Author Topic: Frequent flying NY to TLV  (Read 1526 times)

Offline dentsim

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Frequent flying NY to TLV
« on: June 12, 2017, 03:43:02 AM »
I have been flying El Al twice a month from JFK to TLV for work. I just got up to Platinum status. I get two checked bags at 32 kilo each (which I had with Gold status) but that is about all I get.
United and Delta would give me equal status if I switch over to them. Is it worth it?

My goals:

- Get to Israel for shabbos. (I leave thursday afternoons. El Al has the best time of 7pm from JFK, but United has a 4:20 from Newark. Delta used to have a 4pm from JFK, but not currently)
- Get an upgrade once in a while (El Al gives me economy plus, but that is still worse than most other airlines regular seats :(  They will only upgrade to business if economy is sold out and they have to move people somewhere. That has never yet happened to me)
- Overall cost
- Use of miles for bonus tickets

Please share your experience with United, Delta, and El Al, as well as your knowledge of upgrades and points.

Thank you!

Offline Torkay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Frequent flying NY to TLV
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 04:28:12 AM »
I can't answer all of your questions but I would much rather status on United or delta...

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 06:53:43 AM »
Having united status helps with flying everywhere else I mt he world. Same with the miles.

Offline nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 12:14:44 PM »
Having united status helps with flying everywhere else I mt he world. Same with the miles.
+1, after a few flights with united (assuming you can show them you'll be flying that much) have them review your account and try to get Global Service!
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 12:35:09 PM »

I have been flying El Al twice a month from JFK to TLV for work. I just got up to Platinum status. I get two checked bags at 32 kilo each (which I had with Gold status) but that is about all I get.
United and Delta would give me equal status if I switch over to them. Is it worth it?

My goals:

- Get to Israel for shabbos. (I leave thursday afternoons. El Al has the best time of 7pm from JFK, but United has a 4:20 from Newark. Delta used to have a 4pm from JFK, but not currently)
- Get an upgrade once in a while (El Al gives me economy plus, but that is still worse than most other airlines regular seats :(  They will only upgrade to business if economy is sold out and they have to move people somewhere. That has never yet happened to me)
- Overall cost
- Use of miles for bonus tickets

Please share your experience with United, Delta, and El Al, as well as your knowledge of upgrades and points.

Thank you!
As much as I dislike ELAL, I would say that if leaving Thursday afternoon and getting to TLV for Shabbos is important, that might be your best choice. When everything goes as planned, I would say United might be the way to go, but if unexpected things happen, I think LY will get you there for Shabbos (considering Platinum status).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline moe8555

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 01:46:16 PM »
I have been flying El Al twice a month from JFK to TLV for work. I just got up to Platinum status.

Do you anticipate reaching Top Platinum at some point?  And out of curiosity: what has you flying so much?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 04:38:02 PM »
Elal lounges are far superior to UA
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 04:41:17 PM »
Elal lounges are far superior to UA
Plural?

ETA: I guess if we are dealing with mainly TLV_JFK then yes.
Feelings don't care about your facts