Author Topic: Honeymoon: Cape Town, SA - Safari - Mauritius  (Read 18783 times)

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Honeymoon: Cape Town, SA - Safari - Mauritius
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 02:03:38 PM »
true......

but then again
we're all victim of over spoiling....
Once you go F, it's hard to go back
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline jomaster28

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 02:30:43 PM »
Nice, did you need the full 5 days there? Or would you recommend 3 or 4 instead?

3 days is probably enough honestly. However since the Citi Prestige card got me the 4th night free, and the safari gave me the 5th night free, the 4th and 5th nights were no-brainers.

Offline jomaster28

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »
Doesn't seem like they flew J/F so there's always room to spoil more

J/F was just outside of what i could do. Plus i heard SAA Business class isn't that worth it and i didn't have that many points to waste. We still have more plans lol.

The 250 for the mashgiach was on top of the 1400 ?

The $250 was included in the $1,400.

Offline jomaster28

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 02:36:35 PM »
Nice!  Mauritius is on my bucket-list.  Why there over Seychelles?

For me there was no specific reason. But once i got to Mauritius and met the american couple that told us Mauritius was so much better than Seychelles maybe that can be a reason for you.

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 07:28:13 PM »
Doesn't seem like they flew J/F so there's always room to spoil more

Was thinking the same and that is a long RT in Y..

Great TR op.

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2017, 07:32:23 PM »
Was thinking the same and that is a long RT in Y..
Yep, just go to show how spoiled we are here, guy had an amazing trip for his honeymoon which most people could only dream of and all we can think of is "hard to fly that far in Y"
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2017, 12:07:56 PM »
Yep, just go to show how spoiled we are here, guy had an amazing trip for his honeymoon which most people could only dream of and all we can think of is "hard to fly that far in Y"
Unless you're fishy, it's only 16 hours of your life.

Thanx for for a great report
Chanuka in SA now there's something to salivate over
Coming out of the pool to light .... ;)

Offline maxmiles

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2017, 06:42:41 AM »
WOW what an amazing TR was Dan-esque!

Of course on your 20 year anniversary you will need to fly J/F, only way to make a perfect trip a little more perfect. Great job!!

Offline mattsimon

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2017, 10:01:58 AM »
Really nice! thank you for sharing your experience and pics!!

Offline astrophy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2018, 11:27:23 PM »
For me there was no specific reason. But once i got to Mauritius and met the american couple that told us Mauritius was so much better than Seychelles maybe that can be a reason for you.

We did Seychelles in January and can tell you that it is amazing. Hopefully will get to a trip report, but we did Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Praslin, La Digue, Mahe, Cape Town, and then a safari.

Pros for Seychelles:
- One island had nothing but bikes to get around and it was so much fun.
- Very easy to rent a car and find a private pristine beach that is picturesque and have it all to yourself.
- Has a few beaches that are typically always ranked top ten in the world.
- Flights to/from UAE and JNB make it just as easy as MRU to get to. (I think I paid $330 one way to get to CPT from SEZ)

Negatives:
- The accommodations are either very high end, somewhat over priced Airbnbs, self catering apartments, or budget hotels.
- Not sure how Mauritius is, but like most islands outside of southeast Asia the customer service isn't the best.
- Going out to eat can be pricey.

I would say that a majority of people who have been to both usually state a preference of Seychelles over Mauritius, but we've yet to go to Mauritius. I don't think I would go out of my way to go back to the Seychelles because it's not easy to get to, but we were very happy with our choice. Mauritius looks fantastic as well. I will say that we did not see many Americans in the Seychelles. Mostly French and Italian. There is also a lot more island hopping which we enjoy. Even in peak season (Christmas and New Years) the most popular beaches weren't the crowded and it was extremely easy to find nice secluded spots where you might not see another person all day. I think Mauritius is going to have better beaches at the high end resorts, whereas the Seychelles' best beaches were typically not next to large resorts with the exception of Mahe.

Offline sruliL

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2018, 12:17:48 AM »
Amazing TR! Thanks for being so detailed!
Life's not about doing things good, its about doing good things.

Offline davidmal

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2018, 11:32:34 AM »
Yes he was there the entire duration of my trip. He woke up at 5AM  before i went on the morning drives and stayed working until after dinner (with breaks of course).The total add of was around $250 per day.

