Topic Wiki

Barcelona
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, Yehoshua, CGR
Kosher Restaurants: http://www.restaurantmaccabi.com/en/
Activities: Jewish Tours in Barcelona, http://www.urbancultours.com
http://www.barcelonadreaming.com/package/barcelona-jewish-tour/
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips: Stay at Hotel Condado it is about a 3 minute walk from the shul (local community), bear in mind there is no eruv, so you will need to either leave the room open or make some arrangement with the hotel, they do not offer keys (or have that option at all)
Public Transport options:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Barcelona (Orthodox): http://www.cibonline.org; Go to the local shul and meet Rabbi Daniel Ashkenazi he is wonderful and quite helpful.

Madrid
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, @Yehuda pics, Yehoshua, @zalc (Mini)., CGR
Kosher Restaurants: http://www.restaurantelaescudilla.com  https://www.pinatimadrid.com/  https://www.pizzeriarimmon.com/(teuda)
Activities: Toledo - a day trip from Madrid to see 2 old Shuls. Can hire a tour guide, Rabbi Hanoka (info@jewishtoledotour.com), which is not cheap, or can take a train on your own. 1 of the Shuls (El Transito) is closed on Mondays. @Yehuda went on a day when that Shul was closed, and the other Shul was really just an empty room and seemed like a Christian organization now runs the center. Without a tour guide, it was hard to get anything Jewish out of our trip (other than an antique store that had some Judaica). But, people who have taken the tour (discussed in the thread) have said it was great! Recommended to go with a tour or not go at all (and ensure to go on a day when both are open!). Report in the thread that the sometimes-closed Shul has audio headsets for use, so that would help. If going alone, you can research the Jewish places at the link HERE
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips: Chabad Site
Public Transport options: Uber works well, as does the subway if you speak Spanish.
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Madrid (Orthodox), http://www.cjmadrid.org

Malaga
Links to Trip Reports:
CGR
Kosher Restaurants:
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Comunidad Israelita de Malaga (Orthodox), http://www.cimalaga.es

Seville
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, Yehoshua, CGR
Kosher Restaurants:
Activities: Jewish Tours in Sevilla/Cordoba, http://www.jewishsevilla.com
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Comunidad Judia de Sevilla, synagoguesevilla@gmail.com

Gibraltar
Links to Trip Reports: Yehoshua
Kosher Restaurants: Amar's Bakery and Coffee shop, http://www.amarsbakery.com/
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Gibraltar, http://www.jewishgibraltar.com

Mallorca
Links to Trip Reports:
CGR
Kosher Restaurants: Their is not - one restaurant serve felafel it's own by an israeli but no hechsher
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips: The Shul its open on Friday night
Guidebooks:
Other Tips:

4500 IB Avios from anywhere to anywhere in the country
Best way to get around anywhere in this country is by scooter. It is safer driving them there since they outnumber cars by great proportions.
« Last edited by cgr on September 04, 2023, 09:01:01 PM »

Author Topic: Spain Master Thread  (Read 272328 times)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Spain Master Thread
« Reply #920 on: October 23, 2017, 07:59:34 AM »
No. Are you there next week?

;)
Hopefully, unless we ditch Spain for a less rowdy country at the moment.

Wanna leave me a toaster oven lol
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: October 23, 2017, 01:34:35 PM »

:)

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: October 23, 2017, 02:22:18 PM »

I left a gallon of CY milk, a couple month old by now, but would make great cottage cheese.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline yg99

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 30, 2017, 03:20:53 PM »
Looking for opinions.

I'm planning a night in Barcelona and don't know where to stay. I've been to the Le Meridian twice and, although it's very convenient, I wouldn't mind a change.

Choices include:
W
Ritz - Hotel Arts
One of three Hilton Hotels: Alexandra Barcelona Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, Hilton Barcelona, Hilton Diagonal Mar Barcelona
Crowne Plaza

Anyone spend the night in any of these?

Thanks

Offline Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: November 30, 2017, 03:51:44 PM »
No, but we chose an amazing Airbnb right near Las Ramblas. Was convenient, cheap and quite nice.

Offline yg99

• View Profile
« Reply #925 on: November 30, 2017, 04:09:14 PM »
All my choices are points hotels of which I have enough. So why pay?

Offline Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 30, 2017, 04:27:00 PM »
All my choices are points hotels of which I have enough. So why pay?
Because you want something close, nice and it doesn't cost that much?

Offline yg99

• View Profile
« Reply #927 on: December 06, 2017, 10:06:41 AM »
Anyone hear of a new restaurant in Barcelona called Shaq Shuq. According to yeahthatskosher.com it is certified by Harabanut Hareishit of Barcelona & Catalonia, using Bet Yosef meat.

Good Hashgacha?

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: December 06, 2017, 10:49:36 AM »
Ask R' Eizdlitz from KosherQuest.org.

Offline elnubie

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: December 20, 2017, 11:33:45 PM »
Anyone been to Basque country (including both Spain and France) ? We're planning a 2 week vacation in that area. Would appreciate suggestions on itinerary and cities/hotels to stay at.  Thanks!

