Author Topic: Wizmanison's Kauai TR 2017  (Read 7866 times)

Offline Wizmanison

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Wizmanison's Kauai TR 2017
« on: October 31, 2017, 11:43:54 AM »
If anyone is interested in my TR for Kauai:

Found myself booking a last minute, 5 night, Labor Day weekend trip to Hawaii.

Stayed 5 nights at the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort. This hotel is absolutely stunning right from the entrance with several pools, a lazy river, a man made beach, as well as access to their private beach, tennis courts, spa and gym, as well as several other amenities.
Here are some pics of the above mentioned areas

A drone pic I took of the resort

Because I took advantage of the Hyatt to MLife back to Hyatt match I was able to get the Explorist benefits. They were very nice upgrading us to an ocean room, complementary valet, free kosher breakfast buffet (which was truly terrible), and so on...

As for the rental car, since I took part in that glitch several months ago with the Nordic Hertz Presidents Circle, I got upgraded to a beautiful SS Camaro Fifty edition convertible for the price of an economy car and could not be happier!
 Car Pics and heres a drone shot of us driving

As for flights... I booked through Korean Air with Delta for First class (only flight available since I booked last minute). After reading online about the aircraft Delta would be using I was not so excited as it was just a standard recliner and read that it would be a drop down entertainment system but was shocked to see the first class cabin look somewhat new, with a built in TV, and of course very comfortable. My wife's seat would not recline, her TV was glitchy, and they forgot our meal so I tweeted Delta and they offered 25k miles each or $200 voucher. Ended up getting 90k back in DL points by complaining via twitter and then sending in a complaint form online through their portal for both my wife and I.

Here are pics of the cabin

We spent the Friday & Saturday at the resort the whole time and Sunday through the rest of the trip, is when we explored the the wonderful Island and ended up barely spending any time at the resort! We rented snorkeling gear and stopped at several of the beaches as we drove throughout the Island over the course of the next few days:

Poipu Beach- Beautiful beach right by the resort that has a wonderful array of fish and is suitable for beginner snorkels

Waileu Beach- Great place for beginner snorkels as well. Crowded but very fun and a good place to bring kids.

Lawai Beach- Definitely felt as though this beach was for someone who has at least gone snorkeling a couple of times.  The waves were a bit stronger here but this where we sighted several massive sized turtles.

Ka’e Beach- Beautiful beach all the way at one of the ends of the island. Stunning views of the mountain side and ocean. Difficult to get a parking spot.

Polihale beach- was fine to drive with the Camaro... A bit annoying and bumpy but definitely doable. Besides that, it was an amazing sunset view and definitely a place to drive out to.

We of course visited the Queens Bath, Waimea canyon(absolutely stunning), Wailua River Water Falls, and other attractions throughout the island.

As for kosher food we brought from western kosher in LA, purchased a toaster oven from costco, and the typical groceries from the stores in the area.

Points breakdown:
Flights: 45k each Roundtrip with Delta First Class LAX-->LIH
Hotel: 25k (Category 6) each night at Grand Hyatt Kauai for a total of 5 nights
Car Rental: $125 for 3 days with a convertible class car

Minus the 90k I received from Delta and the 25k points from Hyatt for tweeting them a picture of a roach in our room.

P.S. First time writing one of these so sorry about any misformating or any other mistakes :) Also, I am in no way a photographer so keep that in mind (especially when you see the stills I attempted to take from the drone videos)!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:46:55 PM by Wizmanison »

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
Re: Re: Kauai, HI Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 11:51:40 AM »
Amazing! Thanks for taking the time to write up.

Offline tageed-lee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 73
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Kauai, HI Master Thread
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 12:36:27 PM »

Amazing TR! Fantastic pics and drone shots!

Also, Love how you linked the images making it easier to read...

Thanks for sharing! Brought back great memories!

ETA: Was gonna say it needs it own thread... Thanks Dan. Also, I added it to the Kauai Wiki.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 12:41:25 PM by tageed-lee »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Wizmanison's Kauai TR
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 12:39:52 PM »
Great TR!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Wizmanison

• View Profile
Re: Wizmanison's Kauai TR
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 01:44:23 PM »
Amazing TR! Fantastic pics and drone shots!

Also, Love how you linked the images making it easier to read...

Thanks for sharing! Brought back great memories!

ETA: Was gonna say it needs it own thread... Thanks Dan. Also, I added it to the Kauai Wiki.
Great TR!
Amazing! Thanks for taking the time to write up.

No problem! Expect another one just like this coming for DXB/CAI/MLE/BKK/SIN/HKT/PHZ/ and some others I’m set to visit next month!

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
Re: Wizmanison's Kauai TR 2017
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 01:57:16 PM »
Great TR and pictures, thanks!!
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline yoohoo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 02:33:02 PM »
Thanks

Does Western Kosher have prepared travel meals?

Offline Wizmanison

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 09:00:12 PM »
Thanks

Does Western Kosher have prepared travel meals?
Not really I just went to their store by Pico and La Brea, picked what I want and asked them to double wrap it. He mentioned that a lot of people come and ask for the same thing.