Topic Wiki

BRG is a way of getting compensation for finding a cheaper rate then the one offered by the hotel website.  Compensation varies greatly by the hotel brand policy. It can be in the one following: first night free, gift cards, matched rate with an additional percent discount as well as bonus points.

Hotel brand/ site compensation policy
Please note: most will match the rate plus give compensation.
Choice hotel : $50 VISA gift card plus rate matched (US residents) OR first night free plus rate matched (non-US residents). It goes by the address you write on the reservation so if you Write down an Israel (or anywhere non U.S) address, you're good
Ihg: rate matched plus 5x points for the reservation
Best Western: rate matched plus 100$ BW travel card
Marriott: 25% off matched rate or 5,000 Marriott points
Hyatt: 20% off matched rate or 5,000 Hyatt points
Hilton: 25% off matched rate
Wyndham: rate matched plus 3,000 Wyndham points

How to find a brg claim
Search for the hotel and dates of your choice and then the fun begins.
Hotel price comparison web sites are great way of finding BRGs. Some of the following work very well:

TripAdvisor.com
Hotelscombined.com
Trivago.com
Wego.com

If you want some tutorial articles about how BRGs work, how to find them, how to match them, and all the details, go to http://brgdeals.blogspot.com/ and read the articles.

The site run by a guy named David, and he also finds BRGs and posts them there. So If you don't want to start making one yourself, just go to his site, search for the city you need and see if there are any current BRGs available. You can also be spontaneous and look at his most recent finds (he posts new ones almost daily), although you may have not planned a trip, but if you can get it free (or discounted) hey why not.

How to claim a brg
You do need to book the hotel first and then file a BRG claim.  Just search the hotels/ third party site for a best rate gaurantee policy and you should be able to find a link to a brg claim form. Be aware that room and conditions need to be a perfect match.
As they often find ways to wiggle out of this policy it's not advised to book a non refundable room unless you would have stayed there regardless.

Redeeming brgs
No  diff as to the form of compensation ( discount or free night) redeeming Is all the same. Your reservation will look like a standard reservation except it will be either discounted or show a 00.00 balance. Most hotel receptionists aren't familiar with brgs and automatically assume that it's a points stay.

Why I love choice brgs
Choice hotels include brands like quality inn, comfort inn, rodeway and of course the ascend collection. They are fairly easy when it comes to approving claims as long as you stick to the following:
- 1 claim per household per 30 days
- price match before taxes (ymmv on this one)
- your claim is submitted / approved 72 hours before your scheduled stay
However even within those policy's there are plenty of loop
Holes.

When Posting a brg please use the following Example format:

BRG claim for: Choice Hotels
Hotel Name: comfort suites
Hotel Add: 320 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL, US, 60601
Room Type: Queen Suite
Room Rate:197
Better rate found: Hotelscombined.com
Better Rate: 127
« Last edited by a mirrer on August 05, 2019, 01:23:12 PM »

Author Topic: Free hotels/Best rate guarantee  (Read 431039 times)

Offline Yeki89

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Free hotels/Best rate guarantee
« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2013, 12:32:14 AM »
Did the match to the NY Barclay King Suite (Which had a Stench and construction all morning)

I got the email the morning of the stay saying they will send a check within 4-6 weeks

After asking The front desk manager he confirmed that the stay was not billed at all. (The amount is still pending on the card)

Possibly will get the check as well :)
Probably not.

Offline Crazy tools

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2013, 02:49:44 PM »
i just confirmed a free night for a hotel for 1 night of my vacations. Looking to find another one for the next night. Are there any restrictions besides for obviously not being the same property?

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2013, 10:35:18 PM »
Dang - Got a free night at Barclay for a night in November and just found out I'll be out of town that night on business!!!

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2013, 10:48:13 PM »
Dang - Got a free night at Barclay for a night in November and just found out I'll be out of town that night on business!!!

Try and sell it? I think that you could add someone to your reservation and they could then check in. Can someone correct me on this?
Although since it is not paid for untill checkout I wonder if they would need the credit card you reserved under? Did you get the rate adjusted to $0 or are they mailing you a check after your stay?

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2013, 12:26:10 AM »
Try and sell it? I think that you could add someone to your reservation and they could then check in. Can someone correct me on this?
Although since it is not paid for untill checkout I wonder if they would need the credit card you reserved under? Did you get the rate adjusted to $0 or are they mailing you a check after your stay?
Says in the terms that you can not add anyone to the reservation

Offline joeb1

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2013, 12:27:14 AM »

not recommended at all!

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2013, 09:48:04 AM »

There's nothing I can do - Unless I added my wife to the reservation, which I don't think I did. Oh well, it's not like I lost anything (besides 10 minutes of my time)

Offline intgesh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2013, 01:09:26 PM »
I've made it my business to add a friend as a second guest during the original booking, to avoid such disappointments!  ;)

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2013, 03:35:50 PM »
I've made it my business to add a friend as a second guest during the original booking, to avoid such disappointments!  ;)
Thanks!!! Always appreciated :)

Offline aryeh1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2013, 04:41:34 PM »
Its not a problem to change the additional guest?

Offline dovy2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 02, 2013, 02:53:07 PM »
is there anyone that still never heard anything after being approved?

