Author Topic: Sam 28 Vancouver / LA / palm springs TR Aug 2016  (Read 6323 times)

Offline sam28

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Sam 28 Vancouver / LA / palm springs TR Aug 2016
« on: June 08, 2017, 11:09:34 AM »
Vancouver / LA /palm springs TR Aug 2016

I was looking for first class tickets for me my wife and 2 kids age 2 and 9 but was only able to find business class tickets. About 1 week before traveling I booked 4 tickets on BA web site with Cathay Pacific. Cost of ticket was 37,500k BA miles and $5.00 for each ticket. 

AUG 21 DAY 1

We arrived to JFK 2 hours before our flight. Check in was fast, there was almost no line by security. We went into the BA lounge; it was not bad at all. Our flight was supposed to leave at 9:45 but it was delayed till 10:30. We finally boarded our Cathay Pacific business class, the service was great Our seats were great too.  We managed to sleep a little but the flight went fast. I did not eat the kosher meal but it looked pretty decent. We landed at 1:10am!

I was supposed to pick up a car by Avis but for some reason it took a while for the airplane to bring our car seat. When I got to the Avis counter it was closed, was told by someone I missed them with 2 minutes.

Pictures of the plane

Big one in here seat

Food I did not eat

Since we did not have a car we had no choice but to take a cab to our hotel. The way took 25 minutes and they charged $30.00 CAN flat rate.

We arrived at our hotel at 2:30am. Check in was quick. I couldn’t fall asleep since we were still on NYC time but the kids slept and it was a great start for our vacation.
We stayed in Westin Grand Vancouver, since they were the only one available with points. We got upgraded to a one bedroom corner suite with a balcony. The view was very nice but the room was small but it worked out because we had two rooms. They gave us a big refrigerator and they gave great service.   

Hotel cost was 12k spg per night we stayed there for 4 night the total cost was 46k spg .

Aug 22 day 2

We woke up bright and early on NYC time. The weather was absolutely beautiful. I davened and ate a good breakfast that we bought along on our balcony it was so nice. I was searching for a car in the area but none were available or for $120 a day. So I went to the airport by train for $2.75. The way took about 25 minutes. I got my car went back to hotel to pick up my family.

We couldn’t decide what to do cuz we were all tired and wanted to take it easy.

We went to Stanley Park, rented bikes and biked the path. The views were amazing, it’s really stunning there. We spent there about 4 hours. Then the little one got tired so I dropped off my wife and the little one to the hotel and me and my 9 year old went to Canada Place. The view up there is breathtaking.  We did fly over Canada, it’s a must to do, it’s interesting and fun. The whole thing took about 45 minutes and  And we called it a day!

Pictures of Stanley park

U can take this round the park for a 1 hour tour we did not do it .

Pictures of Fly over Canada

At 7 o’clock we went to eat at Maple Grill. It was very very busy but they got us a table in 5 minutes. The food was good but nothing special. The price is ok, it took very long for waiter to take our order and then ages till we got our food. They have a few parking spots behind the restaurant or you have to park on the street and pay a meter.

Pictures of food

Soup for kid

We made early night, we were all exhausted but wow what a great day.
Since it was out daughter’s birthday they sent us up some stuff it was not kosher but it was nice of them.

Picture of birthday chocolate

To be continued

Offline mgoldhammer18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
Re: Sam 28 Vancouver / LA / palm springs TR Aug 2016
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 11:26:43 AM »
good start

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 05:56:05 PM »
Aug 23 day 3

We finally got a good night sleep. We went out to buy some breakfast.  So we went to check out Omnitsky Deli. There was nothing there for breakfast. So we went to check out the restaurant at the Chabad center, but nothing looked fresh and the service was really bad. So we went to Sabras, they don’t have much of a selection, but he made for the kids sandwiches for me a falafel. It was very good.

By the time we left the store it was 11:30. We went to Grove Mountains. The views and shows were nice, but its ok if you skip it. It’s not worth the money and it is not the most kid friendly place. The little one definitely didn’t enjoy it.

Picture outside the kosher stores

Stuff they have

Once you’re up there they have a tall windmill. You take an elevator up about 10 floors and there’s a watchtower. You can see views it’s nice but not a must.
Then we went to check out the suspension bridge.  It is best to do it without kids they have some nice hikes.

Picture of Grove mountains

On the way up

Bird show I think it was burning

The windmill

View all the way on top inside the mil.

Watching the bird show

For supper we ordered pizza from Sabras, it was delicious. Then we went to the Supercenter Store on Marine Drive. They have lots of kosher food. We found milk, cheese, and ice cream. They had many more food available there.

Pictures of the kosher section in the store

The pizza for the day it was great

View from our porch

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:47:22 AM »
Aug 24 day 4

We woke up early because we wanted to go to Whistler for the day. We went with kids so we could not do it too fast. If you have the option you should rather sleep over there and do it in 2 days.

