Author Topic: Police Officer Struck By Hit-And-Run Driver In Times Square.  (Read 45010 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Police Officer Struck By Hit-And-Run Driver In Times Square.
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2018, 10:37:05 AM »
I think you should read up on sentencing in NY before you just throw out numbers. Violent B felonies have all different kinds of sentences including flat sentences and indeterminate sentences.

There is an 18 year old kid from a frum family sitting at Rikers now for doing almost the same thing. He ran over 2 people while driving one stolen car and carjacking another.

You're proposing that he be sentences to 25 years. That means you want an 18 year old kid to waste away his prime years for this. What happens when he gets out? He'll be close to 40 with no skills, no job, criminal record. What have you created by imprisoning him for that period of time?

People throw out numbers like they dont mean anything. 25 years for doing something stupid maybe because he was high or drunk and didnt want to get caught?!? Jail is not there to remedy stupid.
Sorry, but *attempted murder* deserves punishment. Full stop. End of story.

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline LNS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2018, 11:23:12 AM »
I think you should read up on sentencing in NY before you just throw out numbers. Violent B felonies have all different kinds of sentences including flat sentences and indeterminate sentences.

There is an 18 year old kid from a frum family sitting at Rikers now for doing almost the same thing. He ran over 2 people while driving one stolen car and carjacking another.

You're proposing that he be sentences to 25 years. That means you want an 18 year old kid to waste away his prime years for this. What happens when he gets out? He'll be close to 40 with no skills, no job, criminal record. What have you created by imprisoning him for that period of time?

People throw out numbers like they dont mean anything. 25 years for doing something stupid maybe because he was high or drunk and didnt want to get caught?!? Jail is not there to remedy stupid.
\

its truly sad that someone has to spend the prime years of his life in jail i agree but its also terrible for him to be spending those same years being high and drunk and making bad choices which lead to bad "mistakes". I agree 25 years is way to much but i think a little time out could help put things into perspective for this kid.

Offline TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2018, 11:41:33 AM »
\

its truly sad that someone has to spend the prime years of his life in jail i agree but its also terrible for him to be spending those same years being high and drunk and making bad choices which lead to bad "mistakes". I agree 25 years is way to much but i think a little time out could help put things into perspective for this kid.
How long do you suggest we give this 20yo “kid” ? He was entering the prime of his life.
https://www.vosizneias.com/289312/2018/01/16/orange-county-ca-report-u-penn-jewish-student-reportedly-stabbed-more-than-20-times/

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2018, 11:47:52 AM »
[
Still ongoing.
And non-frum women too. What difference does it make who his victims were?

He was not charged with attempted murder. His highest charge is Robbery. Does he deserve time, for sure. 25 years, may as well give him life. He needs help more than anything else.
I have no opinion on what he deserves. I do know that he needs to be locked away in either a jail, of some sort or a mental institution with barbed wire. All to ensure he doesn't go on another murder spree.
Just keeping everyone safe.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2018, 12:08:38 PM »
How long do you suggest we give this 20yo “kid” ? He was entering the prime of his life.
https://www.vosizneias.com/289312/2018/01/16/orange-county-ca-report-u-penn-jewish-student-reportedly-stabbed-more-than-20-times/
I guess probation so he can repay his debt to society?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2018, 12:43:50 PM »
Sorry, but *attempted murder* deserves punishment. Full stop. End of story.
Thank GD you're not a prosecutor. They overcharge as it is. Oh, maybe you should go back to law school and learn what intent is. Murder requires intent to commit murder, otherwise its not murder.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2018, 12:47:18 PM »
The victim was jewish...life for sure...maybe the death penalty. Only because the victim was jewish though.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2018, 01:07:03 PM »
The victim was jewish...life for sure...maybe the death penalty. Only because the victim was jewish though.
What would you suggest if the victim was black ?

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2018, 01:11:27 PM »
What would you suggest if the victim was black ?
They would investigate someone who killed a black person?