Offline DovtheBear

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #151 on: July 02, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »
is there anyone that still never heard anything after being approved?
What do you mean by approved?
They told me I would get an email, and I never did.
"להסתובב זה לא אומר להיות חופשי"

Offline dovy2

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 04, 2013, 11:18:30 AM »
What do you mean by approved?
as in got the BRG approved with a confirmation number, and told that i will get an E-mail with the price showing at 0.

Problem is, I lost that confirmation number.

Offline DovtheBear

• View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #153 on: July 04, 2013, 12:20:58 PM »
I got the email!  8)

Dear DovtheBear,

Thank you for contacting IHG’s Best Price Guarantee Support Desk in regards to your reservation at InterContinental New York Barclay on 04 January 2013 for 1 night under Confirmation No. XXXXXXX.

We were able to verify the lower rate found on www.hoteltravel.com and are pleased to award you a FREE night for 04 January 2013 at InterContinental New York Barclay. Please be informed that the Free Night is subject to the hotel’s regular cancellation policy. Please contact the hotel directly to verify the cancellation policy of this booking.

Please be reminded that:

The credit card on file should be approved when the hotel attempts to make the charge or adjustment. In the event of a failure transaction or declined credit card, the free night and rate adjustment will no longer be honored pursuant to the Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions.
Once a valid claim has been made and approved by IHG for a specific date, no further claims by the same person will be accepted for the same date. If members of the same household make claims for consecutive nights at the same IHG hotel or at different IHG hotels within fifty (50) miles of each other, only the Best Price Guarantee claim for the first night will be honored.
The reservation is non-transferable and the name/s on the reservation must remain the same.
Changes to the reservation such as number of adults, length of stay, dates of stay, type of room and such are not allowed and would mean the forfeiture of your free night.
A valid government issued ID is required upon check-in that matches the name found on the reservation for the free night to be honored.

We look forward to accommodating your upcoming reservation. Should you have any questions or concerns please contact us via e-mail at bestpriceguarantee@ihg.com or phone at 800.447.2981.

Sincerely,

Joann Manasan
Best Price Guarantee
Guest Relations
InterContinental Hotels Group
Phone 800.447.2981
Email: bestpriceguarantee@ihg.com
www.ihg.com/bestprice
Reference No. XXXXXXX

Offline dovy2

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 04, 2013, 12:30:11 PM »
punkt today you got it?

Offline DovtheBear

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 04, 2013, 12:35:41 PM »
punkt today you got it?
No, I got it on Monday, didn't see it till yesterday, and didn't think to look for this thread. When it came up, I posted it.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 04, 2013, 12:49:48 PM »
I got the email!  8)

Dear DovtheBear,

Thank you for contacting IHG’s Best Price Guarantee Support Desk in regards to your reservation at InterContinental New York Barclay on 04 January 2013 for 1 night under Confirmation No. XXXXXXX.

We were able to verify the lower rate found on www.hoteltravel.com and are pleased to award you a FREE night for 04 January 2013 at InterContinental New York Barclay. Please be informed that the Free Night is subject to the hotel’s regular cancellation policy. Please contact the hotel directly to verify the cancellation policy of this booking.

Please be reminded that:

The credit card on file should be approved when the hotel attempts to make the charge or adjustment. In the event of a failure transaction or declined credit card, the free night and rate adjustment will no longer be honored pursuant to the Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions.
Once a valid claim has been made and approved by IHG for a specific date, no further claims by the same person will be accepted for the same date. If members of the same household make claims for consecutive nights at the same IHG hotel or at different IHG hotels within fifty (50) miles of each other, only the Best Price Guarantee claim for the first night will be honored.
The reservation is non-transferable and the name/s on the reservation must remain the same.
Changes to the reservation such as number of adults, length of stay, dates of stay, type of room and such are not allowed and would mean the forfeiture of your free night.
A valid government issued ID is required upon check-in that matches the name found on the reservation for the free night to be honored.

We look forward to accommodating your upcoming reservation. Should you have any questions or concerns please contact us via e-mail at bestpriceguarantee@ihg.com or phone at 800.447.2981.

Sincerely,

Joann Manasan
Best Price Guarantee
Guest Relations
InterContinental Hotels Group
Phone 800.447.2981
Email: bestpriceguarantee@ihg.com
www.ihg.com/bestprice
Reference No. XXXXXXX

Awesome. But how do you time travel to take advantage of the free night?

Offline DovtheBear

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 04, 2013, 12:53:14 PM »
Awesome. But how do you time travel to take advantage of the free night?
Wow! I didn't even realize that.

Update: The reservation has the right date. Now what?

Offline SPGDUDE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 04, 2013, 06:55:37 PM »
Wow! I didn't even realize that.

Update: The reservation has the right date. Now what?
I got the same email with the correct date.

Offline harry

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 05, 2013, 12:40:58 AM »
I got a similar email, except that they got the name wrong as well as the year! seems to be copied and pasted from someone elses adjustment.

Dear Jxxxxx Wxxxxxxxx,

Please accept our apologies, but we were unable to adjust your reservation to reflect your free night on xxxxxxxx at the xxxxxxxxxxx.
In order to fulfill the BPG promise of providing the first night free for reservation number xxxxxxx, we will reimburse the amount you paid via check which you can expect to receive in 4 - 6 weeks.
Please provide us your complete mailing address where you would like your check to be sent.