Author Topic: Best USB Network adapters?  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Best USB Network adapters?
« on: November 23, 2017, 11:12:02 PM »
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline srepw

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Best USB Network adapters?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 12:34:33 AM »
I don’t have experience with those specific models, but do have experience with USB network adapters. I would think that a directional antenna would be a better bet when using in a car, but really need more information to give accurate advice. Where would the hotspot be in respect to your car? I imagine the plan is to use this while parked. Is that your plan?
Please explain your exact needs so that I (and others) can try to give you accurate advice.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 12:42:24 AM by srepw »

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 01:28:03 AM »
No car involved. Using to pickup Optimum signal which is not being broadcast within my home.
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline srepw

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 02:24:47 AM »
Somehow I read that into your comment. Not sure how I did that.
To clarify, you plan on using these in your home to pick up a signal from outside your home. Correct? How far away from your home is that signal?

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 08:42:28 PM »
Don't know exactly...probably 2-3 houses away...I'm currently picking it up using a Bear Extender but I think these would be faster...

Offline srepw

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 11:00:44 PM »
What issues are you having with the bear extender? Is your connection to the WiFi weak or spotty? What exactly are you hoping to achieve with these new adapters?

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 12:45:49 AM »
It works fine but sometimes it's a bit slow. My impression is that these have newer technology and would be faster. Bear Extender uses 802.11n. The ones I posted I believe are 802.11ac.  I need to connect from an additional computer as and figure it's worth paying a little more for a faster connection.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 12:53:59 AM by Thingywingy »

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile

Offline srepw

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 01:41:38 AM »
It works fine but sometimes it's a bit slow. My impression is that these have newer technology and would be faster. Bear Extender uses 802.11n. The ones I posted I believe are 802.11ac.  I need to connect from an additional computer as and figure it's worth paying a little more for a faster connection.
I’m doubting that is because of 802.11n as 802.11n can still be quite fast. I would guess it’s because of your connection to the network. How strong is your connection and what speed are you getting?

Offline Yisroel Tech

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 04:36:10 PM »
Also, keep in mind that the Bear extender is probably a high-gain antenna and not all of the ones you linked are.

So you may - in that case - get a faster connection when you are closer, but because of distance, it will be even worse.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 08:35:15 PM »
Also, keep in mind that the Bear extender is probably a high-gain antenna and not all of the ones you linked are.

So you may - in that case - get a faster connection when you are closer, but because of distance, it will be even worse.
The Trendnet and TP Link say they are high gain...

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 08:54:43 PM »
The Trendnet and TP Link say they are high gain...
Only the TP-Link actually says High Gain, the Trendnet says High power. Might be the same but I'm not sure.

Beside the point that high gain might be 4-5 dBi at best. I highly doubt they come near to 7-9 dBi antenna devices, like the Alfa 9 dBi or the available (not sure if this is what he currently has, though) 7 dBi BearExtender.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 09:29:29 PM »
High gain is something in antenna itself? Could I buy separate antennas?

Are you saying you think the Alfa would be better than the Trendnet and TP link?

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 09:35:16 PM »
High gain is something in antenna itself? Could I buy separate antennas?

Are you saying you think the Alfa would be better than the Trendnet and TP link?
Yes for both. The antannas must be matching though.

How many bars do you get now with your bear extender? And which antenna do you have with it? This is the high gain antenna that works with some of them https://www.bearifi.com/products/heavy-duty-7-dbi-antenna-with-11-ft-rp-sma-extension-cable-and-magnetic-base

Offline srepw

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 11:44:15 PM »
Only the TP-Link actually says High Gain, the Trendnet says High power. Might be the same but I'm not sure.

Beside the point that high gain might be 4-5 dBi at best. I highly doubt they come near to 7-9 dBi antenna devices, like the Alfa 9 dBi or the available (not sure if this is what he currently has, though) 7 dBi BearExtender.
Very important to realize that higher dB will give you a better connection to a network that is further away, but will give you a weaker connection to networks close by. Trick is to get the sweet spot. (Why EXACTLY ‘‘tis is true I’ll leave to the techies, but I know this from experience. I think it may be bec of the fact that higher dbi gives a longer range, but much more focus. Somehow leads to fluctuation or maybe it picks up more noise. Not sure exactly, but practically speaking that seems to happen.)
We are all missing a lot of vital information if we really want to answer your question.
To help us, pls go to Speedtest.net and tell us what numbers you get. We also (and probably more importantly) need to get information on your connection speed. I believe there is no way to get a good answer without special software. I’ve never used this specifically, but it looks like a free option that should do the trick. Pls test and post the results you get.
(It looks reliable, but I’ve never used it, so do so at your own risk I guess. I doubt there’s much risk especially if you test it with any half decent virus protection software.)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 12:03:48 AM by srepw »

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 08:07:49 PM »
Yes for both. The antannas must be matching though.

How many bars do you get now with your bear extender? And which antenna do you have with it? This is the high gain antenna that works with some of them https://www.bearifi.com/products/heavy-duty-7-dbi-antenna-with-11-ft-rp-sma-extension-cable-and-magnetic-base
I was getting 5 bars. I bought the bigger antenna but strangely find that. 3rd antenna that came with a TP link router works best. The last few days my connection has been disconnecting often. I think it may be due the change from 2.4ghz to 5Ghz that was mentioned in Wifi Extender for Optimum Thread. Wonder if it would now be worth it to go for the TP Link AC1900...?