Author Topic: How to go on vacation without children  (Read 12707 times)

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: How to go on vacation without children
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 02:06:39 PM »
Think like a yid! You are left with the same bill, only for less product. :P

Depends what you think the product is and what you think the price is.

From my perspective, the product is conforming to the social pressure and giving kids a social circle (to in turn pressure them...).  The price is the poor education.

So I'm actually getting the same product for less price.

Offline Yammer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 02:09:45 PM »
I am paying a relative to move in. It's $$$ but this way everyone stays on their schedules. We leave suppers for the week prepped to go in the oven (unless it's something like macaroni).

+1 up until here.

We prepare each day's clothing for each kid in a labeled ziploc bag. The biggest thing is of course making sure that whoever is moving in is capable of managing your children and house.

If I trust the person and their capabilities I don't think it's  necessary.

Offline Yammer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 02:15:01 PM »
+1. I don't plan on asking permission to take my kids out of school.  I (and my kids) are customers. I can decide to take more or less of the product.
While not trying to hijack the thread, it's understandable that a school needs rules to ensure its and the students success.

I never had an Issue with taking my kids on a family trip for a few days, but I can understand a school objections if FE 60% of the kids decide to go that week.

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2017, 02:19:27 PM »
Depends what you think the product is and what you think the price is.

From my perspective, the product is conforming to the social pressure and giving kids a social circle (to in turn pressure them...).  The price is the poor education.

So I'm actually getting the same product for less price.
So where does the $$$ fit into this equation?

Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 02:22:50 PM »
So where does the $$$ fit into this equation?

A sunk cost of being frum
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 02:26:01 PM by henche »

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2017, 02:24:09 PM »
While not trying to hijack the thread, it's understandable that a school needs rules to ensure its and the students success.

I never had an Issue with taking my kids on a family trip for a few days, but I can understand a school objections if FE 60% of the kids decide to go that week.

If 60 percent of the customers want vacation that week,  remind me why the school doesn't have vacation?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 02:28:21 PM »

I don't think it's very understandable. Not different from any situation where families have different rules for their kids.

Except if schools are maliciously inserting themselves as a party apart from the parents.  Which would outrageous and common.

Offline Saulius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 03:14:19 PM »
As the parent you have every right to take them out of school whenever you want to.
So long as they don't miss any "major" trips. :)

I just want to share that in some countries it's very strict, that one is not allowed to take their kids out of school. I read about a case, where a family wanted to travel for a few days, because of a terminally ill family member in a different country - and still, their request was denied. 

E.g. in Switzerland, a family left for vacation a day prior to the school holidays and got fined 4,000 Swiss Francs (Article in German: http://blog.tagesanzeiger.ch/mamablog/index.php/19523/4000-franken-busse-fur-einen-tag-schwanzen/ )

Many other European countries are also quite strict, and the fines are imposed by the government.

Anyways, I think it might be detrimental for a child to be taken out of school to go on holiday, as that would teach the child that school is not important.

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 03:37:08 PM »
I don't think it's very understandable. Not different from any situation where families have different rules for their kids.

Except if schools are maliciously inserting themselves as a party apart from the parents.  Which would outrageous and common.

You're overlooking the bullying aspect. The threat is not that they kick out your kid, the threat is that the administration and/or teachers label your kid (and you). From then on, everything that goes wrong is because you as the parent prioritized vacations over school. Stuff like, "How do you expect the boy to think about gemara after what he's seen on a beach in Miami?", and "If they cared about the kid succeeding academically they would only take vacation when school is out" - both of which (and more) I've heard repeatedly (not to mention all the snide comments about how much someone who can afford vacations should be giving to teachers in tips, to the school in journal ads, etc etc). I admit, these stupid reactions are going to be limited to just the bitter, jealous, sad people, but such people exist. And it's very emotionally damaging to kids to be written off in their teacher's mind even if they can pull through academically in spite of that.

You are indeed a paying customer, but they are monopolists, so who really has the power in that relationship? Sure you might  have other choices if you happen to live in one of a few communities, but how many of those choices in your area actually offer the same product (hashkafa, academics, etc)? They've got you over a barrel, its not the other way around.
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2017, 03:37:30 PM »
I just want to share that in some countries it's very strict, that one is not allowed to take their kids out of school. I read about a case, where a family wanted to travel for a few days, because of a terminally ill family member in a different country - and still, their request was denied. 

E.g. in Switzerland, a family left for vacation a day prior to the school holidays and got fined 4,000 Swiss Francs (Article in German: http://blog.tagesanzeiger.ch/mamablog/index.php/19523/4000-franken-busse-fur-einen-tag-schwanzen/ )

Many other European countries are also quite strict, and the fines are imposed by the government.

Anyways, I think it might be detrimental for a child to be taken out of school to go on holiday, as that would teach the child that school is not important.
Do you need to get permission from a court if the kid wakes up not feeling well ?

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2017, 03:38:36 PM »
If 60 percent of the customers want vacation that week,  remind me why the school doesn't have vacation?

If 100% of the customers want the school to be open when there is half an inch of snow on the ground, but the teachers say they aren't babysitters, why does the school close? See above.
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2017, 03:51:08 PM »
As the parent you have every right to take them out of school whenever you want to.
So long as they don't miss any "major" trips. :)

+1. I don't plan on asking permission to take my kids out of school.  I (and my kids) are customers. I can decide to take more or less of the product.
Not if you signed otherwise.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2017, 03:56:34 PM »
Not if you signed otherwise.
How common is that ?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2017, 03:58:04 PM »

Europe also decides when to kill your children, so there's not much proof coming from that continent.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2017, 03:58:24 PM »
How common is that ?
I would say very. Usually says it in the contract.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2017, 04:01:40 PM »
I would say very. Usually says it in the contract.
And you've heard of them taking any action for it ?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2017, 04:03:41 PM »
Europe also decides when to kill your children, so there's not much proof coming from that continent.

And also murdered our grandparent and their children.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2017, 04:04:33 PM »
And also murdered our grandparent and their children.
Ein chadash tachas hashemesh
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2017, 04:04:46 PM »
And you've heard of them taking any action for it ?
The lack of a punishment doesn't make something right.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2017, 04:08:14 PM »
for a 5 year old?

Obviously when they're older and missing something important I would agree, (not a general rule, not an absolute) but I believe this thread is (primarily) talking about kindergarten age children.