Author Topic: How do U define yourself, what does it mean & how would you like to see your kid  (Read 32286 times)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Even according to me it's deoraysa from אל־יצא איש ממקמו.

Hilarious how you darshan pesukim. Maybe it means not to leave the country.wtvr. it's a joke

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
@Definitions try chabad it will give you a very different perspective from what you learned until now... If you want...
If that's too spicy, try the teriyaki salmon.

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile

It took me a minute to get what you're saying. I think I understand is it...

And I don't like shopping for a religion
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
It took me a minute to get what you're saying. I think I understand is it...
The comment was directed at ADG.

Online cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Again no disrespect, but for someone seeking clarity, how on earth is chabbad a good address?

I may be missing something, but Chabad is all about nistar and secrets. Not clarity.
It works well if you believe everything, but its the last place I would send someone who needs everything logical.

That’s quite a statement to make. I just sent someone who is very logically oriented a few pages of the Baal Hatanya’s Shaar Hayichud Vehaemunah regarding a point we were discussing and he found it very logical and intuitive. To say that there is no appeal in Chabad chassidus to someone logical implies that you are thoroughly familiar with the whole body of Chabad thought or at least all of its mashpi’im. I’ve never stepped foot in 770 but even I know that there’s a lot more to it than going to mass farbrenghens and grabbing tourists to leig tefillin....

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Whats wrong with trying different outlooks and learning about new perspectives about judaism. It is very easy to say one does not work and therefore it all doesnt work... If we were limited to the shallow perspective we were taught as a kid/ in yeshiva/ the way our parents understand- well that would suck:)

It is very healthy to try and learn more about judaism especially when it is holly seforim. Torah is so vast and deep, and we must learn it thoroughly and continuously to satisfy our deeper selves and to be mechadesh in Torah.

Every soul has a unique purpose and thus a unique cheleck in torah that he especially can uncover.

Only those that have a weak perspective/ understanding cannot stand to incorporate and increase learning because it might shake their current system.   

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Whats wrong with trying different outlooks and learning about new perspectives about judaism. It is very easy to say one does not work and therefore it all doesnt work... If we were limited to the shallow perspective we were taught as a kid/ in yeshiva/ the way our parents understand- well that would suck:)

It is very healthy to try and learn more about judaism especially when it is holly seforim. Torah is so vast and deep, and we must learn it thoroughly and continuously to satisfy our deeper selves and to be mechadesh in Torah.

Every soul has a unique purpose and thus a unique cheleck in torah that he especially can uncover.

Only those that have a weak perspective/ understanding cannot stand to incorporate and increase learning because it might shake their current system.   
+1, just I think you're quoting the wrong person.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
+1, just I think you're quoting the wrong person.
No. He was quoting the guy who was joking about the cavalier way he said to "try" a entirely different ideology, way of life and philosophy as if it is like trying a new dish at a restaurant.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
No. He was quoting the guy who was joking about the cavalier way he said to "try" a entirely different ideology, way of life and philosophy as if it is like trying a new dish at a restaurant.
Now you’re writing in in accordance with your signature line.  ;)

We’re well aware of your sharp and, at times sarcastic, wit. But that hasn’t yet been deemed your official DDF job.  ;D
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yelped

• View Profile
Got it. Thanks. I think his response addresses those concerns. If you have issues with something you don't understand and that you only know some bits and bobs from hearsay, then please avail yourself of the smorgasbord of holy seforim to help guide you.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
Got it. Thanks. I think his response addresses those concerns. If you have issues with something you don't understand and that you only know some bits and bobs from hearsay, then please avail yourself of the smorgasbord of holy seforim to help guide you.
hearsay is heresy.

Offline etech0

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
hearsay is heresy.
Lol. I did not mean to call Mesorah hearsay, just meant that for someone who never actually learnt Yiddishkeit, but somehow expects to just know what Yiddishkeit is all about, has about the same level of accurate information as hearsay.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:44:40 PM by yelped »

Offline th0306

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
I've been thinking of starting this thread for quite a long time.

We see many labels thrown around. Orthodox, frum, BT, FFB, Yeshivish, Chassidish, Lubavitch, Belz, Satmar, etc etc.

I personally detest labels, and try to avoid using them whenever practical, and prefer to use an actual description where possible, or at least a thought provoking statement.

I think it is terrible when we label other people, but anyone can label themselves. But when doing that, what does it mean? I think one of the tests is to ask how one would like to see their kids grow up. Are Levushim, Minhagim, etc. part of your definition?

Please share YOUR OWN label, what it means in your own eyes, and how you would cast that on your kids (assuming you would want to see the same, or what you would actually like to see).

Please try to use ONLY positive language, wherever possible. And please no disparaging remarks about others, or dispute the validity of their definitions. There are no right or wrong answers, it's purely about what one's OWN label is and what it means to THEMSELVES.

I will begin with how I label myself when pushed hard enough for one:

"I strive to be a Lubavitcher." (That entire sentence is my own label for myself, and I hope it will always be).

If you strive to be a Lubavitcher - then you hope one day your label will change - to being a Lubavitcher and not striving.....

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
The shortest way to say what it means to me, is that I see only this as the kitzur shulchan aruch of what it takes to be a Lubavitcher. I also think that considering every word of the Rebbe an integral true part of Torah is a requirement.

From today's "קיצור שו"ע" of being a Lubavitcher (I am sure this will resonate with all Lubavitchers out there, including @aygart, @EliJelly and even the Pravda Editorial Board):

-- Dan

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
From today's "קיצור שו"ע" of being a Lubavitcher (I am sure this will resonate with all Lubavitchers out there, including @aygart, @EliJelly and even the Pravda Editorial Board):

Resonates well with every Yid. The Chofetz Chaim's Emunah too was a tangible metzius.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com

Since you tagged me here, please explain what this has to do with Lubavitch other than where it is printed or who it is quoting?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
Since you tagged me here, please explain what this has to do with Lubavitch other than where it is printed or who it is quoting?

We've already established that every Yid is a Lubavitcher, hence this has to do with Lubavitch.

And Lubavitch being (the main branch of חסידות חב"ד) it is about the necessity and mitzvah to bring the אמונה into ידיעה והשגה!
-- Dan

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
We've already established that every Yid is a Lubavitcher, hence this has to do with Lubavitch.

And Lubavitch being (the main branch of חסידות חב"ד) it is about the necessity and mitzvah to bring the אמונה into ידיעה והשגה!
For that matter Lubavitch doesn't exist.
Feelings don't care about your facts