Author Topic: Fraud Story... what would you do?  (Read 18304 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Fraud Story... what would you do?
« on: September 01, 2017, 03:25:33 PM »
Got an email that my card was used for $150.00 at a restaurant in Lombard, IL.  Googled it and immediately called the restaurant hoping to make someone's holiday weekend take a very bad turn for the worse.

The manager was able to track down that the card (which I have in my possession) was used to buy a gift card and had since left the store.  She said she has video of the register that processed the transaction and also has video outside the store that my have caught the car.

Thinking I could still make it a bad weekend for the thief, I asked if they would be able to track use of the card and bust him/her on redemption, but she pointed out that the company operates several restaurants in the IL area, and they'd be unlikely to track on redemption. More importantly, it's likely the GC will be sold to an unsuspecting third party who will unfortunately find out on redemption that the GC is voided.

So, the manager was able to void the transaction, which refunded my card (which I already see) and made the GC value-less.

I've already informed Chase who is overnighting me a new JPM Reserve.

Question is do I bother calling Police Dept in Lombard, IL? 

Even if it would have gone through, and it wont, I wouldn't have been responsible for it, so I'm not out any money.  But is it worth it? Esp with video?  What if he was wearing sunglasses/cap? If video is otherwise not useful? 

What would you do?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Lou Bob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Fraud Story... what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 03:27:02 PM »
Let it go  ;)
Always use an Amex, you'll thank me one day.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 03:27:22 PM »
Absolutely.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline lfas25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 03:30:49 PM »
I only paid 15% by switching to dansdeals

Offline beeweegee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 03:35:57 PM »
Absolutely.
+1 Why wouldn't you? You thankfully aren't out any money in this situation, but why not do something that might help prevent him/her from doing it again?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 03:39:12 PM »
Time is money.

Either way, I'd spoke to them. After first directing me to file a report with my local PD, I convinced her to have a sergeant call me back.

We'll see.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 04:33:54 PM »
I worked in online order verification I had data and spoke to fraudster all day, yes local ones too. Lot's of them I knew the whole scem...

NO ONE CARES

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 04:41:38 PM »
A similar story. My nephew had miles stolen from his ua account ua fraud department said he needs a police report I pushed him to go file it.

2 detectives intergated him for more then an hour about his whole life until they made a 5 min break. He just told them he's out and left without a report.

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 04:46:12 PM »
Got an email that my card was used for $150.00 at a restaurant in Lombard, IL.  Googled it and immediately called the restaurant hoping to make someone's holiday weekend take a very bad turn for the worse.

The manager was able to track down that the card (which I have in my possession) was used to buy a gift card and had since left the store.  She said she has video of the register that processed the transaction and also has video outside the store that my have caught the car.

Thinking I could still make it a bad weekend for the thief, I asked if they would be able to track use of the card and bust him/her on redemption, but she pointed out that the company operates several restaurants in the IL area, and they'd be unlikely to track on redemption. More importantly, it's likely the GC will be sold to an unsuspecting third party who will unfortunately find out on redemption that the GC is voided.

So, the manager was able to void the transaction, which refunded my card (which I already see) and made the GC value-less.

Even if it would have gone through, and it wont, I wouldn't have been responsible for it, so I'm not out any money.  But is it worth it? Esp with video?  What if he was wearing sunglasses/cap? If video is otherwise not useful? 

What would you do?
Thats nothing! I have someone who stole 2 AUs out of my mailbox and went on a shopping spree. The first time I saw right away and he only spent like $200 The second one I didnt realize for 3-4 days and he away with about $2000 worth of stuff from pep boys, auto zone Duane Reade Toys R US, etc.

Amex doesnt care. They just credit me. I really want to catch this guy but they wont cooperate.

Its ridiulous that amex lets you use an AU without activating

Offline TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 04:50:29 PM »
I really want to catch this guy but they wont cooperate.
There are very effective ways of dealing with porch pirates. :)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 04:55:21 PM »

What's rediculous is that these card issuers/networks are making so much money hand over fist, that they reduce friction (by not requiring card activation in your case, and not requiring much verification/security for all transactions, they charge merchants more for that), despite it costing them so many millions a year.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 04:55:34 PM »
Time is money.

