Author Topic: ATT Blackberry data plan  (Read 1188 times)

Offline bosoxfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
ATT Blackberry data plan
« on: March 17, 2009, 06:15:40 PM »
Does anyone know if i can get around paying ATT the bberry data plan and still access email from bberry curve. i've heard that you just register your SIM card for data plan with reg phone, by giving them my standard cell IMEI and then inserting the SIM into bberry and access email. Does anyone know if this is true or have any other way about this?

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: ATT Blackberry data plan
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 01:45:57 AM »
apparently you missed this thread:
http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=57.0

But basically, no, not really. Blackberrys, like all push-data centric devices, require a third party server to push data along a propietary protocol. In plain english, the blackberry needs a Blackberry Server to give you all the great stuff that makes a Blackberry worth having (push email, etc). You can "trick" AT&T into giving you a plain old data plan rather easily, but you won't get BB email without paying a monthly fee to rent server space. If I am not mistaken, you can however get it to work with pop3 or imap set to check on intervals like any other standard phone (even a moto RAZR can do that), however you won't be getting the BB email experience.

In my opinion, without the BB server, a Blackberry is just an expensive texting phone. I recommend you either pay for a BB plan or get a device that doesn't need one (windows mobile, Palm, Nokia S60, etc), plenty of which are available on AT&T.

(If you like the BB style, I recommend a Nokia E71- very capable phone, simple to use, VERY SLEEK, and does all the stuff a BB does but doesn't need a proprietary server to do so. If you want more raw power, check out the Fuze).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 01:54:12 AM by Mordy »
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com