Author Topic: Normandy France TR  (Read 2722 times)

Offline lindnuck

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Normandy France TR
« on: August 07, 2017, 05:18:33 PM »
i am interested. looking to go soon.

Ok, so I’ll recap a bit our 3 days in Normandy.
On Day 1 we left from Paris. We had a little breakfast picnic on a bench at L'Etoile where we could watch the cars circle and admire the Arc and Eiffel Tower simultaneously.
After hiring a car nearby, and navigating out of Paris, it was off to our first stop in Giverny to see Monet's House and Garden. Using a tip we avoided a huge line and went to the group entrance because we had pre-paid tickets. The gardens were gorgeous and we enjoyed Monet's home as well, but the true highlight was the lovely town. We spent some time walking the streets before finding a spot for coffee. Before our trip my wife found a lovely hotel/restaurant named La Musardiere which was only a few hundred meters from Monet's House but somehow completely skipped by the hordes of tourists. We had the whole place to ourselves.
After that, we drive to Dauville, and after a stroll along the beach, on to our charming B&B in Ver-sur-Mer.
The key to the whole day was turning on the "avoid tolls" setting in Waze. Not only did we save money (not the point), but it caused us to take a lovely scenic route closer to the coastline. We drove through one little town after another, each unique and charming in its own way, even from the main thoroughfare. It gave us the taste of small town France that we were hoping to see.
It was quite a challenge to keep up with all the speed limit changes, as it would veer from 30km/hr to 90, then 50, now 70, back to 30, quick go to 90, etc.! Still, it was worth it.
Here are some pictures from the journey, including our room for the evening. Our host did not speak English, but I surprised myself with enough French to make a good introduction and to coordinate checkout for the next day.
The grounds were very pretty, and there is no noise other than the chirps of nature.
That evening, we toured the Mulberry bridges at Arromanches, as well as the quaint town. Despite being high season, it was not too crowded and was easy to navigate and find parking.

Day 2 to come, Omaha Beach and Le Mont St. Michel.

UPDATED Here are some pictures from Day 1: http://imgur.com/a/psjMT
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 11:10:52 AM by Dan »

Offline davidmal

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Paris Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 05:33:49 PM »
Ok, so I’ll recap a bit our 3 days in Normandy.
On Day 1 we left from Paris. We had a little breakfast picnic on a bench at L'Etoile where we could watch the cars circle and admire the Arc and Eiffel Tower simultaneously.
After hiring a car nearby, and navigating out of Paris, it was off to our first stop in Giverny to see Monet's House and Garden. Using a tip we avoided a huge line and went to the group entrance because we had pre-paid tickets. The gardens were gorgeous and we enjoyed Monet's home as well, but the true highlight was the lovely town. We spent some time walking the streets before finding a spot for coffee. Before our trip my wife found a lovely hotel/restaurant named La Musardiere which was only a few hundred meters from Monet's House but somehow completely skipped by the hordes of tourists. We had the whole place to ourselves.
After that, we drive to Dauville, and after a stroll along the beach, on to our charming B&B in Ver-sur-Mer.
The key to the whole day was turning on the "avoid tolls" setting in Waze. Not only did we save money (not the point), but it caused us to take a lovely scenic route closer to the coastline. We drove through one little town after another, each unique and charming in its own way, even from the main thoroughfare. It gave us the taste of small town France that we were hoping to see.
It was quite a challenge to keep up with all the speed limit changes, as it would veer from 30km/hr to 90, then 50, now 70, back to 30, quick go to 90, etc.! Still, it was worth it.
Here are some pictures from the journey, including our room for the evening. Our host did not speak English, but I surprised myself with enough French to make a good introduction and to coordinate checkout for the next day.
The grounds were very pretty, and there is no noise other than the chirps of nature.
That evening, we toured the Mulberry bridges at Arromanches, as well as the quaint town. Despite being high season, it was not too crowded and was easy to navigate and find parking.