Either way, I'd spoke to them. After first directing me to file a report with my local PD, I convinced her to have a sergeant call me back.

We'll see.

Spend 5 minutes on it w the police report it but 99% they'll drop the case. Cc companies and police departments don't deal w fraud at this level.

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 04:57:26 PM »

Amex doesnt care. They just credit me. I really want to catch this guy but they wont cooperate.

90% the merchant takes to loss, that's why the change don't care

Offline sillypainter

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 05:37:48 PM »
90% the merchant takes to loss, that's why the change don't care

Agree. I lost a lot of money on fraudsters. It's a part of doing business with the online community.

Offline mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 05:39:41 PM »
Agree. I lost a lot of money on fraudsters. It's a part of doing business with the online community.
my guy went into stores

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 06:51:13 PM »
Nobody gives 2 hoots. As long as you broke even, let it fly. One random shabbos last month someone used one of my SW cards to blow $1800 at Nordstroms here in Chicago, and then take a ride in an Uber. Chase fraud team let the Nordstrom charge through, but flagged the $18 Uber charge. Reported it and was credited. Done deal.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline nafnaf12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 02:32:01 PM »
Last year someone broke into my car(no sign of forced entry) in Passaic NJ
And took my work bag and some charges (luckily he didn't look in the trunk I had a 5k piece of silver there)
I forgot I had my amex serve card in there and by the time I realized, he already drained it out. But when checking what the charges where I noticed there were all done in store.

So I decided to go to each store and see if I can get more info on this guy, the first couple store told me they can't release any info/video unless I have a police report/warrant, one store showed me the receipt with my supposed signature on it (he just wrtoe my name)
The worker said I can get the footage if I come back when the owner was around (which unfortunately was only once a week and I didn't have the patience to wait)

I made my way to the last store Radio Shack and after talking to the worker for a bit I convinced her to show me the footage which had a clear view of the culprit, although she didn't give me a copy of the footage she let me video it on my phone (at the time I thought it would be good enough) after that she proceeded to print out the receipt and while doing that she noticed the guy actually purchased insurance for speakers he bought, and on the insurance paper he put ALL his info Name, address, and phone number!

Now I really wanted to pick up a few friends and go pay him a visit but my LOR convinced me to go down an file a police report.

I drove down to the station that day with all the info I had gathered and filed a report, right away I was sent up to meet with a detective who at first wasnt so happy I did what I did and kept saying "always come to the police first this is our job, this is what we do" to which I replied that had I just made a police report I doubt the police would have the man's address withing 36hrs 8)
He then told me that most of my "evidence" isn't admissible because I obtained it illegally :o
And a video of a video isn't enough, but he said that that he'll work on it.

On the very next day I get a call from the detective telling me they already have the guy in custody and I should be glad I didn't go myself before contacting the police because turns out he has priors and resisted arrest!
I could not have been happier ;D

He was ultimately charged with 2 counts of Receiving Stolen Property, 2 counts of Fraudulent Use of a Credit Card, 2 counts of Identity Theft and Resisting Arrest.

"With the evidence that we had at hand, we could only prove the ShopRite charges and the Radio Shack charges"

Around 6/7 months later I got a call saying he's being released and I should contact the police if I see, I asked for witness protection but they just laughed at me lol.

Bottom line, dont give up!
even though I didn't get reimbursed for my stolen items which also included my Bose headphones!
I still am happy he hopefully will think twice next time hes breaking into someone else's car.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 02:35:51 PM by nafnaf12 »
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 06:04:52 PM »
...I asked for witness protection but they just laughed at me lol.
You were serious?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline ludmila

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 06:18:40 PM »
Let it go  ;)
+1 and let Chase worry about it.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 06:22:16 PM »

What would you do?
You're aware that the only one losing out from your zealousness is likely the unsuspecting innocent purchaser that buys the GC from the guy?

The CC doesn't give a hoot, and it's their money. Why should you?

As someone once said
Time is money.

The entire process of reporting fraud and getting a new card shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