Author Topic: A Car from a rental place which got a small damage what can be done?  (Read 3227 times)

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
There's a friend of mine who took out a car from one of the haimeshe rental places and made him pay a $500 deposit besides for the $250 rental which he paid cash for instead of using a credit card, so while driving the car in slow moving traffic on the highway another guy must have dosed off and tapped him in the back of his car making a small little nick or two and chip the paint on the hood(trunk) of his rented car, so he got out and tried to communicate with the guy but being that  it was erev shabbos not much time to waist he had no choice but to ask him for cash (but of course there was none to be found) so while this guy hardly spoke English they managed to get his insurance card and a picture of his license which they would hope can help them out later.

Now when he returned the rental place, they wouldn't give him back the $500 deposit till something is figured out,  hoping someone would have an idea for this friend of mine?

Thanks in advance.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
There's a friend of mine who took out a car from one of the haimeshe rental places and made him pay a $500 deposit besides for the $250 rental which he paid cash for instead of using a credit card, so while driving the car in slow moving traffic on the highway another guy must have dosed off and tapped him in the back of his car making a small little nick or two and chip the paint on the hood(trunk) of his rented car, so he got out and tried to communicate with the guy but being that  it was erev shabbos not much time to waist he had no choice but to ask him for cash (but of course there was none to be found) so while this guy hardly spoke English they managed to get his insurance card and a picture of his license which they would hope can help them out later.

Now when he returned the rental place, they wouldn't give him back the $500 deposit till something is figured out,  hoping someone would have an idea for this friend of mine?

Thanks in advance.
File a claim with the insurance.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline myi

• View Profile
File a claim with the insurance.
it can be done without having the actual guy there? As long as he has all this guy's info?
 Will tell him to try that, thanks.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline as2

• View Profile
it can be done without having the actual guy there? As long as he has all this guy's info?
 Will tell him to try that, thanks.
Why not? A police report should have been filed, but a claim can be filed, and if the guys insurance thinks they have a case they'll fight it.

Offline chbochur

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
My two cents just pay it out of pocket, not worth having an accident on your report for a little dent and some paint

Offline myi

• View Profile
Why not? A police report should have been filed, but a claim can be filed, and if the guys insurance thinks they have a case they'll fight it.
for this small dent there's a chance it will effect his insurance rates?
(or when calling the insurance company he should make sure that he has a cc on file with the rental company for insurance? )

Offline myi

• View Profile
My two cents just pay it out of pocket, not worth having an accident on your report for a little dent and some paint
From the pictures he showed me it's a tiny little nick or two on a white car which makes it noticeable and all he needs is a touch up or to repaint the trunk of the small car.

Offline hide4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Isn't there such a thing that it doesn't report if it's less than a $1,000 claim??

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
From the pictures he showed me it's a tiny little nick or two on a white car which makes it noticeable and all he needs is a touch up or to repaint the trunk of the small car.
In that case he can probably either touch it up himself or have someone do it for fairly cheap, it shouldn't cost $500 and it's probably not worth going through insurance.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline as2

• View Profile
I'll agree with those above, he should just pay it out of pocket. If he can get ahold of the guy who hit him, he should try to squeeze him for some cash, but I wouldn't count on it.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
In the case of a 'rear end' accident, the one who hit the rear send is held completely responsible.
The injured car can file a claim directly with the offending caar's insurance. It will not jk on the injured car's insurance record.
The insurance company will get ahold of their insured driver to ask him his side of the story. Because in this case there is no police report or any other independent corroboration, if the driver disagrees with the injured cars story, the insurance may hint oay out. 
Because of the time delay in going the insurance route and because it sounds like a minor expense , if your friend still has he car,  he should probably just eat the cost of the repair. .
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline myi

• View Profile
If he manages to get a police report will that help to file a claim with the credit card company?

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
If he manages to get a police report will that help to file a claim with the credit card company?
A police report can be filed by the police who show up at the scene or later (up to ? days) by the individual.  If it's later, he gets the form on line and mails it in. I don't know what strength it has because it's only one side of the story.

Offline myi

• View Profile
A police report can be filed by the police who show up at the scene or later (up to ? days) by the individual.  If it's later, he gets the form on line and mails it in. I don't know what strength it has because it's only one side of the story.
And if I say for instance I have my rental car parked in front of my house and while someone was trying to park he nicked my rental car, so now when I make a police report that someone by accident  dented my rental car I won't be able to do anything with the police report and file a claim with my cc?

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
And if I say for instance I have my rental car parked in front of my house and while someone was trying to park he nicked my rental car, so now when I make a police report that someone by accident  dented my rental car I won't be able to do anything with the police report and file a claim with my cc?
Since cc insurance doesn't seem to care about fault, it will probably pay with such a police report.  Car insurance wants to recoup its losses by going after a different insurance company if it can and hiking rates on the customer that lost them money.

Offline myi

• View Profile
Since cc insurance doesn't seem to care about fault, it will probably pay with such a police report.  Car insurance wants to recoup its losses by going after a different insurance company if it can and hiking rates on the customer that lost them money.
So it seems best option here would be a police report and cc insurance.

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
So it seems best option here would be a police report and cc insurance.
Assuming the CC he paid with is primary or he doesn't have car insurance in his own name.

Offline myi

• View Profile
Assuming the CC he paid with is primary or he doesn't have car insurance in his own name.
What do you mean by that?

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
What do you mean by that?
If he has his own car insurance policy, most cc's won't cover him, because it's only secondary coverage.

Offline myi

• View Profile
If he has his own car insurance policy, most cc's won't cover him.
So what good is a cc which has insurance ? when your driving (meaning whether you own a car or not) chances are that you have your own insurance? 
When does the cc insurance ever work for one who has his own personal insurance?