Author Topic: Paypal debited my bank account --can I get them to switch to my credit card?  (Read 786 times)

Online NTorch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
I made a priceline hotel reservation which I thought was using my paypal credit from ebates and the rest from my credit card. The priceline reservation and paypal confirmation were silent as to the funding source.

Three days later I see the $$ coming out of my bank account and when I clicked through on paypal it showed that they applied the ebates credit and then hit my bank account with the credit card as the "back up" option.

Has anyone had success with getting paypal to after the fact return the cash to a bank account and charge the credit card instead?

Offline real-brisker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
No.
Unless you cancel and redo.

Offline SearchGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
Extremely annoying, especially when it's a few thousand dollars

Online NTorch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
Filed a case with Paypal where I indicated that I had chosen credit card as primary and PayPal billed my bank anyway.

They changed my claim to indicate that Priceline was at fault since I paid Priceline in a different method. I tried to update the claim on Paypal as this was not true but there was no way to do so.

So I called them and said that Priceline was not at fault and it was Paypal who had billed the wrong method. The rep told me that I only added the credit card after the fact and that was why they billed my bank. I pointed out to her that Paypal said that the credit card was back up to the bank for the transaction so it could not have been added after the fact. She said that they could cancel the transaction and I could reorder but I pointed out to her that we already had made the hotel stay.

She then said that all they could do was charge my credit card now and credit the money back to the bank. I asked her if there was a fee from the card company to me and she said that every time you use your card they charge you a fee. (Welsh accent, maybe they do it that way in Wales).

I told her there is never a fee when I buy something on my card and she said that then you will be fine and connected me with another department...these people were "collections" and were confused why they were talking to me since I had no debt.

They put me in touch with "someone who could help me". Of course all he could tell me was that their records showed I chose the bank account as primary after applying a credit I already had with them. I said that in the future they should send confirming emails which confirm the transaction and the source of funding so that people can cancel and reorder if the wrong source was checked. He did not seem to care.