Topic Wiki

BRG is a way of getting compensation for finding a cheaper rate then the one offered by the hotel website.  Compensation varies greatly by the hotel brand policy. It can be in the one following: first night free, gift cards, matched rate with an additional percent discount as well as bonus points.

Hotel brand/ site compensation policy
Please note: most will match the rate plus give compensation.
Choice hotel : $50 VISA gift card plus rate matched (US residents) OR first night free plus rate matched (non-US residents). It goes by the address you write on the reservation so if you Write down an Israel (or anywhere non U.S) address, you're good
Ihg: rate matched plus 5x points for the reservation
Best Western: rate matched plus 100$ BW travel card
Marriott: 25% off matched rate or 5,000 Marriott points
Hyatt: 20% off matched rate or 5,000 Hyatt points
Hilton: 25% off matched rate
Wyndham: rate matched plus 3,000 Wyndham points

How to find a brg claim
Search for the hotel and dates of your choice and then the fun begins.
Hotel price comparison web sites are great way of finding BRGs. Some of the following work very well:

TripAdvisor.com
Hotelscombined.com
Trivago.com
Wego.com

If you want some tutorial articles about how BRGs work, how to find them, how to match them, and all the details, go to http://brgdeals.blogspot.com/ and read the articles.

The site run by a guy named David, and he also finds BRGs and posts them there. So If you don't want to start making one yourself, just go to his site, search for the city you need and see if there are any current BRGs available. You can also be spontaneous and look at his most recent finds (he posts new ones almost daily), although you may have not planned a trip, but if you can get it free (or discounted) hey why not.

How to claim a brg
You do need to book the hotel first and then file a BRG claim.  Just search the hotels/ third party site for a best rate gaurantee policy and you should be able to find a link to a brg claim form. Be aware that room and conditions need to be a perfect match.
As they often find ways to wiggle out of this policy it's not advised to book a non refundable room unless you would have stayed there regardless.

Redeeming brgs
No  diff as to the form of compensation ( discount or free night) redeeming Is all the same. Your reservation will look like a standard reservation except it will be either discounted or show a 00.00 balance. Most hotel receptionists aren't familiar with brgs and automatically assume that it's a points stay.

Why I love choice brgs
Choice hotels include brands like quality inn, comfort inn, rodeway and of course the ascend collection. They are fairly easy when it comes to approving claims as long as you stick to the following:
- 1 claim per household per 30 days
- price match before taxes (ymmv on this one)
- your claim is submitted / approved 72 hours before your scheduled stay
However even within those policy's there are plenty of loop
Holes.

When Posting a brg please use the following Example format:

BRG claim for: Choice Hotels
Hotel Name: comfort suites
Hotel Add: 320 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL, US, 60601
Room Type: Queen Suite
Room Rate:197
Better rate found: Hotelscombined.com
Better Rate: 127
« Last edited by a mirrer on August 05, 2019, 01:23:12 PM »

Author Topic: Free hotels/Best rate guarantee  (Read 427271 times)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Free hotels/Best rate guarantee
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2013, 12:14:50 PM »
ok thanks.  so i guess dan got lucky? (assuming the he used something like what he shows in the screenshot, which doesn't have the "free cancellation" icon)

If you look at the one highlighted in his screenshot it DOES NOT say advanced purchase which shows it's refundable.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline fretworthy

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2013, 12:25:43 PM »
If you look at the one highlighted in his screenshot it DOES NOT say advanced purchase which shows it's refundable.

Maybe this is the confusion - I see 3 types of reservations on hoteltravel
  • some just say the room type, and do not say "advance purchase" nor "free cancellation"
  • some say "advance purchase" in the room type - eg "Deluxe, one king bed - advance purchase"
  • some say just the room type ("deluxe"), but also have a green icon in the top left which says "free cancellation"

Dan's screenshot is of (1).  I'm wondering if that is sufficient, or does it need to be (3).

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »
You should be.
Good call

Amyrlin

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
Looks like they have decided how to deal with it. Someone by the name of Steve posted on that same site, that this is the response they got;

"Greetings!

Thank you for contacting our office regarding our Best Price Guarantee in reference to rates at the InterContinental BARCLAY. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you with this matter.

Per terms and condition of the program,

13. Abuse of Best Price Guarantee. IHG reserves the right to cancel a previously awarded free night and to cancel the lower prices for the rest of the nights of a multi-night reservation if it is found that a customer has violated or circumvented the Best Price Guarantee Terms & Conditions. Resale of rooms eligible for the Best Price Guarantee is strictly prohibited. In the event IHG believes that a room eligible for the Best Price Guarantee has been resold, or the Best Price Guarantee is otherwise being intentionally abused or manipulated to circumvent its intent, we reserve the right to cancel the previously-awarded free room night and to cancel the lower prices for the rest of the nights of a multi-night reservation, and to reject future Best Price Guarantee claims from any persons who participated in such actions.

As the provisions of our guarantee have been abused, your claim is no longer valid and any future claims you make in regards to the guarantee will be rejected.

