Author Topic: Clear  (Read 1539 times)

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Clear
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 01:20:26 AM »
Just used Clear tonight at LAX T2.

There was an agent at the Clear lane at the bottom of the staircase who opened the rope to the main staircase up to screening. At the top of the stairs, there was the regular Pre-Check lane with like 4 people and another roped-off Clear area with one person.

Needless to say, I made it through slower than if I would've stayed with the TSA Pre-Check ID line, as the four people were long gone by the time I finished up with Clear.

Seriously, all that just so you don't have to show an ID??
I thought it looked like that, but ti didn't make sense so I assumed I was missing something. I guess not. And I assume you are showing ID to the clear agent at the bottom?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:36:40 AM by thaber »

Offline mendyt

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 01:23:54 AM »

There was an agent at the Clear lane at the bottom of the staircase who opened the rope to the main staircase up to screening. At the top of the stairs, there was the regular Pre-Check lane with like 4 people and another roped-off Clear area with one person.

Needless to say, I made it through slower than if I would've stayed with the TSA Pre-Check ID line, as the four people were long gone by the time I finished up with Clear.

Thanks for reporting

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2017, 08:53:21 AM »

The theory for it working is in a case with more than 4 people at the pre-check line.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2017, 10:07:43 AM »
The theory for it working is in a case with more than 4 people at the pre-check line.

But that's a 1:4 ratio!
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. J. Paul Getty

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2017, 10:03:19 AM »
Just to be clear, Clear doesn't advertise that they take you to the head of the metal detector line, just the head of the TSA ID and ticket check line. They may have an informal deal with a local TSA team that gets them that, but that's not something you can count on. I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes in the line to have TSA check my ID even out of all the NYC and DC airports which I fly out of all the time, so Clear really isn't worth the time it would take for me to sign up, even if it was free.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2017, 11:59:18 AM »
Just to be clear, Clear doesn't advertise that they take you to the head of the metal detector line, just the head of the TSA ID and ticket check line. They may have an informal deal with a local TSA team that gets them that, but that's not something you can count on. I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes in the line to have TSA check my ID even out of all the NYC and DC airports which I fly out of all the time, so Clear really isn't worth the time it would take for me to sign up, even if it was free.

Well, the screening is right after the ID check. It may be crowded with a wait to get stuff on the belt etc, but not much of a line there per se.

It seems that you still end up waiting about the same amount for someone, just that it's a Clear rep in this case.

I guess it would help if the ID line is endlessly long, but the last time I encountered that was like 5 years ago in EWR without TSA Pre.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. J. Paul Getty

Offline jose34

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2018, 12:50:43 PM »
Anyone have more of comparison between CLEAR and Global Entry?
Does CLEAR when coming into the country also?