Author Topic: Japan Master Thread  (Read 128485 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Japan Master Thread
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2013, 01:03:19 AM »
That is good it gives you the daytime. You can go to Asakusa, which is reachable by subway once you get to the main train station in Tokyo, forgot which line (may be the Ginza line). That is the old Tokyo, lots of cool architecture and ppl running around in long japanese robes etc. There is a huge temple there which we did not go into of course. Then from there you can catch a subway to Akihabara, which is this huge electronic store, about 7 stories high with everything digital and then some. You can go up Tokyo tower to see the city from above, I was there at night. The ppl though are the best part. Anyone who knew any English when I asked them directions instead of telling me where to go they would walk me until I found it. This happened every single time and often it would take them out of their way by a good ten minuted. They are all very sweet and friendly and you should have a great time.
@Fan of Dan thank you very much!!! I followed your schedule exactly and it was wonderful! I loved Tokyo!

When I landed I went straight to exchange cash as mentioned the trains don't take CC. I got 10,000 yen for $100 IIRC. Throughout the day I spent half that money and ended up making a profit on the return as the dollar gained value throughout the day so in total I spent about $45.

The train system is very good in Tokyo and after reading the map and taking 2 trains I had the entire system figured out. Theyhhave English signs and announcements on the trains...

First I went to the temple as suggested and it was very neat just seeing the old Japanese architecture spread out around the entire city while getting there by train. Once you get there you walk by tons of stands selling local tourist products, most of it looked cheap and junky, but for regular pricing. I bought some of the same products in the Singapore china town for cheaper, so that was my price ccompare. Besides that the temple was neat to see and the people wearing robes etc...

Next I went to Akhihabra the electronic capital. I really wanted to use wifi and went to an internet cafe. Total waste of 15 minutes as they wanted me to buy a required membership and then internet time. Plus they didn't speak any English...

The street itself is loaded with animated comic and movie stores. I will hopefully never understand what I can only call an animation fetish these people have and created a culture out of it. I was a pretty weirded out walking though a 7 story building only selling animated movies and comic books of half dressed people...

My favorite part of this street was the arcades! They have 7 floor buildings packed wall to wall with every arcade game you'vesseen from the 80's to today. They were fantastic and totally over the top. I saw it as Dave and busters on steroids. The actual electronics aspect didn't impress me at all as mentioned before in 2013 basically everything comes out worldwide simultaneously unlike 10 years ago...

By now I had the subway system figured out and decided I had enough time to go to sky tree and get a nice view of Tokyo. Unfortunately it started raining and the information desk actually told me it would be a waste of time going up as the view is so limited. Never the less it was a nice area and the sky tree does look.very impressive. I'm glad I visited it instead of an Eiffel tower knockoff...

Next I headed back to the airport and took a nice shower in the united lounge on narita. They had local soaps given in each shower and were IME the best soaps I've ever used in a lounge easily competing with fancy soaps provided in Fairmonts and the type. I also went to the other star gold lounge which was closer to my gate and had a better selection of alcohol. Ask a Rabbi about drinking Sake. This lounge provides an open bar with what is suppose to be one of the best bottles of Sake in theworld.

Thanks again everyone for your very helpful advise. I would go back to Tokyo based on how much I enjoyed it my first short visit.

Also to note many young people spoke some english and Tokyo was full of very kind and helpful people.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2013, 02:43:22 AM »
@Fan of Dan thank you very much!!! I followed your schedule exactly and it was wonderful! I loved Tokyo!

Your welcome I'm glad it worked out so well! Thanks for writing up about it, and yes I completely agree Tokyo is a really awesome place with the best ppl!

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2013, 10:14:39 AM »
Tried, no go.
I lived there for a year and would exclusively use 7-11 ATM's to get cash using my CapOne debit card, even used it for an Amex CA once.  The JapanPost ATM's don't take foreign cards but 7-11 definitely should have been fine if you called your bank ahead of time.

