Author Topic: Israel & Bali: around the world in 17 days  (Read 6883 times)

Online Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Israel & Bali: around the world in 17 days
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 12:02:31 AM »
Sunday: Ritzalia

Sunday morning after shachris our host told me he was going to kollel to learn and that I could just go back to their house. I got there to find the place very quiet as everyone was sleeping. I had breakfast.

Eventually their girls work up and went about their day, and DW and DD got up as well. With no one home, we packed up and headed out, our first stop being Yesh supermarket in Har Nof. We stocked up on some snacks and some instant soups for the Bali part of our trip. We were almost ready to go back to the car when DW saw a woman selling head coverings for a fraction of the price they charge in the US, so she got some.

All stocked up and ready to go, we got back in the car and drove to the Ritz in Hertzalia. We arrived a bit early, around 2:15 pm, and unfortunately our room was not ready. We were told we could spend some time in the vicinity and check in at 3:00 pm.

We went to the mall below the hotel and went to the supermarket for food for lunch. We at in the food court before walking around the mall for a bit. We even walked around outside for a bit before the heat got to us and we went back inside. By this point it was 3:00 pm and time to check in. Or so we thought.

Eating in the mall

Supermarket in the mall

Outside of the Ritz

DW and DD went to the lobby while I moved the car to the hotelís parking lot. I wanted to check in but the associate said our room was still not ready. They said we could go to the roof bar and pool and relax there with free drinks courtesy of the hotel. We did exactly that.

View from the roof

Main pool

After DD splashed around in the kids pool for a bit and we were sipping our nice cool drinks, we were told our room was ready, around 3:30 pm.

Kids Pool. Does anyone know the couple in the lounge chairs?

We went straight to the room, and what do you know, they set up for my birthday! I had told them that it was my birthday before I arrived, but I didnít think even for a second that they were setting up anything (more along the lines at the Waldorf, but more on that later).

They decorated the bed, sent up a few desserts with the words ďMazal TovĒ written on it, had a bunch of balloons tied nearby and gave me a card. This is more than I could have asked for and it was very much appreciated.

My birthday surprise

After settling in to the room, it was time to drive to Benei Brak to visit another family friend.

Views of the room:

There was little traffic on the way there, and we were outside their apartment in less than 30 minutes.

We visited with them for a while and had dinner at their suggestion two doors down at a small, heimish place. I know Benei Brak isnít known for their restaurants, but this place was especially heimish. My wife loved it, while I thought the food was ok, but the guy working there was just a riot!

Our food at the restaurant, Misadat Muchan UíMezuman

After dinner we drove back to the hotel just in time for sunset and went to bed. We all slept very well.

Online Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 12:04:48 AM »
Monday: Rosh HaNikra, and an Arab Carnival in Acco

I personally had been waiting for the breakfast at the Ritz for a long time. Iíd heard so many good things about it, and to sum it up: itís totally worth it! We got down to breakfast around 9:30am after davening in the hotel room.

The restaurant was a bit crowded, but we got a table pretty quickly. I spoke to the maÓtre dí to confirm our 25% off (I had asked the hotel if they could waive the fee for breakfast on account of not having the room ready on time, but they said they could only do 25% off) which he did.

Breafast at the Ritz:

We spent the first few minutes looking at the food before ordering some fresh-squeezed orange juice form the waiter and taking food from the buffet. After eating all we could from the buffet, my wife asked for take-out containers to be able to fill as well, which she was eventually given. We filled them with even more food for lunch and were out of there by 10:30am.

We packed up our stuff and had the hotel take everything down to the car for us. Our stay was indeed excellent.

Our first stop for the day was Rosh HaNikra. We drove up along highway 4 through Haifa. The Haifa section of the highway was a bit crowded, but I didnít want to pay the toll to go around. We got to Rosh HaNikra around 1pm.

The first thing we noticed after waiting in line for tickets, was the amount of very nicely dressed Arabs that were there. It was the first day of Eid, and they were all out in their Yom Tov clothes. We went down to the grottos and walked around. It was quite hot, so it was quite a relief when we got in the shade at the beginning and a real bummer when we finished up. We relaxed at the bottom for a few minutes before going back to the car to eat lunch.