Day 2 to come, Omaha Beach and Le Mont St. Michel.

WOW! sounds Lovely!!! Wheres the pics???
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline lindnuck

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 07:28:38 PM »
WOW! sounds Lovely!!! Wheres the pics???

I wanted to include pics but everytime I tried to attach them I had errors as they were "too big" even though they are not very large files. I guess the only workaround is to upload them to imgur or something and link to them?

Offline lindnuck

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 07:33:18 PM »
I wanted to include pics but everytime I tried to attach them I had errors as they were "too big" even though they are not very large files. I guess the only workaround is to upload them to imgur or something and link to them?

I figured it out and updated the post. Thanks!

Offline lindnuck

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 08:22:09 PM »
+1 curious as well.

Normandy Day 2: a wonderful but long day.
Unfortunately we could not savor our adorable B&B as we had to be up early for our Omaha Beach tour. We used Overlord Tours and booked a half day because we did not have time for the full day options.
The tour began in Bayeux, which we drove to and found parking fairly easily. The tour took us to the casemates at Longues-sur-Mer, Omaha Beach, the U.S. cemetery, and finally Pointe du Hoc. Our guide from Overlord Tours presented well and there were only two other people in the group so it was not overwhelming. A very interesting, emotional morning. Looking back I wish we had time to visit one of the D-Day museums in Caen or Arromanches. There was also a private museum near Pointe du Hoc that featured many tanks, jeeps, guns, and an Enigma machine, so it would have been nice to build in time for that in retrospect.
After lunch and walking the streets of Bayeux, we headed out to Mont St. Michel and arrived around 4pm. We chose to walk to the Mont, which took about 25 leisurely minutes to walk, rather than take the bus, and despite the clouds it was a beautiful view. We loved walking the ramparts but only arrived at the Abbey as it was closing. I don't think we realized it pauses admission for a couple hours in the evening so future visitors should beware!
All in all it was plenty enjoyable just to walk around the ramparts and take in the views. The more adventurous may want to walk in the mud flats during low tide, which seemed messy but fun.
My advice would be to stay in a hotel or B&B that is offsite from the Mont, as the hotels there are not that updated but charge a premium for the location. We stayed at a place called Hotel Gabriel which was functional and clean, with a great view of the Mont and had free parking. The price was right as well.
Some pics here http://imgur.com/a/sFdyp, and Day 3 recap coming up shortly.

