Author Topic: Dave Ramsey Financial Coach Live Training  (Read 7575 times)

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Dave Ramsey Financial Coach Live Training
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 11:27:36 AM »
How about, "Am I saving as much as I can for retirement so I can free myself from the slavery that is my day job?"
If that's really how you feel about your day job then maybe it's time for a new one....
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 11:33:42 AM »
There are tens of thousands of DDFers out there I'm sure someone has info that can benefit me.
You are not understanding. We are all giving you advise. You are the one unwilling to accept that advise. We are all telling you that the entire philosophy behind his seminar is faulty. That is very useful advise.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2017, 11:34:20 AM »
If that's really how you feel about your day job then maybe it's time for a new one....
+10000000000000

Offline farmbochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2017, 12:03:20 PM »
nah, I like my job and would probably continue to do it even if I already amassed enough savings to comfortably retire.  Perhaps slavery is too harsh a term, but financial independence is a powerful thing. My point is there's more to financial wellness than "do I pay my CC in full each month?"
Risk is opportunity

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2017, 12:04:55 PM »
financial independence is a powerful thing.
I don't think anyone is arguing with that.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2017, 12:05:48 PM »
But there's no denying that we spend more when swiping plastic vs handing over paper dollars.
I would deny that.

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2017, 12:44:06 PM »
I agree. Self control goes a long way - which is why I continue to use credit cards. But there's no denying that we spend more when swiping plastic vs handing over paper dollars.  I also think it's a mistake to say, "I'm paying the balance in full so clearly CC's are okay for me." How about, "Am I saving as much as I can for retirement so I can free myself from the slavery that is my day job?"
While there is room for some of his more general ideas, I think thiis a mistake. While if you swipe recklessly it's true and therefore true for most Americans. Most DDFr's are nor "regular" Americans.
Think about return protection or extended warranties. I don't spend more on a smartphone or major appliance if i use a credit card. These are not impulse purchases, rather i have decided on a budget and then proceed to put in on a credit card for the benefits it provides.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2017, 02:01:52 PM »
I use cash for everyday spend and only pull out CC's for MSing. Keep separate checking accounts for MS and regular spend.
I don't know about you but my everyday spending likely makes up ~1% of my points accruals. 99% comes from MSing.
Much of everyday spending is not impulse spending and should be done with a credit card. Utilities, for example. Large purchases that you're planning and researching, like moko said, also should go on a cc.
I understand that groceries, lunch and 'shopping on the avenue' may be where many will overspend because it's plastic not cash.  But cc's shouldn't be used only for MS.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2017, 02:13:12 PM »
nah, I like my job and would probably continue to do it even if I already amassed enough savings to comfortably retire.  Perhaps slavery is too harsh a term, but financial independence is a powerful thing. My point is there's more to financial wellness than "do I pay my CC in full each month?"
So what's stopping you from saving (a strong distinction needs to be made between saving and investing). By all means, put savings at the top of your priority list, rather than just an afterthought after all spending is done.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ADG

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2017, 04:56:22 PM »
I think he is likely to find people here- specifically here- who have been helped by Dave's approach. All the CC games can lead a person into debt if they are not wise.

My BIL loves Dave because he claims its a psychological problem not a economic one. Dave claims its not your economic skills that got you into debt and so they will not take you out. My BIL pays off cards that have lower balances with zero APR before he pays off big balances with huge APR because he feels accomplished by tackling one card. Economically speaking it is dumb. 

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2017, 05:03:59 PM »
I think he is likely to find people here- specifically here- who have been helped by Dave's approach. All the CC games can lead a person into debt if they are not wise.

My BIL loves Dave because he claims its a psychological problem not a economic one. Dave claims its not your economic skills that got you into debt and so they will not take you out. My BIL pays off cards that have lower balances with zero APR before he pays off big balances with huge APR because he feels accomplished by tackling one card. Economically speaking it is dumb.
Very well said. And studies have backed up his snowball method leading to increased motivation. It's not for us, but that doesn't mean it's not for anybody.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2017, 05:07:12 PM »

I think the first step will be to do some research into his financial philosophies. He takes an extreme position against debt. For some who have difficulty controlling themselves that may have a place because once they start they will never stop. On the other hand the prudent use of debt can be very beneficial.

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2017, 05:37:42 PM »
The flip side is- that CC use is known for increasing spending in many kinds of ways; a big one is psychologically. If you spend more then you would otherwise because of promotions including sighn up bonuses the points are not considered earnings rather bait. Everyone here knows that promotions and "deals" are often used as bait- and I dont believe anyone who says they are completely immune to this. The only way to develop immunity INHO is to fall for it a few times. There is a thin line between you having the upper hand vs. a promotion- even if you do have the upper hand that doesnt mean they do not as well.

If you pay APR on CC which many people do- using a CC is economically stupid by all measures. My BIL was subject to both of these- so for him to spend on a debit is great- economically.

Offline oiseli48

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2017, 10:38:19 PM »
Personally there's a lot I took from Dave. The extreme budgeting, the emergency fund, and the disdain for leasing as opposed to buying a used car are some points I've taken from it

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2017, 11:12:21 PM »
Personally there's a lot I took from Dave. The extreme budgeting, the emergency fund, and the disdain for leasing as opposed to buying a used car are some points I've taken from it
I am sure he has many good ideas. The issue is with the extremity of them. For someone who needs extreme measures then great, but if not then why be so extreme?

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2017, 11:12:32 PM »
Dave or Dan?  :o ;)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2017, 11:45:42 PM »
I like my 2011 Altima :)
Was better before my brother nearly totaled it last year though.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2017, 01:57:23 AM »
There are tens of thousands of postal workers also but would you ask your mailman? All people are saying is its the wrong place to expect an answer
Actually his mailman has a better chance of having debt problems so that might not be a bad idea.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2017, 01:58:23 AM »
You'll probably do better on creditboards.com (although they generally aren't major fans either).
He will get destroyed over there asking about DR.  :)
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2017, 11:32:51 AM »
I am sure he has many good ideas. The issue is with the extremity of them. For someone who needs extreme measures then great, but if not then why be so extreme?

You do not need to apply them in an extreme fashion