Author Topic: Bloomberg Article - What We Need—and Don’t Need—From Government in the Robot Age  (Read 984 times)

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
I believe this article deserves a thread of its own, rather than just being in the "interesting articles" thread.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-22/what-we-need-and-don-t-need-from-government-in-the-robot-age

I think many people out there don't realize the effect that automation will have on everything in the next decade and beyond, and the social and economical impact. This article just begins to scratch the surface.

Full disclosure: I voted for Bloomberg twice out of the three times he ran for mayor. I can't stand the guy, but respect him for what he is, and think he was an excellent CEO of one of the largest and most complicated corporations in the USA - the City of New York. That being said, towards the end of his 2nd term, I felt he was becoming too arrogant, and enforcing his liberal agenda.

He is definitely a very smart guy, and is worth listening to, even if one doesn't agree with his positions.

Here are some of the best quotes out of the article, which I find myself agreeing with:

"Giving people a check isn’t the same as giving them an opportunity to pursue their ambitions and fulfill their potential. Industriousness, and the chance to shape your own destiny, has always been a critical part of what’s made America an exceptional nation."

"Employer-sponsored health insurance is an accident of history—businesses began offering the benefit as a way around World War II wage controls—and the Affordable Care Act left the system largely in place. One way to mitigate the harmful effects on workers who lose their jobs would be to de-link health insurance from employment to ensure that everyone can receive care when they need it, including when they are between jobs or unable to find one." - This is one positive that could have come out of Obamacare and did not, and can't come soon enough. There's no reason in the world why health insurance should be linked to work. That should be outlawed, as it is discriminatory!

And here's one for those that think that English education is important: "We will also have to rethink our approach to education, which follows an antiquated model: School years are based on an agricultural economy that required children to work the fields during the summer months. Education laws stifle innovation and parental choice. And vocational training programs are based on an industrial past, turning off many students who might opt for such programs and often leaving those who do enroll ill-prepared for careers."
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
surprisingly short article. I felt like the article is just setting the background and then it ended. Much more to be said and developed on the subject.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
surprisingly short article. I felt like the article is just setting the background and then it ended. Much more to be said and developed on the subject.
That is because as a liberal he is not willing to accept the logical conclusion of these concepts. This is known as ________________________.
Feelings don't care about your facts