Offline Chaim#1

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: December 21, 2017, 05:19:36 AM »
thinking about doing a trip next week for 2-3 days should i go to athens and the surroundings or Barcelona? should i do both ? is there enough to do in Barcelona for 3 days ? any help would be appreciated 

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #931 on: December 21, 2017, 10:17:26 AM »
thinking about doing a trip next week for 2-3 days should i go to athens and the surroundings or Barcelona? should i do both ? is there enough to do in Barcelona for 3 days ? any help would be appreciated
3 days is a lot of time in Barcelona. There's the Jewish tour (see wiki), La Ramblas street to walk down with Maccabi restaurant (supposedly a 2nd restaurant opened recently), Park Guell to walk through, a few Gaudi buildings you could see if that interests you like La Pedrera/Casa Mila, you can pass by the church Sagrada Familia, take the free walking tour from Travel Bar. Even if you did all that, you'd only fill 1.5-2 days.

Offline DTM

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: December 21, 2017, 11:42:28 AM »
3 days is a lot of time in Barcelona. There's the Jewish tour (see wiki), La Ramblas street to walk down with Maccabi restaurant (supposedly a 2nd restaurant opened recently), Park Guell to walk through, a few Gaudi buildings you could see if that interests you like La Pedrera/Casa Mila, you can pass by the church Sagrada Familia, take the free walking tour from Travel Bar. Even if you did all that, you'd only fill 1.5-2 days.
I am also planning a first time trip to Barcelona. I booked the 2 hour Jewish tour on http://www.barcelonadreaming.com/package/barcelona-jewish-tour/ . The second new restaurant advertised as kosher is Shaq Shuq, also near La Rambla.  In addition to all of the sights above, there is a Picasso museum if you are interested, and I wonder if a trip to Montjuic ("Mountain of Jews" in Catalan) would be worthwhile. Looks like a 10 minute cab right from La Rambla area, with various sights: castle, art musuems, old spanish village tourist attraction, and former ancient Jewish cemetery (I think it is no longer visible, although some graves were found.)     
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 12:06:53 PM by DTM »

Offline yg99

• View Profile
« Reply #933 on: December 21, 2017, 12:36:35 PM »
I took a long walk on Montjuic and there really is nothing there. The only thing I found was a few Olympic stadiums from when they held the Olympics there. I couldn't find any Jewish cemetery. Didn't notice anything else of interest, although I might have missed something.

Probably included in the Jewish tour is the Rashba's Shul which is a couple of blocks off La Rambla.

Summertime, I'm sure the beach is nice. There is a cable car that goes up to Montjuic, I think.

Plenty of shopping if that's your thing.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: December 22, 2017, 08:17:40 AM »
I am also planning a first time trip to Barcelona. I booked the 2 hour Jewish tour on http://www.barcelonadreaming.com/package/barcelona-jewish-tour/ . The second new restaurant advertised as kosher is Shaq Shuq, also near La Rambla.  In addition to all of the sights above, there is a Picasso museum if you are interested, and I wonder if a trip to Montjuic ("Mountain of Jews" in Catalan) would be worthwhile. Looks like a 10 minute cab right from La Rambla area, with various sights: castle, art musuems, old spanish village tourist attraction, and former ancient Jewish cemetery (I think it is no longer visible, although some graves were found.)   
Didn't realize there were 2 tour companies. Want to add yours to the wiki (and info on the restaurant)? My tour mentioned a Jewish cemetery, but only visited it if you booked the extended tour.

I took a long walk on Montjuic and there really is nothing there. The only thing I found was a few Olympic stadiums from when they held the Olympics there. I couldn't find any Jewish cemetery. Didn't notice anything else of interest, although I might have missed something.

Probably included in the Jewish tour is the Rashba's Shul which is a couple of blocks off La Rambla.

Summertime, I'm sure the beach is nice. There is a cable car that goes up to Montjuic, I think.

Plenty of shopping if that's your thing.

By the Rashba's shul, are you referring to the small hole in the wall Shul/museum? I don't remember them saying it was the Rashba's, and they definitely didn't mention there being 2 Shuls in the area.
OP said he's going next week, only reason I didn't mention the beach.

Offline yg99

• View Profile
« Reply #935 on: December 22, 2017, 09:31:04 AM »
I don't remember who told me that it is the Rashba's shul. I just googled it and wikipedia says it as well.

True that it is now a hole-in-the-wall but it was probably larger then. They only recently rediscovered it.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #936 on: December 22, 2017, 10:38:20 AM »
I don't remember who told me that it is the Rashba's shul. I just googled it and wikipedia says it as well.

True that it is now a hole-in-the-wall but it was probably larger then. They only recently rediscovered it.
Maybe I just forgot / missed it. Cool - just glad to know it's the same Shul and I didn't miss seeing one.

Offline drbrain

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Spain Master Thread - pesach in Barcelona, 2018
« Reply #937 on: December 27, 2017, 09:12:00 AM »
Planning on going to Spain in 2018 over Pesach.  Any tips on where to stay? Is there a place to by kosher for passover food in barcelona?

Offline DTM

• View Profile
« Reply #938 on: January 01, 2018, 10:58:35 AM »
I note that many interesting trip planning questions go unanswered, or are not completely or thoroughly dealt with; and I would love to learn how it worked out and how the questioners would answer their own questions upon their return. That would make the DDF an even  more valuable resource for trip planners. I propose that, while we may not have the time or inclination to do a trip report, when we have some time after returning, to please go back and quote your own question and answer it in the same thread for the benefit of others. Thank you in advance. 

Offline DTM

• View Profile
« Reply #939 on: January 01, 2018, 02:07:06 PM »
Please let us know what you decided, and how it went, as I am also planning a trip to Spain, iy’H in the Spring.