Author Topic: Equifax waves fee to freeze credit!!  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Dani

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:52:49 AM by Dani »

Offline hachover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Equifax waves fee to freeze credit!!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 10:07:31 AM »
Are they going to waive the fees to temporarily unfreeze also?

Are they going to sponsor the fees to freeze reports at the other two bureaus too?

Not enough, and too slow. They had 5+ weeks to prepare for the consumer reaction, and all they did with that time was figure out ways to protect themselves (arbitration clause). Their website was inadequate to handle the traffic of concerned people checking, the links for people who were affected didn't work at first, the PINs were assigned using a dumb algo, and all they offered was one year of lousy credit monitoring service (plus upsell!) as if this breach was no different than Target's loss of credit card numbers. Not to mention the insider trading scandal, which is a whole other animal.

Based on the contempt this company is showing to consumers in a situation where they caused a significant amount of injury, they shouldn't survive this. In fact, I've bet heavily that they won't. I think in a few years this company will become an example for business consultants to hold up the same way Blockbuster is now
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:12:35 AM »

Are they going to waive the fees to temporarily unfreeze also?

Yes

Are they going to sponsor the fees to freeze reports at the other two bureaus too?

No

They had 5+ weeks to prepare for the consumer reaction, and all they did with that time was figure out ways to protect themselves (arbitration clause).

And sold off their stock.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline hachover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:18:31 AM »
No

But they should pay for me to freeze the other reports. My SSN and known addresses were given to hackers, as well as my mortgage information and my entire credit history. Basically, every piece of identifying information that lenders use to verify identity is now compromised. Equifax needs to be on the hook to do full damage control.

And sold off their stock.

Yeah, that's unrelated but equally scandalous. Hopefully we will see some justice, but I don't really believe that will happen

I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 10:18:57 AM »
Not enough, and too slow. They had 5+ weeks to prepare for the consumer reaction, and all they did with that time was figure out ways to protect themselves (arbitration clause).
Was the clause always there like most companies now?
I just found a new supply of forks!