Author Topic: Which cards to apply for, and in what order?  (Read 10280 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Which cards to apply for, and in what order?
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:28:44 PM »
Personal Question:

I want to apply for a number of new cards - How should I do it?

I'd like to get:

--Chase Hyatt (because I have a Diamond status match which expires Aug 20)
--Amex Plat (for the 100k match)
--Chase Southwest (just because I'd try to do it as the same time as the Chase Hyatt to try and avoid to pulls)
--Citi AA 75k Visa
--Citi AA 75k Amex
-- any other major offer i'm missing?

My history:

10/7/10 - Applied and approved for AMEX Gold (got 75k)
4/11/11 - Applied and approved for Chase BA (got 100k)
6/20/11 - Applied and approved for Chase Sapphire (got 100k)

What would be the best way to go about applying for these cards to maximize my results? (e.g. Should I do the Citi cards before the Amex? Citi before Chase, even though I need the Hyatt approval before 8/20? etc etc)

Your help is appreciated!

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline dans fan

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Which cards to apply for, and in what order?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 12:10:10 AM »
Personal Question:

I want to apply for a number of new cards - How should I do it?

I'd like to get:

--Chase Hyatt (because I have a Diamond status match which expires Aug 20)
--Amex Plat (for the 100k match)
--Chase Southwest (just because I'd try to do it as the same time as the Chase Hyatt to try and avoid to pulls)
--Citi AA 75k Visa
--Citi AA 75k Amex
-- any other major offer i'm missing?

My history:

10/7/10 - Applied and approved for AMEX Gold (got 75k)
4/11/11 - Applied and approved for Chase BA (got 100k)
6/20/11 - Applied and approved for Chase Sapphire (got 100k)

What would be the best way to go about applying for these cards to maximize my results? (e.g. Should I do the Citi cards before the Amex? Citi before Chase, even though I need the Hyatt approval before 8/20? etc etc)

Your help is appreciated!

you only have 3 active acc?

Offline dans fan

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 12:13:08 AM »
(from the info you stated being min)i would do all the ones you mentioned using double bro method

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 12:49:24 AM »
you only have 3 active acc?

No, I have a few other older ones:

A AMEX JetBlue about a year old, a Charles Schwab Visa 2% Cashback about two years old, an AMEX Blue Cash about 4 years old. (The latter two have sizeable credit lines.)

(from the info you stated being min)i would do all the ones you mentioned using double bro method

ALL of them? That would result in a minimum of three hard pulls... You that think that's the route I should go?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 02:01:23 AM »
ALL of them? That would result in a minimum of three hard pulls... You that think that's the route I should go?

Yes. Do 'em all at once and they won't see eachother's pulls/new accounts. Good luck!
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 02:05:26 AM »
Yes. Do 'em all at once and they won't see eachother's pulls/new accounts. Good luck!

Okie doke... app-o-rama, here I come...

Am I missing any other major offers (as long as Im gonna do this)?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 02:06:35 AM »
AMEX Business Gold?
Chase CO or UA?
Citi Premier 50K?
http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=8028.0
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 02:07:55 AM »
Okie doke... app-o-rama, here I come...

Am I missing any other major offers (as long as Im gonna do this)?

Check this post for lots of current offers. Use the links on that page to support this site.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 02:12:32 AM »
http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=8028.0

Check this post for lots of current offers. Use the links on that page to support this site.

Yep. I have that site "favorited." Just wanted to know what you guys think are the top offers out there beyond the ones I mentioned.

AMEX Business Gold?
Chase CO or UA?
Citi Premier 50K?

How far do you think I should take this? Go for ALL of them? Or would you recommend only, say, five?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 02:15:24 AM »
Also -- since I have two recent Chase cards, and live in NY, I wanted to freeze both E's to force Chase to pull from TU.

However, if I want to apply for a number of different cards, including AMEX and Citi, that won't work will it?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 02:17:59 AM »
How far do you think I should take this? Go for ALL of them? Or would you recommend only, say, five?

The sky's the limit, but I'd stick with 3 (4 is pushing it IMHO) per issuer and as many issuers as you wish. Try to keep the apps (of different issuers) as close to eachother as possible, so they don't see eachother's inquiries/new accounts.

Also -- since I have two recent Chase cards, and live in NY, I wanted to freeze both E's to force Chase to pull from TU.

However, if I want to apply for a number of different cards, including AMEX and Citi, that won't work will it?

First apply for the other issuers, then freeze and apply with Chase. Just a heads up, when you freeze and then simultaneously apply for multiple Chase cards (one in each browser) you risk getting multiple pulls from Chase, one for each Chase card you apply for.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 02:25:58 AM »
Try to keep the apps (of different issuers) as close to eachother as possible, so they don't see eachother's inquiries/new accounts.

You mean if I am applying for two chase cards and two amex cards, that I should submit both chase apps in close proximity to both amex apps, right? (Because, I obviously want to submit both chase apps in close proximity to one another...)

First apply for the other issuers, then freeze and apply with Chase. Just a heads up, when you freeze and then simultaneously apply for multiple Chase cards (one in each browser) you risk getting multiple pulls from Chase, one for each Chase card you apply for.

Interesting... I mean, I know that's always a risk, but isn't the entire point of the double/triple browser method to avoid multiple pulls (from the same issuer)?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 02:28:31 AM »
You mean if I am applying for two chase cards and two amex cards, that I should submit both chase apps in close proximity to both amex apps, right? (Because, I obviously want to submit both chase apps in close proximity to one another...)

Exactly.

Interesting... I mean, I know that's always a risk, but isn't the entire point of the double/triple browser method to avoid multiple pulls (from the same issuer)?

Right. I'm just saying that freezing might mess with that, for example, if they have to manually pull your un-frozen report, and they do it for each app. I think this is what happened for me with BofA.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 02:29:57 AM »
Right. I'm just saying that freezing might mess with that, for example, if they have to manually pull your un-frozen report, and they do it for each app. I think this is what happened for me with BofA.

I got ya... Well, even if they have to pull my TU twice, it would be worth it to me as it is nearly devoid of all inquiry activity.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 02:31:18 AM »
I got ya... Well, even if they have to pull my TU twice, it would be worth it to me as it is nearly devoid of all inquiry activity.

Fair enough, just making a general point.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 02:32:51 AM »
Fair enough, just making a general point.

Much obliged. I will commence App-O-Rama after the bars, and will duly report back!

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 02:33:58 AM »
Much obliged. I will commence App-O-Rama after the bars, and will duly report back!

Looking forward, I think I'm going to shepp nachas. Don't forget to nag recon (if Ch"V necessary) until they are all approved. G'luck with the bar exam and the app marathon.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 02:44:06 AM »
Looking forward, I think I'm going to shepp nachas. Don't forget to nag recon (if Ch"V necessary) until they are all approved. G'luck with the bar exam and the app marathon.

Many thanks!

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 02:46:07 AM »

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 08:37:59 AM »
Exactly.

thats what happened to me with chase i applied for two cards got two pulls on TU