Author Topic: Usefulness of a BTL  (Read 6899 times)

Offline cater613

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • www.cater613.com
Usefulness of a BTL
« on: July 03, 2017, 07:43:55 PM »
Hi everyone.  Our oldest son in finishing his 2nd year in a Beis Medrish in Lakewood.  The yeshiva just got accredited for a BTL program.  We would like for him to start taking some college classes in the fall, but, he is interested in staying for 2 more years and getting the BTL.  Is the BTL a valid degree that he can use to get into grad school?  We are BT's and have heard mixed reviews.  Anyone out there want to give us some advice?  Thanks!!!

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Usefulness of a BTL
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 07:51:57 PM »
Law School or Business School they are great.

Or add another 2 years of basic sciences for med school.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 07:56:02 PM »
Law School or Business School they are great.

Or add another 2 years of basic sciences for med school.

Higher tier schools are leery of them

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 07:56:13 PM »
Could get into graduate programs in Bellevue University through YIEP.

http://theyiep.com

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 08:05:23 PM »
Higher tier schools are leery of them
In which category?

Online ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 08:08:58 PM »
In which category?

I know for sure law

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 08:15:37 PM »
I know for sure law
Yale and Stanford aside I don't think that's true. GPA and LSAT are likely 90%-95% of what matters.

Offline cater613

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
    • www.cater613.com
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 08:24:36 PM »
Thanks for your input - I'm still on the fence.  It's hard for us to understand since we went to secular undergrad/grad schools.  I'm not saying one avenue is better than the other. We are just unfamiliar with all of the options in the yeshiva system and want our sons to get college degrees in a setting that is comfortable for them.  Our 2nd son is heading to Lakewood Elul zman too.  This forum is very helpful - thanks:)

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 08:53:22 PM »
Yale and Stanford aside I don't think that's true. GPA and LSAT are likely 90%-95% of what matters.
Not anymore. NY schools especially have become suspicious of such degrees in recent years.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 08:59:16 PM »
Not anymore. NY schools especially have become suspicious of such degrees in recent years.
So take out Columbia and NYU. Still leaves you with Harvard, Penn, NW, Chicago, and others that are fine with it.  Although I'd be interested in hearing how many 173+ lsat and 3.9+ gpa BTL's got turned down from Columbia.

I'd bet most BTL's are crying BTL not working when if they are only at median scores...

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 09:00:06 PM »
So take out Columbia and NYU. Still leaves you with Harvard, Penn, NW, Chicago, and others that are fine with it.  Although I'd be interested in hearing how many 173+ lsat and 3.9+ gpa BTL's got turned down from Columbia.
Ask how many 165s got turned down from Fordham.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 09:02:48 PM »
I'm only talking about the top schools. I don't know about the others at all.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 09:02:55 PM »

how many 165s got turned down from Fordham?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 09:12:55 PM »
how many 165s got turned down from Fordham?
Some

Offline ella

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 09:14:58 PM »
i wish uninformed people wouldn't give advice.

im in an ivy league grad school and come from a family of ivy leaguers who have gone to medical, dental and law schools. for that reason, i won't give advice about business school, because i know little about it.

a BTL can get you into law school, but if you want to get into a good one, you need a great GPA and you need to ace your LSATs. harvard will take a BTL with a great LSAT score, and columbia is warming up to them. not sure about other schools. the problem is that you will definitely struggle in school if you don't have a basic education. you can still succeed if you're smart, but i really can't recommend a good education strongly enough. you need excellent reading and writing skills, and basic finance/economics/business classes will be helpful. with law, you want to get into the best school possible, because the job market is tough. getting a BTL and getting into an average law school might get you a job, but not at a NY firm that pays market. so it depends what you're aiming for.

with medical and dental school, the job market isn't as scary, but it's much harder to get in. a BTL will put you at a severe disadvantage. that's not to say you won't get in, but it's not a risk you should take. you need a strong science background to get admitted, and you'll need that education to do well once you're in classes.

when you're applying to any graduate school, you want an honest resume that's padded with leadership positions (in clubs or off-campus) and extracurriculars (hobbies, volunteering)

you need to think about what you and your son want, and speak to friends and family who have done things like this.

best of luck.

Online ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 09:42:42 PM »

with medical and dental school, the job market isn't as scary, but it's much harder to get in. a BTL will put you at a severe disadvantage. that's not to say you won't get in, but it's not a risk you should take. you need a strong science background to get admitted, and you'll need that education to do well once you're in classes.

when you're applying to any graduate school, you want an honest resume that's padded with leadership positions (in clubs or off-campus) and extracurriculars (hobbies, volunteering)

you need to think about what you and your son want, and speak to friends and family who have done things like this.

best of luck.

Dental schools barely look at BA degrees. I would highly recommend a BS. Nowadays it's not uncommon for people to go for a masters first. A common one is public health. It's not necessary but it does indicate the competitiveness.

My brother went to NYU law 10+ years ago and they didn't recognize a BTL. Maybe it's changed since then.

Offline shmebeble

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 09:51:28 PM »
Dental schools barely look at BA degrees. I would highly recommend a BS. Nowadays it's not uncommon for people to go for a masters first. A common one is public health. It's not necessary but it does indicate the competitiveness.

My brother went to NYU law 10+ years ago and they didn't recognize a BTL. Maybe it's changed since then.
As a current dental student, I can tell you firsthand that schools appreciate BAs if you have strong science prereqs. It makes you stand out from all the BSs, and a good 20-25% of my class has BAs.
I agree a good undergrad is important especially with the increased competitiveness of grad schools. Save yourself the cost of a Masters, and just get a good undergrad degree. A lot can change in 10 years.
What do your sons ultimately want to do?

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 09:55:57 PM »

Was wondering how long it would take to get to this important question.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 10:04:35 PM »
As a current dental student, I can tell you firsthand that schools appreciate BAs if you have strong science prereqs. It makes you stand out from all the BSs, and a good 20-25% of my class has BAs.
I agree a good undergrad is important especially with the increased competitiveness of grad schools. Save yourself the cost of a Masters, and just get a good undergrad degree. A lot can change in 10 years.

interesting. must be all that new talk about "diversity"  ;D

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 10:28:11 PM »

im in an ivy league grad school and come from a family of ivy leaguers
You sure talk like it...