23 (14.8%)
I'm frum and I (mostly) don't daven every day
13 (8.4%)
I'm not frum and I (mostly) daven daily
2 (1.3%)
I'm not frum and I (mostly) don't daven daily
4 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 155

Author Topic: Do you Daven?  (Read 60865 times)

Offline wayfe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Do you Daven?
« on: January 10, 2018, 05:39:32 PM »
Mods, I hope this allowed.

So I'm part of the small percentage of female DDF'ers and I'd like to pose a poll to you majority holders.

Are you frum and do you daven daily?

The reason I'm asking is that my husband (we're a BY type Chassidish family from BP and pretty much fits in with the DDF male demographic) does not and when I finally reached out for support from a mentor I was told I am in very, very good company.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:43:21 PM by wayfe »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline iAm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Do you Daven?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 05:45:45 PM »
lol this is extremely prevelant and one of the things that's very misunderstood in shidduchim
iThink. Ergo. iAm

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 05:47:04 PM »
why not add an option that you try to daven with minyan(or mostly daven with minyan)
#TYH

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 05:50:05 PM »

So I'm part of the small percentage of female DDF'ers and I'd like to pose a poll to you majority holders.

The reason I'm asking is that my husband (we're a BY type Chassidish family from BP and pretty much fits in with the DDF male demographic) does not and when I finally reached out for support from a mentor I was told I am in very, very good company.
Does he daven sometimes? Shabbos? With a minyan when he does?

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 05:53:39 PM »
Does he daven sometimes? Shabbos? With a minyan when he does?

During the week: Occasionally
On Shabbos: 50/50
Shul on Shabbos: Occasionally

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline iAm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 05:56:09 PM »
Here is my theory: Most married males, over time, begin to daven more often. This often occurs as they are raising kids and sending them off to school, and recognize that they should be some form of a role model if they want their kids to get up for minyan in yeshiva.

Consequently, girls grow up in a home where they see their dad davening (him having already evolved), and assume this is the norm. Hence, they expect this as a bare minimum from potential spouses, and are shocked when their husbands in their 20s/30s don't go to minyan.

However, my experience is that davening penetration in the 20s/30s group is quite low, even among people who are 'good' (for lack of a better term) people.
iThink. Ergo. iAm

Offline gingyguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 06:00:28 PM »
gotta have an option i daven just not to the same G-d and dont daven not jewish
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 06:03:02 PM »
lol this is extremely prevelant and one of the things that's very misunderstood in shidduchim

Please explain to me why it's an issue?

I'm not a new bambi-eyed kallah. However, I understand that we are both sacrificing (time and money, etc.) so much to belong to a Jewish community. So this confuses me. If he told me he's done with this 'fake frumness' and wants us to move to a non-jewish community- I might even be ok with it.

Why is it that my father would not dream of skipping a minyan and my husband's father walks over a mile to shul every Shabbos and yet my husband doesn't seem to see this as an important aspect in raising a Jewish family?
— Richard Feynman

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 06:03:30 PM »

Wait, you asking about men or women??

Offline iAm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 06:06:16 PM »
Why is it that my father would not dream of skipping a minyan and my husband's father walks over a mile to shul every Shabbos and yet my husband doesn't seem to see this as an important aspect in raising a Jewish family?

Key word being father, thats why i wrote this

Here is my theory: Most married males, over time, begin to daven more often. This often occurs as they are raising kids and sending them off to school, and recognize that they should be some form of a role model if they want their kids to get up for minyan in yeshiva.

Consequently, girls grow up in a home where they see their dad davening (him having already evolved), and assume this is the norm. Hence, they expect this as a bare minimum from potential spouses, and are shocked when their husbands in their 20s/30s don't go to minyan.

However, my experience is that davening penetration in the 20s/30s group is quite low, even among people who are 'good' (for lack of a better term) people.
iThink. Ergo. iAm

Offline yhaller14

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Sixt plat, national ee, united 1k, hertz pc,
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 06:06:49 PM »

(we're a BY type Chassidish family from BP and pretty much fits in with the DDF male demographic)
How did u get to that?
"In the end we only regret the chances we didn't take"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 06:07:16 PM »

I'm not a new bambi-eyed kallah. However, I understand that we are both sacrificing (time and money, etc.) so much to belong to a Jewish community. So this confuses me. If he told me he's done with this 'fake frumness' and wants us to move to a non-jewish community- I might even be ok with it.

Orthoprax?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 06:10:48 PM »
gotta have an option i daven just not to the same G-d and dont daven not jewish

Those can be included in the last 2 options
— Richard Feynman

Offline yhaller14

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Sixt plat, national ee, united 1k, hertz pc,
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 06:10:50 PM »
"In the end we only regret the chances we didn't take"

Offline iAm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 06:10:56 PM »
However, I understand that we are both sacrificing (time and money, etc.) so much to belong to a Jewish community. So this confuses me. If he told me he's done with this 'fake frumness' and wants us to move to a non-jewish community- I might even be ok with it.

The starting point is that men that dont go to minyan, dont view going to minyan as "fake frumness" at all. They just dont do it. There's also the fact that male education (unfortunately or not), does not put nearly as much an emphasis on it as female education.
iThink. Ergo. iAm

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 06:11:05 PM »

If he told me he's done with this 'fake frumness' and wants us to move to a non-jewish community- I might even be ok with it.

If we define fake frumness as acting frum but not having any relationship with gd (ie not davening to him etc), then I hear what you are saying. Otherwise this needs work....

Better question, why does it bother YOU that he doesn't daven? Just cultural, or you are disturbed by the lack of commitment? Do you daven?

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 06:12:30 PM »
— Richard Feynman

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 06:13:10 PM »

very well said! i totally agree with this theory
#TYH

Offline HBS

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 06:17:46 PM »

I think there are a few categories of people.
There are those that truly don't believe, there are those that deep down believe but are not willing to push themselves, there are those that truly believe and try, but may slip up occasionally.
This is true for all mitzvos, including davening.
If you went through your entire life doing things by rote and not by having a meaningful relationship with God, then the second it gets rough (or you find that there are enough people like you) you will slack off. And maybe not show up/daven at all.
The difference between our father's generation and our generation was that in some sense, lines were drawn more clearly. To deviate would put you in a different group.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 06:17:49 PM »

I think it has to do with how connected you are to davening in the first place. And the fact that many in the younger generations feel less connected to going to shul and davening as out parents and grandparents.
"Not all who wander are lost"