We left at 9am to Whistler. The first stop was the Britannia Mine Museum. We got there at 9:40. The first tour starts at 10 and takes about 45 minutes. By the time we left there was about 11. (it’s  not for babies so my wife stayed with the baby and I went with my daughter.)

Picture of the mine

The view from the mine

Inside

The view on the way to Whistler is amazing, no words can describe how beautiful it is. You can keep on stopping but we didn’t have much time.

The next stop was Shannon Falls. We were there for about 15 minutes took pictures and left.

Picture of Shannon Falls

The next stop was supposed to be Sky to Sea Gondola. Its 2 minutes from Shannon Falls. I was afraid I won’t have enough time for Whistler so I skipped it. We will have to come back again to do this attraction.

My GPS kept on giving me a wrong address for Peak to Peak Gondola in Whistler. We spent about 20 minutes looking for the place.

For anyone going to Whistler you should put into GPS Whistler Village. Once you park your car there you walk about 5 minutes and buy tickets there. Or you can buy tickets online 5 days in advance and get a much better price. But I didn’t buy so we waited in line about 10 minutes to buy the tickets.

Once we got our tickets we went up with one gondola to the peak. Till the top takes about 30 minutes and the view is spectacular

Picture on the way up there

When you’re up there you can take hikes, but with the kids we just took some pictures and walked around the area. Over there you can take another gondola called Peak To Peak. It takes you from one top of mountain to another.  There you can take a chairlift down or you can go back to first peak and take a chairlift down.

When you’re on the peak there’s another chairlift that goes up even higher. The view is beautiful. You see snow on the mountains and many hike trails.

Some pictures

]

]

Up on the mountain

]

]

]

]

]

U can take a ride up there

The chair lift with the glass floor so u can spot some bears we did not see any

]

On top u see hikers

It was about 4:30 till we came down from the mountains. At 5 we left Whistler heading back to Vancouver. Arriving into Vancouver was heavy traffic so we got there about 8. We went to eat at Maple Grill again and had to wait 30 minutes to be seated.

Pictures of the food

Offline Square

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 01:18:13 PM »
Thanks, very useful info, I booked the Westin Grand for the beginning of July.

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 01:34:23 PM »
Thanks, very useful info, I booked the Westin Grand for the beginning of July.

thanks u will enjoy it its a nice hotel .

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »
Aug 25 day 5 last day in Vancouver

I bought tickets with WestJet from YVR to LAX. It was $133.00 each. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 7:45 pm. The way took only about 2 hours 15 minutes. For some reason they did not charge us for our suitcases and 2 boxes of food.

So for the last day in Vancouver upon wakeup we ate breakfast in our hotel room. The weather was beautiful. We really wanted to go to Island Victoria but it was too risky. We went to the Harbor where all the boats leave to the islands, and decided to go to Bowen Island.  It’s a 30 minute ferry ride with beautiful views on the water. Our ferry was supposed to leave at 12:10. We had 35 minutes to kill till our boat will depart so we went around the shops outside the harbor, there’s a nice park with a playground and lots of stores. The view around the harbor is beautiful.

There isn’t much to do on the Island. We took a nice walk on a trail and headed back to our ferry. But it was worth it cuz the water is so nice the mountains round and round was spectacular to see.  If you have the time to go to Island Victoria it’s a must. Even just for the amazing views from the boat.

When we got back was about 3:30 so we went straight to the airport. Meanwhile I called Sabras and ordered 2 pizza pies to go. So it would be ready when we got there. The store is about 15 minutes from the airport. The pizzas were yum!

Picture of the day

Saying goodbye from the plane to Vancouver 

Then off to the airport to lax

AUG 25 11 pm we arrived in LAX .

August 26 - Friday

We stayed at Sheraton by the airport. In the morning I went to Avis to pick up my car. We drove into Los Angeles to get a good breakfast. We ate by Pico Café, the food was very good. Then we went to buy some groceries for Shabbos.

About 12:30 we headed out to my most favorite place called Palm Springs. I have been there a few times already and will go back as much as I can.

It was 120 degrees when we got there but I still love that place. We rented a house for the weekend and ended up staying till Tuesday. It was really really hot everyday. All we did was relax in the pool from morning to night. It was truly amazing .

Pic of the food in pico café la

Tuna melt

Pictures of palm springs house, pool view

On Tuesday morning we left Palm Springs at about 8:30 heading to Disneyland. We were in the park by 11AM. We were there all day till 10pm. The kids had the time of their life and so did the adults.That night we stayed in Sheraton at the airport.

Wednesday Morning I returned my car and headed to the airport. Our flight was 11am back to NYC.

Overall we had a great fun vacation. We will for sure go back to Vancouver.   

I hope this trip report is not too long and that you enjoyed reading it!

Offline Proisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 01:49:48 AM »
Great stuff!! People don't realize the beauty we have on this side of the world!! Vancouver is by far my favorite city....Though I haven't been back since all the kosher places opened up...