull to make sure it's all still in good standings. If you were to apply for only one card, it shouldn't cause any issues but listen to what others have to say.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 06:04:57 PM »

different rates in mortgages can have huge impacts on the total $ you pay out, Amex is once per lifetime now anyways so I am sure there will be another offer for you down the road.

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 06:12:39 PM »
I'm pretty curious about this too, because I'm planning to buy a house in the near future hopefully sooner than later!
My sister got a mortgage recently and her husband was afraid to open up new credit cards until mortgage went thru. I have credit limits totaling over 100k. Do I need to stand down from opening up new credit cards in order to get approved? Paging the 'mortgage expert' !!
Chaya L.

Offline fliZ

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 09:08:52 AM »
It sounds like people are saying that while it might not drastically affect your ability to get a mortgage, it might affect the interest rate you get.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 09:13:26 AM »
It sounds like people are saying that while it might not drastically affect your ability to get a mortgage, it might affect the interest rate you get.
Correct. The company I use, says the best rate is given if your score is 740+ but each company is different. So if you are in the 8's a few apps on one pull probably wouldn't be a problem.

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 12:51:56 PM »
Correct. The company I use, says the best rate is given if your score is 740+ but each company is different. So if you are in the 8's a few apps on one pull probably wouldn't be a problem.
True but even if your rate changes by a tiny amount because if it, you'll lose way more money than the $1k you make from a sign up bonus over the course of the mortgage.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 12:55:25 PM »
True but even if your rate changes by a tiny amount because if it, you'll lose way more money than the $1k you make from a sign up bonus over the course of the mortgage.
Correct. I'm just laying out the facts (pertaining to me) and anyone can do as they please.

Offline unclesam

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 06:12:13 PM »
My mortgage company runs your credit once before anything happens and determines what bracket you are in, anything above 740 is the same. Just after the closing I believe, they do a soft pull to make sure it's all still in good standings. If you were to apply for only one card, it shouldn't cause any issues but listen to what others have to say.
if they do a soft pull after closing how long after closing can 1 apply for new cards ?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 07:23:33 PM »
Just after the closing I believe, they do a soft pull to make sure it's all still in good standings.

What could they do once the paperwork is already signed?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 07:31:34 PM »
What could they do once the paperwork is already signed?
Good point, maybe he said right before the closing. They just look to make sure you haven't built a boatload of debt in the interim.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 07:32:24 PM »
if they do a soft pull after closing how long after closing can 1 apply for new cards ?
Theoretically, one you have your rates locked, you should be fine. Don't quote me on that though.

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 07:45:18 PM »
Theoretically, one you have your rates locked, you should be fine. Don't quote me on that though.

I will quote you to say that this may not be true. Everything you sign has small print stacked in favor of the bank. I'm pretty sure they can change anything they want on you.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 07:49:47 PM »
I will quote you to say that this may not be true. Everything you sign has small print stacked in favor of the bank. I'm pretty sure they can change anything they want on you.
Never heard of a rate locked voided due to a credit card pull.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 07:49:58 PM »
Including this. If your credit score changes until the closing, they have a right to change the rates.

Offline unclesam

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 08:08:54 PM »
thanks.  Will wait until a day after closing hoping the new debit won't effect approval

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2017, 09:00:37 PM »
Never heard of a rate locked voided due to a credit card pull.

not likely but imo not worse the risk. Who know how close someone is to a downgraded rate

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 09:03:11 PM »
not likely but imo not worse the risk. Who know how close someone is to a downgraded rate
Take a look at my earlier post. My broker told me the rates are broken up by credit score, in multiples of 20. Anything above 740 is the highest possible bracket. This may not be a rule across the board, but that's how my company works. If you're over 800, there should be no risk in this regard.

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 09:11:23 PM »
They usually do a hard pull to make sure that nothing changed. Ie FICO score bucket and no new debt. If they see new pulls since they last pulled credit they're going to ask for explanation.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 09:26:18 PM »
They usually do a hard pull to make sure that nothing changed. Ie FICO score bucket and no new debt. If they see new pulls since they last pulled credit they're going to ask for explanation.

that's my experience as well. They also asked me to explain every credit pull and every deposit over x amount