Author Topic: Two Days And Two Hikes In Stavanger  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Aspen325

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Two Days And Two Hikes In Stavanger
« on: July 20, 2017, 02:13:40 PM »
First time doing this....

I couldn't find anyone else who did the preikestolen and kjeragbolten. They were both breathtaking but very challenging.

Offline mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Two Days And Two Hikes In Stavanger
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 04:37:09 PM »
Is this ALL we get?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 10:39:18 AM »
Pics? Impressions? Timeline? Transportation? Costs? Planning?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Aspen325

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 12:33:17 AM »
This whole stavanger idea started when me and my wife were deciding were to stopover on the way back from isreal. We weren't sure if we wanted to go to Barcelona and Mallorca or Norway. I appreciate the outdoors and have read up on many of the hikes that they have in Norway. I was a little nervous about choosing Norway since when we were going (in middle of July) and for most of the summer the weather is very unpredictable. With all this in mind we to the risk and booked flights. Apparently there are three main hikes there.
1 Trolltunga
2 Preikestolen
3 Kjeragbolten
Originally I wanted to accomplish all of these hikes but I had a limited amount of days. I basically had four days I was able to play around with. I quickly realized that I wasn't going to be able to pull off all three  hikes in that amount of time since one day I would have to be in Oslo for my flight back to the USA. So we decided not to do trolltunga hike since that is based out of odda Wich is near Bergen. Instead we flew to Stavanger were could knock off two of the hikes. We landed in Stavanger at 1 pm. I heard that taxis are a fortune in Norway and I got a very good rate for a rental car through Avis. After checking into our hotel in downtown Stavanger (The Radisson Blu) we went straight to the car ferry  for the hour ride to Preikestolen. Needless to say we  were quite tired after just getting of the flight a few hours ago but we forged on. We were told by a few people that this hike was a intermediate hike and that it would be easy to accomplish. It wasn't though and was quite challenging. We started the hike at around 3:00. The good thing about Norway is that it doesn't get dark till 1145 (this time of the year) so we were able to take our time throughout the hike. We ended up finishing the hike at 9:00 around 6 hours round trip. The view off Preikestolen is hard to describe it's definitely one of the nicest views I've seen and was well worth the hike. After the hike we caught a ferry back to Stavanger and got back to our hotel at 1.
The next morning, also a clear sunny day we looked up the second hike we wanted to do online the reviews on the hike were that it's challenging but not that bad. So we went out to find some kosher food. There wasn't much in a local 711 ( besides Hagan Daz Ice cream) there was a Starbucks next door Wich was a nice way to start our day. After this we headed on the 3 hour drive to kjerag. We saw gorgeous scenery the whole way. We did run into a road or two that was closed and had to go on a long detour. We finally made it to "Basecamp". The mountain in front of us Wich is one of 3 that you have to climb up and down looked really intimidating. Anyways we started the hike Wich turned out to be harder then I imagined. They have metal chains throughout the entire hike Wich you have to use to propel your body up the mountain. We took this hike even slower. At the end of this hike there is a rock called kjeragbolten  held in place between two cliffs 3000 feet over the fjord. People go on to the rock to take pictures. I didn't realise how scary it would be. We basically crawled onto the rock and stood up slowly. My heart was beating wildly as I looked down at the sheer drop. Anyways after finishing with the pictures on the rock we trudged through the thick snow ( yes snow the last part of the hike was through snow even in July) and made it down to base camp at around 10:00. The whole hike took us around 9 hours round trip. After the drive back to Stavanger ( hardly speeding since there's a ton of speed cameras in Norway) we got back to the hotel at 2.
The next day we felt the soreness from the hikes. But that wasn't so bad since we had a short domestic flight to Oslo. In Oslo there are a few interesting gardens. We went around a little but had to be back in the airport for our 7 pm flight. All in all I would say the hikes are challenging but we'll worth it. Just be careful how expensive everything there is, a bottle of coke was 5 dollars!

Offline Aspen325

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 12:36:50 AM »
Is this ALL we get?
Hope that's better

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 01:22:20 AM »
Hope that's better

Definitely better. Thanks and Liked!

Please please please post pics (theres a sticky at the top of the Trip Report forum with instructions for posting pics).

Was it worth the money and effort? What would you do differently knowing what you know now?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Aspen325

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 09:46:52 AM »
Definitely better. Thanks and Liked!

Please please please post pics (theres a sticky at the top of the Trip Report forum with instructions for posting pics).

Was it worth the money and effort? What would you do differently knowing what you know now?
Was definitely worth the money and effort. What I regret not doing us fitting in the last hike. I would have needed another day or so. I figured out after that trolltunga is around a 5 hour drive from from stavanger as well. In hindsight I should have done a one way rental and flown out of Bergen after finishing the hike. I think trolltunga is the longest hike but kjeragbolten is known to be more challenging. Another thing I would strongly recommend is hiking boots. We did it in sneakers and it was a little scary. I guess we were a little under prepared. But for the views at the end of the hike every step was worth it.

Offline Aspen325

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 02:31:47 PM »

Preikestolen

Offline tageed-lee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 73
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 02:42:05 PM »

Wow! Breathtaking! Keep the pics coming! (Please)  ;D

Offline Aspen325

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 10:46:36 PM »

Kjeragbolten

Offline Aspen325

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 10:47:18 PM »

Veiw off Preikestolen

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 11:43:25 PM »
Wow thanks for the effort

Offline Aspen325

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 05:57:20 PM »

Drone footage

Offline Proisrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 06:49:43 AM »
Wow my heart dropped just looking at these! Those are crazy pics!

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 11:19:13 AM »
Breathtaking gorgeous!

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 11:31:02 AM »

Preikestolen
now i finally know what breathtaking is.  i actually lost my breath and almost lost my balance!  amazing!
#TYH

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 12:26:28 PM »
now i finally know what breathtaking is.  i actually lost my breath and almost lost my balance!  amazing!
Norway is an amazing country,have been to Oslo, Trondheim,Bergen and Alesund and Lillehammer, will go to Stavanger ,Bodo and Tromso on next trip. Although I doubt ill climb up there :)
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.