Nightly rate was around $1,400
i cant handle these pictures
and that private chef food
really job well done!
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline davidmal

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2018, 11:33:27 AM »
We did Seychelles in January and can tell you that it is amazing. Hopefully will get to a trip report, but we did Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Praslin, La Digue, Mahe, Cape Town, and then a safari.

Pros for Seychelles:
- Very easy to rent a car and find a private pristine beach that is picturesque and have it all to yourself.
- Flights to/from UAE and JNB make it just as easy as MRU to get to. (I think I paid $330 one way to get to CPT from SEZ)

Negatives:
- The accommodations are either very high end, somewhat over priced Airbnbs, self catering apartments, or budget hotels.
- Not sure how Mauritius is, but like most islands outside of southeast Asia the customer service isn't the best.

I would say that a majority of people who have been to both usually state a preference of Seychelles over Mauritius, but we've yet to go to Mauritius. I don't think I would go out of my way to go back to the Seychelles because it's not easy to get to, but we were very happy with our choice. Mauritius looks fantastic as well. I will say that we did not see many Americans in the Seychelles. Mostly French and Italian. There is also a lot more island hopping which we enjoy. Even in peak season (Christmas and New Years) the most popular beaches weren't the crowded and it was extremely easy to find nice secluded spots where you might not see another person all day. I think Mauritius is going to have better beaches at the high end resorts, whereas the Seychelles' best beaches were typically not next to large resorts with the exception of Mahe.

Start a New thread and post your pictures with details to help others plan their trip as well!
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline Wizmanison

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2018, 12:11:02 AM »

Pros for Seychelles:

Negatives:

Still waiting on your TR!

Where did you stay in SEZ and for how long?

Offline HDS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2018, 06:01:45 PM »
@jomaster28

Wow - insanely good TR, and crazy stories. Love how adventurous you both were, memories for a lifetime indeed!

Looking at Mauritius for a winter trip, RT from Israel, but after reading your TR, I think I need to look closer at SA!

In Mauritius, it sounds like you guys lucked out on the weather - did you mostly chill in the hotel there, or explore around? Was it crazy humid, even if you avoided rain? (Yes, yes, I've been looking all over the internet, and I probably know the average temps for Mauritius better than I do for my own backyard, I'm just asking what someone's own experience was.)

Any info would be great, thanks.

--HDS

Offline jomaster28

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2018, 08:44:23 AM »
@jomaster28

In Mauritius, it sounds like you guys lucked out on the weather - did you mostly chill in the hotel there, or explore around? Was it crazy humid, even if you avoided rain? (Yes, yes, I've been looking all over the internet, and I probably know the average temps for Mauritius better than I do for my own backyard, I'm just asking what someone's own experience was.)

--HDS

thank you for the review! SA was awesome, you should for sure look into Cape Town and going on a Safari.

the weather in Mauritius was amazing! It rained as we landed and got in the cab but once we got to the hotel we didn't see a rain drop for the rest of trip. We did stay at the hotels the entire time and didn't tour the island. After 2 weeks of touring we wanted to just sit and relax.

I had a friend who was supposed to go to Mauritius this past January but canceled bc there was a monsoon of some sort. So that is possible.

But for us we didn't have any rain and it was not humid at all. 

Good Luck

Offline HDS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2018, 11:23:11 AM »
Yeah, I hear Nov is better than Dec, which is better than Jan for Mauritius weather.

Offline jomaster28

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2018, 03:43:42 PM »
Yeah, I hear Nov is better than Dec, which is better than Jan for Mauritius weather.

right...i went in January and it was perfect...stayed at Westin & St. Regis weather was perfect in both locations

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2018, 03:03:39 PM »
right...i went in January and it was perfect...stayed at Westin & St. Regis weather was perfect in both locations
What activities does the St Regis include complimentary with its stay?
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2018, 08:13:56 AM »
3 days is probably enough honestly. However since the Citi Prestige card got me the 4th night free, and the safari gave me the 5th night free, the 4th and 5th nights were no-brainers.

So wait the $1400 a day is after the 4th and 5th night free discounts or you actually only paid $4200 for all five nights and with the  4th and 5th nights free it only came out to $840 a night, after all the discounts?  Just want to make sure I understand and great trip report!