The Grottos:

Official Boarder fence:

After a relaxing lunch in the car we headed to Acco. When I got to the parking lot we were going to use it was jammed. In fact, the police had blocked off the entrance to Acco right near the Weitzman and David Pinkas Street. That should have been a hint that it was crowded, but we didnít stop and went to look for parking. The lot we chose was jammed, and nearly everyone was Muslim which I didnít realize. After waiting there for 10-15 minutes squeezing in around all the cars to try to find a spot, we gave up and went down the block to the lot right before Yehoshafat St. We pulled in, were told weíd have to wait, waited about 5 minutes and left, deciding just to leave for the day.

My only picture of Acco: the walls of the city

It was a bit disappointing, but DD was getting anxious so back down Weitzman it was. Just as we were no more than 2 blocks away we saw a car pulling out and pulled in. We walked down Weitzman to town, and the close we got the more we noticed that we were the only Jews around. No, it wasnít scary, but it was something to notice. The closer we got to Acco the louder the Muslim music became and the clearer the street party for Eid appeared. After walking just one block in to the party, DW decided that we were not going to go any further.

Sadly, we turned around at that point and walked to the Gan HaMetsuda Festival Gardens so that I could use the bathroom. While I found the bathroom all right, they wanted 3 shekels to use them, so I turned around and went to the ticket booth. I was schmoozing with the lady there for a bit about being a Jew during Eid (she was not a fan to say the least), and she eventually gave me a pass to use the restroom for free.

We quickly got back to our car and headed to our hotel, the Elma Arts Complex, in Zichron Yaakov.

Elma Arts Complex Hotel

Our Room

After checking in at the hotel, we headed out to dinner at the one kosher place in town right on the Midrachov.

Misadat Nili

Our food

Dinner was really good and quick. After dinner, I went to daven Mincha down the block at the shul, while DW and DD walked around.

Midrachov at sunset

Cong. Ohel Yaakov, Zichron

It was quite nice being out there around sunset time, but alas it was time for DDs bedtime. We headed back to the hotel for our first night in Zichron.

Offline 3yummyboys

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 06:42:04 AM »
I love how there were about triple the photos of breakfast at the ritz than the actual hotel!

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 07:12:23 AM »
I love how there were about triple the photos of breakfast at the ritz than the actual hotel!

Taking pictures of the important stuff.

Online Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 08:58:59 AM »
I only really started taking more hotel pics at the Ritz, but breakfast is important .

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 02:51:01 PM »
Great new segments! Rosh Hanikra looks really cool - on my list for a future trip. Keep 'em coming!

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 03:01:52 PM »
Note to everyone. This is how you do a TR.

Online Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 11:46:10 PM »
Great new segments! Rosh Hanikra looks really cool - on my list for a future trip. Keep 'em coming!
Thanks!

Note to everyone. This is how you do a TR.
Aww, thank you!

Online Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 11:48:38 PM »
Tzfat and Caesarea

While Tuesday was our only full day in Zichron, and we decided to visit my cousin in Tzfat. We started the day with breakfast in the hotelís restaurant. While most rooms have breakfast included, when booking with SPG points (as a Gold member) you do not get a free breakfast. I spoke with the mashgiach before our trip to confirm the kashrus of the food and he said basically everything was kosher.

Pictures of breakfast at the Elma:

We had breakfast from the buffet, though I was a tad disappointed having just been at the Ritzís breakfast. We got ready to go and were in the car by 11:30 am.

We arrived at my cousinís house in Tzfat at around 1:00 pm. Both DW and DD slept in the car on the way there.  Apparently, my cousin and her husband normally have a late start to their day, as they were just finishing up breakfast when we came. After schmoozing at her house for a while we eventually headed out to a rather late lunch at around 3:00 pm.

My cousin and her husband decided to join us for the day, while her kids were all busy. My cousinís husband drove us to the center of town, parked and we all walked down to a restaurant. The main street was quite deserted, as it was Tuesday and besides for the big cities, Tuesdays are a quasi-weekend with many people off and businesses closed. We eventually got to the restaurant, and my wife and I ate lunch (my cousin and her husband just got a coffee and a pastry).

Tzfat

Lunch in Tzfat:

After lunch, we decided to walk around the old town which was thankfully covered. We walked around there, my wife bought a necklace, and we met a friend of my cousin in one of the (open) shops. From there we decided to walk back most of the way while my cousinís husband went to get the car. We ended up at a nice park for 10 minutes before he showed up and we went back to their house.

