Author Topic: How do U define yourself, what does it mean & how would you like to see your kid  (Read 1484 times)

Offline JoeyShmoe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I grew up Heimish, my Father was real Litvish but sent his boys to Chasidish schools (he put on a Shtreimel a couple of years ago at my Brother's wedding, more of a peer pressure/social thing than anything else). As a teenager I went to a Hungarian Yeshiva with a Rebbe (the type that became Chassidish after the war), which was also the Rosh Yeshiva and I consider myself a Talmid/Chusid there. So, if I had to label myself, I'd probably consider myself Heimish/Chasidish more toward Chasidish (although I don't really learn Chassidish Sefurim).

I would like my kids to grow up and find themselves a Moreh Derech (not necessarily the same as mine), regardless of the label, as long as they have a Talmid Chuchem to follow and be in touch with. My kids know that I don't do anything without asking my Rebbe first, that I have the utmost respect for my Rebbe and that I'll do whatever he tells me in a heartbeat. I would like for them to have someone like that too
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
I grew up Heimish, my Father was real Litvish but sent his boys to Chasidish schools (he put on a Shtreimel a couple of years ago at my Brother's wedding, more of a peer pressure/social thing than anything else). As a teenager I went to a Hungarian Yeshiva with a Rebbe (the type that became Chassidish after the war), which was also the Rosh Yeshiva and I consider myself a Talmid/Chusid there. So, if I had to label myself, I'd probably consider myself Heimish/Chasidish more toward Chasidish (although I don't really learn Chassidish Sefurim).

I would like my kids to grow up and find themselves a Moreh Derech (not necessarily the same as mine), regardless of the label, as long as they have a Talmid Chuchem to follow and be in touch with. My kids know that I don't do anything without asking my Rebbe first, that I have the utmost respect for my Rebbe and that I'll do whatever he tells me in a heartbeat. I would like for them to have someone like that too
Just a side note.. Sometimes I don't know if 'not doing anything without asking my Rebbe'  was really the way Hashem intended us to be. Like somehow it inhibits personal growth.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline wayfe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Thank you for your post. Do you have a more granular definition of Chassidish? Any specific sect?

And PLEASE don't leave out the important question: what does your own label mean for you? Is it about dress code, Minhagim, participating in certain activities, schooling, etc?

I don't belong to any specific sect because I don't really I identify with my father's sect and my husband isn't really connected to his sect.

As a teenager I found Chabad philosophy online and it really spoke to me. I don't consider myself Chabad, because I don't belong or participate in the Chabad community events.

My definition of Chassidish means ascribing to the philosophy set forth by the Ba'al Shem Tov and (ideally) finding a Rebbe to guide you.

My label defines my philosophy and gives direction to achieving my goal/mission in life.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
ó Richard Feynman

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Just a side note.. Sometimes I don't know if 'not doing anything without asking my Rebbe'  was really the way Hashem intended us to be. Like somehow it inhibits personal growth.
Thread rule violation.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Thread rule violation.
Just went back to read them. I wasn't putting it down. It was just a thought. But that's ok. We can carry on.

"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
I would respond to your comment ,if not for your violation of the rules I set in the OP. I will therefore ask mods to delete your post as well as others that don't stick to the rules set forth in the OP.

Not sure why you don't consider yourself that way? Isn't your mother Jewish?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
I strive to be a ben torah and talmid chochom and hope my children do the same.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline JoeyShmoe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I should rephrase that to "I don't make a big decisions without getting a Bracha from my Rebbe"
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
I strive to be a ben torah and talmid chochom and hope my children do the same.
What do those labels mean to you? Please be as detailed and as coherent as only you could be.
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• View Profile
What do those labels mean to you? Please be as detailed and as coherent as only you could be.
Someone who lives a life based on the torah and learning it.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
עס ווענדט זיך וואו מ׳רעדט.

What is accurate on a JS discussion, might not suffice for the purpose of this thread.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile

Thanks for your meaningful response.

I actually feel that I lack in my hiskashrus in that I donít write to the Rebbe any way near what it should be. Sometimes my wife tells me how it bothers her that I donít do it enough. She says that in her home there was more emphasis about the Rebbe.

I envy those that write to the Rebbe often. It might have been lack of a good mashpia during my formative years, but itís definitely lacking in my life, and I lament it. I occasionally try to rectify this, but so far any initiative has unfortunately faltered with the everyday grind of life.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile

Iím having trouble understanding this
Letís use the label ďLubavitcherĒ as an example. If one is labeled as such, what does it mean? Is it one that goes to the ohel, or one that doesnít? Can one be a Lubaitcher with a trimmed beard? How about nusach hatefillah, is nusach Ari davening a requirement? How about the other way around? Is anyone who davens nusach Ari considered a Lubavitcher? And the list goes on and on.

So without defining what a label means, it doesnít say much. In order to avoid going into any negativity, itís important to stick exclusively to self-labeling.
-- Dan

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
Thanks @ExGingi for the thread. Very thought provoking. I'd label myself as a frum yid, but don't think i can specify more. I was raised by one derech, taught in another, and have grown to be my own mix of it all. I pray my child (and Imy"h, one day children) grow to be strong in their religion, while finding a balance in the struggles we have in our world, unfortunately, a prayer that becomes bigger with every passing day.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
Was judge Charles P Sifton a Lubavitcher?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:36:04 AM by ExGingi »
-- Dan