Offline traveled

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2014, 07:41:11 AM »
Hey im traveling to Tokyo in early april for 3 days, anyone have any ideas of some must see things there? Not really intrested in shrines or temples though looking for attractions i cant do/see elsewhere?
Thanks!

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2014, 07:54:50 AM »
Fashion district in Harajuku, electronics district in Akihabara, New York Bar at the Park Hyatt where on a clear day you see Mount Fuji.  If you're there during cherry blossom season, make sure to go to Ueno Park.  Also a Japanese baseball game is like nothing you've never seen before.  Instead of trying to get tickets to a Yomiuri Giants game, go to the Yakult Swallows or if they're not in town the Chiba Lotte Marines.

Offline traveled

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2014, 12:16:19 PM »
Thanks for the tips, whats so awesome about Japanese baseball? Also is Disneyland in Tokyo worth going to?

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2014, 03:23:30 PM »
The stadium is literally divided down the middle between the fans of both teams.  Each team has a cheering section and each player has his own individual cheer.  The level of intensity is just much higher than here in America.

Disneyland is a lot of fun but not much different than in LA or Florida.  The lines are also massive and the park tends to sell out if you don't get there early enough.

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2014, 11:12:40 AM »
tsukiji fish market in the wee hours of the morning

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2014, 01:38:02 PM »
tsukiji fish market in the wee hours of the morning
+1 and be careful not to get in the way of the fishmongerers or you'll get yelled at in Japanese

Offline zsnyde

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2014, 10:31:41 AM »
I know its been talked alot about which Hyatt hotel in Tokyo, the PH or GH, but what about the new Andaz Tokyo? Trying to decide which hotel to stay at for my stay in January. Don't have status so not worried about upgrading to suites. Will be doing a lot of sightseeing, we don't have issues walking to the nearest subway either. Wanted to see what others would do

Offline morgs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: *a Gold, Avis Presidents circle, Hertz Presidents club
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2014, 08:50:29 AM »
Anyone know what the kosher food options in Japan are-I know that there is the kosher delica-but is there any rest., etc. there or other options-thanks in advance!!

Offline Marco Polo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2014, 09:30:54 AM »
I know its been talked alot about which Hyatt hotel in Tokyo, the PH or GH, but what about the new Andaz Tokyo? Trying to decide which hotel to stay at for my stay in January. Don't have status so not worried about upgrading to suites. Will be doing a lot of sightseeing, we don't have issues walking to the nearest subway either. Wanted to see what others would do
When are you going? I have a planned trip there 1/8-1/15.

Anyone have any recent tips or ideas for Tokyo?
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2014, 09:31:42 AM »
Why Japan in January?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2014, 09:37:06 AM »
Why Japan in January?
Next time i can get away and the wife will be in between school semesters.

Added with the JAL F availability, it sounds like it may be nice.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2014, 08:22:41 AM »
Not sure if people know about this or not, but i came across a free tour service in Japan. All they ask is that you pay for your guide if there is a charge and a "simple meal."

It seems the guides book very quickly, so best to apply in advance.

See link to more information here.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2014, 10:53:35 AM »
Anyone have any insight as to which Hyatt i should stay at in Tokyo? PH, HR or Andaz seem to be the options. A combination of two would be fine as well.

TIA
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2014, 11:17:25 AM »
PH is always the obvious choice.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2014, 11:20:48 AM »
PH is always the obvious choice.
Do i "need" to stay there the whole stay, or over Shabbat +1,2 days fine to experience it?
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline ual902

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2014, 12:40:44 AM »
Anyone have any insight as to which Hyatt i should stay at in Tokyo? PH, HR or Andaz seem to be the options. A combination of two would be fine as well.

TIA

I stayed @ the HR Tokyo, with a friend the twin beds were kind of small but you get what you pay for with only 12K a night, go to Binyomin Edri for shabat he is  a allot of fun

Offline MEIR613

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2014, 07:20:18 AM »

TIA
In the PH now. Gorgeous bar and views. It's 41 floors up, don't think I would stay here for Shabbos.