Offline lindnuck

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 08:47:43 PM »
Normandy Day 3: a long day with some ups and downs (mostly ups!), but that is travel.
We woke up early to return to Mont St. Michel, hoping we would see it with the tide in, surrounded by water.
Unfortunately, the tide was out again, but this time at least the clouds had lifted and there was a beautiful blue sky to serve as a background for final pictures. After some last photos, and checking out of the hotel, it was off to Caen.
We arrived there in late morning, parked, and found our way to the center of town. We enjoyed walking up and down the main streets, and even were able to do a little shopping for our daughters. We also found a delicious bakery, with three lively and friendly ladies working behind the counter.
After that, it was back in the car, headed towards Honfleur. We did make time to drive through Trouville, which looked pretty and interesting, but there just wasn't time to stop!
By the time we arrived in Honfleur it was after 2pm and we wandered up and down the narrow cobblestone streets, did some shopping, and had coffee in a café by the harbor. Such a gorgeous city! I could see us going back there, if we have more time.
I almost forgot, we took a wrong turn at one point and ended up at Pegasus Bridge. We had to stop for ten minutes while the bridge was up to let a boat pass. I had read about this bridge and the role it played in the D-Day invasion, so it was a pretty cool outcome for our accidental detour!
So the day was going well up until then, but we needed to head towards our final destination, in Rouen. Things were uneventful, until we neared the outskirts of the city, and I started to look for somewhere to fill up the car with gas before we needed to return it.
Our first attempt was less than successful (an understatement!). We tried three different pumps, and each of them rejected our efforts. Eventually, the machine said that my credit card was locked and could not be used. Additionally, I had managed to step in a puddle of gasoline, and now I was slipping on the concrete and my shoes smelled horribly! I found a sympathetic driver, and using broken French managed to convince him to pay for us with his card in return for cash. But he had no success either! After wasting 30 to 40 minutes there, we left with no gas. A few miles up the road, we found another gas station that had an attendant, and were finally able to gas up. Frustrating, but such is life.
But the adventure continued. Up until this point, we had used Waze for navigation with success, but it could not find our hotel, repeatedly leading us down the streets that were only for pedestrians. Finally, we turned on Google Maps, and were able to find the entrance.
After dropping off my wife, I headed to the train station, where I needed to go to return the car. It was after hours, so I knew I was supposed to look for the car rental parking lot, and leave the key in the dropbox. Easier said than done! Upon entrance to the parking garage, the signs stated that the return was "Niveau - 2" and so I wound my way up to the second floor. Not finding any markings, I went up to the third-floor, down to the second floor, down to the first floor, back up to the second floor, and then parked in frustration. I tried calling the rental car company, and it took three different numbers before I found one where a human being would answer the phone. From there, I learned that this sign didn't say "Niveau DASH 2" but instead "MINUS 2". I realized that I was on +2!
I haven't mentioned yet, that the ramps that led from one floor to another were the most narrow that I've ever seen in my life! Driving up or down each of them at approximately 2 km/h, I felt close to scraping the walls at every moment, and my car's proximity sensors were beeping nonstop no matter how far left or right I steered. Luckily I was driving an automatic, as this would have been impossible to navigate with a manual drive!
Finally arriving on the correct level, I found an open spot, and carefully squeezed into the very narrow space. I only fit with the help of the backup camera and folding in the mirrors on both my car and the one next to me. There were about six inches on the right side and just enough on the left for me to squeeze out. After five minutes wandering around looking for the lock box, which nobody had ever instructed me as to its whereabouts, I realized that it was probably in the main terminal of the train station. Lo and behold I was right, and I found it after trekking across a bridge and through the terminal. Instead of arriving at our hotel around 6/630 as planned, it was 830 by the time we reached our room.
Luckily a wonderful room was waiting for us. We stayed at the Hotel De Bourgtheroulde which is far nicer than we probably would have chosen normally, but my friend has premier status with Marriott, and kindly offered to book our room so that we would receive a guaranteed upgrade and free breakfast. The room was gorgeous, huge, and very centrally located.
After a bite to eat, we finished our long day with a walk to the cathedral in the center of town, where there was an incredible (and free!) light show that started at 11 PM. These pictures and short video do not do it justice, but the animation and art were really spectacular, especially projected upon the beautiful Cathedral.
The next morning we caught a late morning train to Paris, and spent a lovely Shabbat there at the Victoire synagogue.

Pics from Day 3: http://imgur.com/a/a9rpu

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 12:54:58 AM »
I figured it out and updated the post. Thanks!
nice images. Thanks for sharing!
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 03:07:29 AM »

The next morning we caught a late morning train to Paris, and spent a lovely Shabbat there at the Victoire synagogue.
great report/pics and thanks! Where did u stay in paris? and were there taleisim in the Victoire Synagogue or you brought before shabbos (and they were open)?

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 11:07:02 AM »
-DMC

Offline lindnuck

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 12:04:08 PM »
great report/pics and thanks! Where did u stay in paris? and were there taleisim in the Victoire Synagogue or you brought before shabbos (and they were open)?

We stayed one night prior to Normandy at the Splendid Etoile near L'Arc de Triomphe. Fantastic hotel.

We spent shabbat at an Airbnb.

I only went to Victoire for Friday night so didn't notice or look for talesim, sorry.

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
Re: Normandy France TR
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 12:59:51 PM »
Great Idea to move this TR out!
-DMC