Park we were at

We picked up our car here, said our goodbyes and drove back to Zichron. Because of our very late lunch we werenít hungry for dinner so we just put DD to sleep and went to bed.

Wednesday started almost the same as Tuesday. We went to the breakfast buffet (for a charge), played at the pool for a bit, and left the hotel at around 11:30 am.

Pool in the Elma

After stopping for gas, we went straight to Caesarea, a 15-minute drive away. When we arrived, there were loads of spots in the parking lot and basically no line to get in. When we got to the front of the line to pay I told the woman weíd like a pass for everything. She printed our tickets and we were in.

I brought the baby carrier and was carrying our daughter around everywhere. We walked around the area when my wife saw a sign for a movie. We walked there only to find our tickets didnít in fact cover everything and it would be an extra fee to see the 10-minute movie. Despite the fact that the room was air conditioned, we decided to skip the movie and head to the famous Amphitheater.

Some random picutes of Caesarea:

When we got to the ticket check spot we showed our tickets and were told we needed our receipt as well. After showing that we went in. We walked to the amphitheater and looked around a bit before heading back along the water. We didnít mind one bit walking in the ďsplash zoneĒ along the water, as it was quite hot out.

More PicturesÖ

By the time we got back to the walls heading out of that area, my wife wanted to go back to the movie since we had our receipt and apparently it was good (both the movie and the amphitheater section cost extra). We were told once again that our tickets didnít include the movie and in the words on the person there, ďI donít know how you got in if you didnít pay.Ē

We were enjoying sitting in front of the air conditioning, me taking a break from carrying DD and DW just cooling off, when a large group of Americans walked in and DD went straight for them. After entertaining the group for a bit, and us just sitting there pathetically not going in, the woman working there decided to let us just go in anyway.

Itís a good thing we didnít end up paying. After about 2 minutes of sitting in the video, DD decided she didnít like the dark and started whining. Out we went. I offered DW to sit in the rest of the movie about the area, but she didnít want to, preferring to just go.

We walked out, ate lunch in the car, and were off to Yerushalayim by 1:45 pm. When we arrived in Yerushalayim around 3:00pm, after DW and DD had slept in the car, we first went to the street they named after my wifeís Yerushalmi great-great-grandfather. We filled up the car and drove to the hotel, the Waldorf Astoria.

After dropping DW and DD off at the hotel, I went around the block to return the car. While I first found the car rental office to return the vehicle, they told me that this was not the spot you return cars. I started following the guyís directions, but after a short while of realizing they were leading nowhere, I went back to the office to ask where to return the car.

Turns out I was going to the wrong area. The correct area to return the car was in an underground parking lot a few blocks away. Once in there were loads of signs for the rental return, and I eventually found it and returned the car.

After a short walk back to the WA, we were off to our room.

Iíll let the pictures speak for themselves:

Once we were settled in we decided to go out for dinner at Luciana Restaurant in the Mamilla mall. We had a bit of trouble finding it exactly (you enter an indoor part of the mall right near Fox), but we eventually made it upstairs to Luciana. While the restaurant definitely wasnít cheap (it was the most expensive meal we had in Israel!), the food was absolutely fantastic!! I was literally making sure every last piece of food we got was consumed it was that good.

Dinner at Luciana:

Inside of the restaurant

After dinner, we walked back to the hotel and got ready for bed. DW took a nice, relaxing bath after DD was asleep while I was on my computer for a bit, and then we went to bed.

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
  • Administrator
  • Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
  • Programs: Photoshop
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 12:19:07 AM »
Amazing TR. Thanks for putting the effort in.

Following intently.
DDMS Built with ♥ by SWIZU

Offline ar

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 12:24:31 AM »
Same here, great TR. Thanks!

Online Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 12:35:09 AM »
Amazing TR. Thanks for putting the effort in.

Following intently.
Same here, great TR. Thanks!
You're welcome, guys!

Offline 12HRS

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 12:39:33 AM »
Your making my trip in a month so much easier!

Did they upgrade you at the waldorf? Kid slept in a crib?

Online Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 12:40:41 AM »
Your making my trip in a month so much easier!

Did they upgrade you at the waldorf? Kid slept in a crib?
I'm glad I can help. Yes and yes.

Offline 12HRS

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 12:46:15 AM »
I'm glad I can help. Yes and yes.

What room was that I assume the junior suite?