Best Regards"
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2013, 12:32:03 PM »
i booked a 1 and they told me it will be honored

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2013, 12:38:44 PM »
i booked a 1 and they told me it will be honored
Who's they and when did they tell you?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2013, 12:46:22 PM »
Good call

Amyrlin

Looks like they have decided how to deal with it. Someone by the name of Steve posted on that same site, that this is the response they got;

"Greetings!

Thank you for contacting our office regarding our Best Price Guarantee in reference to rates at the InterContinental BARCLAY. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you with this matter.

13. Abuse of Best Price Guarantee. IHG reserves the right to cancel a previously awarded free night and to cancel the lower prices for the rest of the nights of a multi-night reservation if it is found that a customer has violated or circumvented the Best Price Guarantee Terms & Conditions. Resale of rooms eligible for the Best Price Guarantee is strictly prohibited. In the event IHG believes that a room eligible for the Best Price Guarantee has been resold, or the Best Price Guarantee is otherwise being intentionally abused or manipulated to circumvent its intent, we reserve the right to cancel the previously-awarded free room night and to cancel the lower prices for the rest of the nights of a multi-night reservation, and to reject future Best Price Guarantee claims from any persons who participated in such actions.

As the provisions of our guarantee have been abused, your claim is no longer valid and any future claims you make in regards to the guarantee will be rejected.

Best Regards"

I'd love to see them defend that in court. Scoundrels
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline DovtheBear

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2013, 01:10:26 PM »
I'd love to see them defend that in court. Scoundrels
+1 >:(
I am on hold now. Is the consensus that it's not worth it and I should just cancel?
"להסתובב זה לא אומר להיות חופשי"

Offline fretworthy

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2013, 01:26:22 PM »
+1 >:(
I am on hold now. Is the consensus that it's not worth it and I should just cancel?

just finished with them - they picked up after 1.5 hours and had to take 2 5-10 minute breaks to "verify" the lower rate.  but they said it is valid, and they gave me a reference number for the claim and that it will be confirmed and honored.  let's hope!

Offline DovtheBear

• View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2013, 01:28:19 PM »
just finished with them - they picked up after 1.5 hours and had to take 2 5-10 minute breaks to "verify" the lower rate.  but they said it is valid, and they gave me a reference number for the claim and that it will be confirmed and honored.  let's hope!
I hear ya. But..
Good call

Amyrlin

"Greetings!

Best Regards"

Offline DovtheBear

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2013, 03:06:25 PM »
After almost 2 hours, they told me it is a valid claim, and I should get an e-mail confirmation from the Hotel confirming my free night.
And if the Hotel doesn't approve the claim, they, (whoever I spoke to), will reimburse me.
Sounds good.  :)

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2013, 03:25:49 PM »
:( to much publicity is never a good thing, I hope this doesn't make a big chilul H'

http://bestrateguarantee.blogspot.com/2013/06/ihg-updates-best-price-guarantee-t-new.html

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2013, 03:44:13 PM »
:( to much publicity is never a good thing, I hope this doesn't make a big chilul H'

http://bestrateguarantee.blogspot.com/2013/06/ihg-updates-best-price-guarantee-t-new.html

Too late.

Have you seen the comments?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline jmansour

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »
I waited on hold an hour and finally got through ( i left the hold call while at my desk), i gave them all the info and they put me on hold for 10 minutes and came back and confirmed everything and gave me a case number and said I should receive an email with the adjusted confirmation showing zero.

Offline Jay the PRESIDENT

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2013, 11:16:12 PM »
whats up with this deal-- is anyone still getting the free night?  did they actually change the t&c's?

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2013, 12:37:32 AM »
How many of you have gotten the email showing the updated rate? I was told on Sunday that my claim was approved, but have yet to receive the email (and my rate has not yet been adjusted). I called today to make sure nothing went wrong and was told that it has been sent to the hotel to be adjusted, but they could not give me an estimate of how long that would take. I did get a reference number for the approval, though.

Offline shimino1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2013, 09:37:34 AM »
How many of you have gotten the email showing the updated rate? I was told on Sunday that my claim was approved, but have yet to receive the email (and my rate has not yet been adjusted). I called today to make sure nothing went wrong and was told that it has been sent to the hotel to be adjusted, but they could not give me an estimate of how long that would take. I did get a reference number for the approval, though.
Dosent sound good but hatzlecha

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2013, 09:49:01 AM »

Would be annoying if they don't honor mine in the end, as my claim was approved at 9:30 AM EDT Sunday and I did not make multiple bookings.

Offline mercaz1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2013, 10:06:16 AM »
did anyone get a confirmation email that the price was changed yet?

Offline aryeh1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2013, 11:15:41 AM »
why not?
No one got an email?

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »
Would be annoying if they don't honor mine in the end, as my claim was approved at 9:30 AM EDT Sunday and I did not make multiple bookings.

Mine was approved 2:30 AM Sun morning hours before dan posted, and I still have not received the email. Way I see it is if they honor it great, if not its no biggie.