Topic Wiki

Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other cards!

5% categories for fourth quarter of 2017:
Dept. stores and Walmart

There are three possibilities for how many points are earned. In the following examples, the effective rates are assuming you cash out the points for 1 cent each, but if you can transfer them to Sapphire Preferred or Ink, the effective rate could be much higher.
  • Cardholders without a Chase checking account
    1 base point per dollar for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories.
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 1 point, an effective rate of 1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 50 points, an effective rate of 5%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 500 points, an effective rate of 5%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7500 points, an effective rate of 5%.
  • Cardholders with a Chase checking account in older program
    1 base point per dollar plus 10% of the base points plus 10 points per transaction for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories.
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 11.1 points, an effective rate of 11.1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 61 points, an effective rate of 6.1%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 520 points, an effective rate of 5.2%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7660 points, an effective rate of 5.11%.
  • Cardholders with a Chase checking account in newer program
    1 base point per dollar for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories. Annual bonus of 10% of the total of base and bonus points (until February 2016).
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 1 point on the next statement and .1 points at year's end, an effective rate of 1.1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 50 points on the next statement and 5 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 500 points on the next statement and 50 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7500 points on the next statement and 750 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.

« Last edited by jj1000 on March 14, 2018, 12:39:32 PM »

Author Topic: Chase Freedom Master Thread  (Read 557844 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Chase Freedom
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 09:59:24 AM »
If you transfer freedom to sapphire preffered. The points then transfer 1:1 to airline programs like continental?
Yes.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ELIG

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 10:00:34 AM »
So in other words if you sell the points, freedom and sapphire preffered should be worth the same?

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 10:01:44 AM »
If you transfer from Freedom to Preferred and then use Preferred for an airline ticket does it get transferred for the airline ticket at 1:1 or 1:1.25?

Once tranferred, they are 1:1.25 like regular Sapphire points.  I recently purchased a ticket using only Freedom points which I tranferred to my new Sapphire.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 10:10:21 AM »
Yes

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 11:31:10 AM »
If you transfer from Freedom to Preferred and then use Preferred for an airline ticket does it get transferred for the airline ticket at 1:1 or 1:1.25?
Once tranferred, they are 1:1.25 like regular Sapphire points.  I recently purchased a ticket using only Freedom points which I tranferred to my new Sapphire.

Purchasing a ticket with the points is usually not as good a redemption value as miles. CO miles are worth 1.5 cents or more.

I have a Sapphire Preffered. In other words Sapphire Preffered and Freedom points are worth the same thing?

Like others have stated, transfer the freedom points to your Sapphire Preferred and you're good to go.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline ELIG

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 12:12:12 PM »
Thanks!

Offline springles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 02:00:36 PM »
lol yea because i know its possible bc i have done it
You may have been able to transfer to your spouse with a different name but their rules are still that you cannot transfer to anyone other than a spouse or partner.  Maybe it works because it allows for different last name's due to the domestic partner option.  But if you are transferring to a random person I think you are putting your points/accounts at risk.  Chances are chase doesnt stop it but if they do then you broke their terms and conditions and are subject to forfeiture. 

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 02:27:47 PM »
You may have been able to transfer to your spouse with a different name but their rules are still that you cannot transfer to anyone other than a spouse or partner.  Maybe it works because it allows for different last name's due to the domestic partner option.  But if you are transferring to a random person I think you are putting your points/accounts at risk.  Chances are chase doesnt stop it but if they do then you broke their terms and conditions and are subject to forfeiture.
i dont agree. when u r in ur ur page and go to combine points this is what comes up

nowhere does it say it needs to be a spouse or domestic partner. if that was the case they should post it so it is known otherwise it cant be enforced

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 03:09:54 PM »
nowhere does it say it needs to be a spouse or domestic partner. if that was the case they should post it so it is known otherwise it cant be enforced

They write it in their terms, so they can retroactively enforce it if they so choose to do.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 04:12:44 PM »
I'm just telling you what chase informed me when I was talking to them about this 2 weeks ago. As is usually the case, YMMV

Offline deals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2011, 06:47:35 PM »
if u have a chase checking linked to your freedom u better off using the freedom card as u get extra bonuses like 1 point for every $10 + 10 points for every transaction

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2011, 10:05:13 PM »
Plus you get 5% back on gas this quarter with the freedom card. I believe that if you have a chase checking and sapphire preferred card then the freedom card becomes the best card out there.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2011, 02:05:19 AM »
if u have a chase checking linked to your freedom u better off using the freedom card as u get extra bonuses like 1 point for every $10 + 10 points for every transaction

That's only after I've filled the spend requirement on my Sapphire Preferred. Are you sure it's 1 pt per $10? I think you mean 1pt per dollar....

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2011, 02:57:32 AM »
That's only after I've filled the spend requirement on my Sapphire Preferred. Are you sure it's 1 pt per $10? I think you mean 1pt per dollar....
Hey give the guy a break, he just had a baby....
It's 1 point per dollar plus a 10% bonus. You also get 10 points per purchase.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2011, 03:04:16 AM »
Hey give the guy a break, he just had a baby....
It's 1 point per dollar plus a 10% bonus. You also get 10 points per purchase.

Ah, so he said it right, albeit unclear. Besides for the 1pt per $1 spent, you get an extra 1 pt per $10 spent.

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2011, 09:34:08 AM »
i should realy have gotten the chase freedom thats alot of extra points

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2011, 09:55:05 AM »
should have

Why not get one now and pick up $100 bonus in the process?
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2011, 11:00:15 AM »
Why not get one now and pick up $100 bonus in the process?
Or $200...http://www.dansdeals.com/go/freedom200
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2011, 11:15:30 AM »
i should realy have gotten the chase freedom thats alot of extra points

You'd use this as your primary card? Better points for everyday spending than SPG? I also don't like that the bonus categories switch every three months, it's just too much to keep track of for a few bonus points (compared to SPGs 1.25 miles per dollar spent (in $20k increments).

I dunno if it works for 'long-term' or high-ticket items (e.g. electronics), as the freedom doesn't have the protections that the Sapphire Preferred/SPG have.

Or $200...http://www.dansdeals.com/go/freedom200

Just call it 20k UR :P

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2011, 01:32:22 PM »
You'd use this as your primary card? Better points for everyday spending than SPG? I also don't like that the bonus categories switch every three months, it's just too much to keep track of for a few bonus points (compared to SPGs 1.25 miles per dollar spent (in $20k increments).

I dunno if it works for 'long-term' or high-ticket items (e.g. electronics), as the freedom doesn't have the protections that the Sapphire Preferred/SPG have.

Just call it 20k UR :P
I think if you have the chase checking/sapphire preferred set up, then the freedom is worth more than the SPG.  Definitely for smaller purchases.  And the fact that it transfers to CO 1:1 is a nice advantage, especially with the ANA changes.  And its easy to track the rotating categories as they send you a text when its time to activate and all you do is reply.  5 points per $ spent is not a few extra points. 
For larger purchases and/or items you want the purchase protections then SPG might still be the way to go. 

And I agree that we should just call it 20k UR, thats really worth more than $200 anyway.