Author Topic: Can One Wash Their Kids Clothing Who Came Home From Sleepaway Camp? (Details 👇)  (Read 1064 times)

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
Posting separately vs posting in the halacha thread for those who usually don't follow the halacha thread.

OU Kosher Halacha Yomis
This column is dedicated in memory of:
Rav Chaim Yisroel ben Reb Dov HaLevi Belsky, zt'l
Senior OU Kosher Halachic Consultant from 1987-2016

Q. I am picking up my Bar Mitzvah boy from camp during the Nine Days. All of his clothing is in need of washing, otherwise he'll have nothing clean to wear. Under the circumstances may I wash his clothing during the Nine Days? (A Subscriber’s Question) 

A. Rama (OC 551:3) tells us that the Ashkenazi minhag is not to launder clothing during the Nine Days. However, the Mishna Berura (ibid. 29) in the name of the Eliyah Rabah (ibid., Shaar Hatziyun 33) rules that if one has only one garment, or many garments which all require cleaning (see Piskei Teshuvos Vol. 6 p. 80:21), it is permitted to wash and do the laundry up until the week in which Tisha B’Av falls.

In a case that one is permitted to do laundry, you may wash whatever clothing you will need for the duration of the Nine Days. In the past, one was only allowed to wash one garment at a time, as needed. But in our generation, when the push of a button can wash an entire load, this restriction does not apply (see Shu”t Minchas Yitzchok 8:50, Shu”t Yabia Omer 7:48 and Shu”t Be’er Moshe 7:32). However, one is not allowed to add clothing needed for after the Nine Days (Piskei Halachos ibid. end of 21).

More about this program and to subscribe visit https://oukosher.org/halacha-yomis-email/

View archive on https://oukosher.org/halacha-yomis/

Subscriber comments related to this mailing and questions regarding Kashrus issues can be sent to GerstenE@ou.org. These questions and their answers may be selected to become one of the Q and A’s on OU Kosher Halacha Yomis.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
Connected to the previous one ...

OU Kosher Halacha Yomis
This column is dedicated in memory of:
Rav Chaim Yisroel ben Reb Dov HaLevi Belsky, zt'l
Senior OU Kosher Halachic Consultant from 1987-2016
Q. I am visiting my parents over the Nine Days. I have a very large family of my own. Do I have to schlep changes of clothing for my whole family for the entire Nine Days or can I rely in advance on the permit mentioned in a previous Halacha Yomis, namely, that if I run out of clean clothing I am allowed to clean my clothing up until the week in which Tisha B’Av falls?
A. There is a difference of opinion about this question among the great poskim of the past generation. Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach, zt”l and Rav Elyashiv, zt”l both were of the opinion that every family member should take a set of clean clothing which will last them the entire Nine Days, so that it will not be necessary to do any laundry during the Nine Days (cited by Nitei Gavriel, Bein HaMetzarim, 16:8). On the other hand Rav Moshe Feinstein, zt”l was lenient and ruled that the family only needs to take along what they would normally take on such a trip. If they run out of clean clothing, they can rely on the permit of one who does not have sufficient clothing to last him until the end of the Nine Days who is allowed to clean necessary clothing before the week in which Tisha B’Av falls (Sefer Chol HaMoed K’Hilchoso 85:23).

If one does not own enough changes of clothing to last the entire Nine Days, Rav Moshe, zt”l (Piskei Teshuvos 534:2, citing Kuntres Hilchos Chol HaMoed se’if 7) writes that it is pashut (obviously true) that he is not required to purchase new clothing before Rosh Chodesh Av even if he can easily afford it and that if he runs out of clean clothing during the Nine Days he can rely on the above permit.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501