Author Topic: 24 hour mileage run to Hawaii - advice needed  (Read 545 times)

Offline Sammie

• Non-Elite Member
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
24 hour mileage run to Hawaii - advice needed
« on: December 03, 2017, 04:14:05 PM »
Hi,

I'm short 10,000 miles for my united 1k status this year and found a good price for a trip to HNL this week. Landing at 3:00 pm and departing the following day at 5:00 pm - giving me just over 24 hours on the ground.

So far from reading the trip reports and general searching it look like hiking up Diamonds head is worth it and I am tempted to taking a surfing lesson.

- Any good suggestions for a reasonable hotel? I traveling alone so I don't need anything too fancy.
- Should I do the hike or the surfing the first afternoon?
- Any other suggestions of what to do while there? Should I try to get tickets for the Arizona memorial? The entire evening is open.
- Should I rent a car? I wasn't planning on it but between the back and forth to the airport and then the Diamonds head, it seems like its wort it for $35 for the day.
- Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks in adnavce!
Sammie

Offline mordechain

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: 24 hour mileage run to Hawaii - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 08:11:39 PM »
I'd sleep...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15685
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 08:30:30 PM »
What have you done in HNL before?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Sammie

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 09:57:07 PM »
It will be my first time.

What have you done in HNL before?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15685
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 11:30:13 PM »
It's a nice hike, but personally I'd go snorkeling in Hanauma Bay, jetskiing on the North shore, kayaking off the east coast, Arizona memorial, surfing or SUP, etc.
And I'd definitely rent a car.

Get a Hyatt anniversary night for the Hyatt Place?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 12:09:01 AM »
I think you're landing too late to do the Arizona memorial the first day.  If you can, be there first thing the next day to get a ticket, if you can't get online in advance (try exactly at 7 am HST day before you want to go, which is when additional tickets are released, or have someone do it for you if en route).  It's a bit of a pain to get tickets so late...

If you decide to do Diamond Head first day, calculate how long it'll take you so you'll be back before dark, or be prepared to hike in dark.

If you want a great view of HNL and Diamond Head, drive up into the mountains.  There are some nice pullouts.  Check out @PBaruch's TR for a photo.

Remember that HNL is a city.  Driving there feels like NYC.  Definitely get a car, but don't drive to your hotel until you are DONE for the day.  Driving from the airport to Waikiki, if you stay there, is awful.  You'll wonder if you're actually in Hawaii.

All Dan mentioned sounds good.
AK,AZ,CA,CT,(DE),FL,HI,(IL),ME,MD,(MA),(MN),MT,NV,NH,NJ,NY,OR,PA,(RI),TX,UT,VT,VA,WA,WY

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 12:15:56 AM »
Sorry to go off topic and I guess I'm a noob with this. But how do you find a great deal on a mr with UA? I'm under the impression that they are dollar based and not distance based so it goes by how much you pay nor how far you flied. Where am I going wrong?

Offline yhaller14

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 02:09:37 AM »
Sorry to go off topic and I guess I'm a noob with this. But how do you find a great deal on a mr with UA? I'm under the impression that they are dollar based and not distance based so it goes by how much you pay nor how far you flied. Where am I going wrong?
With your impression, miles earned depends on amount paid only because it depends what fare class you book
"In the end we only regret the chances we didn't take"

Offline PieRSquare

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 05:47:04 AM »
Landing at 3, best case you get out of the airport around 3:30.

I'd go a pick up snorkel gear (assuming you have your own) and we were happy with Snorkel Bob. If you stay in Waikiki, then just find somewhere there to grab a drink and watch the sunset. IIRC, think the Hale Koa Bar sells to non-military and is cheap.

Early the next morning go down to Hanauma Bay when it opens (6:30ish) for an hour or two.

Then head to Diamond Head on your way back towards downtown. Plan at least an hour to an hour and a half to hike.

Next head to Punch Bowl Cemetery in place of the Arizona Memorial. Punch Bowl is Hawaii's equivalent of Arlington National Cemetery and includes a few monuments with a great view of Honolulu and the ocean. This way you can support the troops without worrying about tickets, parking, etc.

After that it will probably be close to time to head to the airport to return the car, etc.

Offline Sammie

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 08:22:17 AM »
Thanks everyone for your helpful advice!

@Dan The Hyatt place is sold out for that night.

@SSLPhD If you want a great view of HNL and Diamond Head, drive up into the mountains. - I think I will do that instead of the hike :-)

@mochjas Everyone was a noob at some point. Good question, my united account is not US based so I dont have the PQD requirement, just 4 flights on United metal and PQM.