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2018, 01:13:04 PM »
They would investigate someone who killed a black person?
They sure as bloody hell would. Now what would you suggest we give the kid ?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2018, 01:15:05 PM »
Now what would you suggest we give the kid ?
Would the death penalty be to harsh? No pun intended but I am dead serious.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2018, 01:16:02 PM »
They sure as bloody hell would. Now what would you suggest we give the kid ?
I dont understand the question. He committed and intentional act that resulted in someones death.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2018, 01:18:42 PM »
I dont understand the question. He committed and intentional act that resulted in someones death.
You are understanding clearly. What sentence should he get?

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2018, 01:20:31 PM »
It’s possible he was drunk or stoned. Should that make any difference for sentencing ?
He’s still young & has his entire life ahead of him. What do we do ?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2018, 01:23:57 PM »
It’s possible he was drunk or stoned. Should that make any difference for sentencing ?
He’s still young & has his entire life ahead of him. What do we do ?
If you believe in the death penalty his age should not matter.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2018, 01:27:30 PM »
If you believe in the death penalty his age should not matter.
Oh I agree 100%. I’m asking those who do believe age matters.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2018, 01:47:50 PM »
You are understanding clearly. What sentence should he get?
Intentional premeditated murder life in prison always with possibility of parole. Manslaughter if it was a crime of passion, a term of years sufficient to act as punishment but give the person a chance to be rehabilitated.

Acting stupid and injuring people in the process should be punished as well. But thtowing numbers like 25 years because it sounds good to you is not right. Thats why you hope that the judge has the right temperment to decide what the proper sentence should be. Ive sat through many sentencings and to watch a judge hand out lengthy sentences without regard is heartbreaking.

Offline Boruch999

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2018, 02:02:57 PM »
Intentional premeditated murder life in prison always with possibility of parole. Manslaughter if it was a crime of passion, a term of years sufficient to act as punishment but give the person a chance to be rehabilitated.

Acting stupid and injuring people in the process should be punished as well. But thtowing numbers like 25 years because it sounds good to you is not right. Thats why you hope that the judge has the right temperment to decide what the proper sentence should be. Ive sat through many sentencings and to watch a judge hand out lengthy sentences without regard is heartbreaking.
Someone who has shown a propensity to act stupid in ways that could seriously injure people needs to be put immediately somewhere that  will reduce the chances of people getting hurt.  A secondary objective should be to try and help him reduce the likelihood of him acting stupid in dangerous ways.  Ideally, a civilized society should  have a place that fulfills both the primary and secondary objectives well.  Since it apparently does not,  unfortunately the need to protect the public requires he be incarcerated in a prison. From what you've reported, I don't know if the need to protect the public justifies putting him in Riker's.

Offline AJK

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2018, 02:05:04 PM »
Thank GD you're not a prosecutor. They overcharge as it is. Oh, maybe you should go back to law school and learn what intent is. Murder requires intent to commit murder, otherwise its not murder.

I'm not going to get into a legal debate on criminal intent and it's boundaries, especially because I have practiced criminal law, and you--as far as I know--have not. Fact remains, it's indisputable that he could be convicted of aggravated assault on a police officer, which carries the same Class-B Felony level of punishment that attempted murder does.

You don't get to run a police officer over with a 2000 pound projectile and then whine when the judge sentences you to prison for longer than what may be required to "rehabilitate" you.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2018, 03:30:55 PM »
I'm not going to get into a legal debate on criminal intent and it's boundaries, especially because I have practiced criminal law, and you--as far as I know--have not. Fact remains, it's indisputable that he could be convicted of aggravated assault on a police officer, which carries the same Class-B Felony level of punishment that attempted murder does.

You don't get to run a police officer over with a 2000 pound projectile and then whine when the judge sentences you to prison for longer than what may be required to "rehabilitate" you.
Oink oink oink
Police offficer or not does not justify 25 years and 8 1/2 - 25 is the upper end of the range usually reserved for those who lose at trial.

Oh and I did my share of criminal law plus learning a whole lot because of my case.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:44:19 PM by hvaces42 »